• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hamstead Road Church Hill Handsworth

When we were children, when ever we went to play in Handsworth Park, we had always used to visit a house in Handsworth that was situated in a road that went off Hamstead Road, almost opposite the church, next to the park.

The entire frontage of the house had been illustrated, and one of the scenes was Adolph Hitler peeking out from behind a tree. Do any other members recall this house?

Barrie.

Hi Barrie
Just been thinking about your thread since the other day about your strange looking designed old house
And I have come to the conclusion you are correct it sorts of sticks in my mind strangely enough if you came out of the gates and crossed over and started to walk up the hill
On that Hampstead rd the road took habit of a little bend and then you came to a brick wall about three or four foot tall and it laid back in the grounds habit
From the rd it had a long paths to the house and it had a huge front garden with over grown bushes and trees and it looked derict but with old dirty curtains
Black as coal and you could realized it was deserted and would say its been empty for years and adjoining it more or less next door theatre was a even
A larger house in I think Victorian building but it did have a name to it I could not tell ypou the name but it did have one ASD a kid. I do recall a funny house shaped house because me and my mates as kids laughed to each other and said what a funny house the tree type bushes was overgrown and leaning over the was on the pavement it never looked like the house next door with its gravel drive this was in the fifty I wonder whether or not is it worth a changenl in trying to
Find out exactly what it was and if we had an old map of the Hampstead rd we could work it out there I believe there was a house called bussel house
I have not got a number for it now I used to deliver million that area in the sixties up that neck of the woods coming from holly rd and there was big houses
I used to deliver too I wonder if mike ASD got any old map of that Hampstead red going back possible 1920 /30 period and we could try and calculate it
I sincerely believe you are correct in what you are saying best wishes astonian

The photo of Churchill Road is amazing!!! I lived in one of the houses on the righthand side from 1959 until 1972. The second house from the right belonged to the Avery family. Mrs Avery's father built this row of houses between the market garden (as was, just off the photo to the right) in the early 1900s. He lived on Gibson Road. They do not appear on the 1911 census so were built just after that. We still have a piano that we bought off Mrs Avery when they retired to Uphill outside Weston Super Mare. It had been given to her on her 21st and every 6 months it would be tuned. The tuner wrote the date on the wood inside, the last date was in 1939, just before the war. Road on the left is Wellesbourne Road.

I lived at 180. It was divided into flats. Mrs Day lived on the top floor, we were on the bottom with the garden.
Hi there the wall on the left of the last piture looks like the wall of our back garden facing Radnor Rd if I am right , my brother and I would seek out as kids on our go home made go kart from plans from blue peter. We would turn left out the gate and ride down the hill.our gran always knew when we did , and came down after us with a big stick. Had no choice but to grin and bear it .or loose the kart

Not sure about the position of these shops, possibly replaced by the new buildings on the left of the modern view ? Viv.

4FFE8279-EDAF-491B-9889-437D09597786.jpeg18BF41AA-0D24-40CB-973A-91F054B8AFCC.jpeg

Back