• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hancocks

earlgary

master brummie
Can anyone help me trace the year of my grandfathers death. He died in the early 1940's in a fire, which I always believed was at his place of work, which was Guest Keen and Nettlefolds in Selly Oak in Birmingham. His name was Herbert Hancocks at he lived in Reservoir Rd Selly Oak at the time of his death, I have searched but on lots of his information the name varies from Hancox to Handcock. If anyone could tell me if there was a fire at his place of work in the 1940's I would be most grateful.

Hi earlgary :) As he is your Grandfather do you have his Marriage Certificate?
If not it would be best to get it,,this would prove his full name so
avoiding the Hancocks/Handcocks/Hancox causing trace confusions,

Also this "fire" at GKN Selly Oak in the 40,s,, i suspect would be reported in
Local B,ham newspapers at that time so their Archives are worth a search.

Do you know his Age or (approx) at time of his sad loss,
Do you know your Grandmothers name,,his wife,, & possibly her Maiden name?
All info that you may be able to add to your post will help people on
this site to assist you to answer your Question, Cheers m8 JohnY :cool:

Last edited:
Thanks John. Yes I do have their marriage certificate, his name is stated as Hancocks he was born in 1887 so he would have been about 55 when he died. He married Annie Laura Gilliver in 1909 at St Johns Church Ladywood. He was also a corporal in the 3rd battalion South Staffs Regiment in the 1st world war. I have quite a bit of information but I am stuck with his death.

Hi again earlgary :)This is possibly your Herbert Hancocks in 1891 age 4.

1891 censu RG12 piece 2463 Folio 57 page 7
Residence @ Slade Lane, Yardley (Worcs at that time)
Head, Edward 37? & Wife Catherine, 35? Siblings Louisa 14, Catherine 10,
Edward 10, Sarah 7, HERBERT 4, Sydney 2,

Nearest death i can see so far is Herbert HANCOX age 57
reference B,ham 6d page 594 1st Quarter of 1943,

There is a William Hancocks age 55 B,ham 6d 735 2nd Quart 1941
but is a remote chance =possible ? though If wrong info given at death.

Marriage & Death certificates are not always "gospel", some have a few
mistakes,, spellings etc, ages , these are what the person Giving the info
"thought was right" at the time,,or just a little "white lie",,
Keep digging,, check the Newspapers,,

ps Good suggestion by Williams prior post :)
I have just checked the WW2 B,ham Bomb casualties list,
Herbert Hancocks (or any derivitive) not on it,,
Cheers JohnY :cool:

Hi John, thanks for your interest in this. I have Herbert Hancocks father given as Abel Hancocks on Herberts marriage certificate I have traced what I believe to be the family living at 17 Ada Rd Smethwick on both the 1891 and 1901 census, listed as Hancox. I think the 1943 date is probably the right one as when I searched it was the one that seemed likely this is the reason I was trying to find out if there was a fire at that time. Family folklore gets distorted over the years, but the story went he was trapped in the fire , they did manage to get him out but he died later. I know he is buried at Lodge Hill cemetry. While on the subject, can you tell me the best way of researching the archives of Newspapers, can you do this on line? I hope so because I don't live in Brum now and as I am a bit long in the tooth, don't get around much these days. Anyway thanks for your help, I have found this side of my family very hard to trace.

Back