• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hamstead Colliery

I visited the colliery in 61, with my school, arranged by "Coal Board", to see if any one wan
ted an apprenticeship, put me off coal mining for life. Paul

I seem to have missed out on the general conversations by some years! Anyway, I lived in Langdale Road in 1958 and my Dad worked at the pit. I have so many great memories of that time. Sliding down the slag heaps on corrugated iron sheets (how dangerous was that? Playing on the cut, and playing over on the "Mole-hole". Also going over to Big Jim's Wood. I went to Churchfields school and we had school buses that took us there. I lived with the Phillips Family at 70 Langdale Rd. Mrs Phillips,Berwin,Pamela,Irene & Gloria. I've never forgotten them and if anyone remembers them it would be great. I could go on (and on) but will stop now to draw breath!
P.S I eventually got in touch with Pamela.

My grandparents, dad, brothers & sisters moved up to Hamstead for grandad to work down Hamstead pit. My eldest uncle remained in South Wales as he had his own young family there. Nan & Gramps lived in the colliery house off Old Walsall Rd with the back yard overlooking the brickworks. Gramps and 2 uncles worked Hamstead pit until it closed (I think), Gramps retired and uncles moved one to Telford and one to Nuneaton to continue their mining careers. Nan & Gramps moved to West Bromwich when their house was due to be demolished. Dad never worked underground and spent most of his working life as a lorry and bus driver. The pictures here bring back so many memories, the area being a major part of my childhood years up until the mid 70's. My mom's parents came from Rockford Rd where I lived for the first 4 years of my life and subsequently spent most school summer holidays there from 6 years old upwards. Anybody remember the Probyn or Hickman families?

Apart from Hampstead, there was Jubilee Colliery. This mine was developed with a tramway to the canal at Sandwell Park Colliery. It was in West Bromwich, but was just on the border with Handsworth and had workings that went that way. There was also a sinking at Perry, but was stopped as little coal could be discovered. The Perry sinking did have a railway siding that linked with the London & North Western Railway.

Apart from Hampstead, there was Jubilee Colliery. This mine was developed with a tramway to the canal at Sandwell Park Colliery. It was in West Bromwich, but was just on the border with Handsworth and had workings that went that way. There was also a sinking at Perry, but was stopped as little coal could be discovered. The Perry sinking did have a railway siding that linked with the London & North Western Railway.
These sites all show on the Coal Board site

There are 18 photos on a commercial stock photos website link below. Adjust your browser zoom if you want to see them large without the watermarks ....

I agree Pete. I went down Radstock colliery in Somerset twice in the 1960s on visits. I'm not sure I would be prepared to do so today.

Back