• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hams Hall Power Station.

All the local History Books are for sale in the Local Undertakers ( Funeral Directors) and are all in the window

One of the best books on Hams Hall ( in photographs) is by a chap who used to work their.. Jeff Bellis from the building of it... to its demolition in 1993 packed with great photos of the men who use to work their and great pics of all over the site and inside the buildings
the cost is only £4.95p and you can get it from Coleshill High St or from
Mr & Mrs Bellis
P.O. Box 3911
Castle Bromwich
Birmingham
B36 HR

Thank you, Cromwell. I know Gascoignes well (for mostly the wrong reasons) so I shall pop in some time.

I am so dissapointed I went to coleshill today for my antiques fair and while I was there I going to get the book on hams hall from the high street and there it was in the window but I couldn't buy it they were closed, I'll have to go back on a weekday.

I am so dissapointed I went to coleshill today for my antiques fair and while I was there I going to get the book on hams hall from the high street and there it was in the window but I couldn't buy it they were closed, I'll have to go back on a weekday.​

Marlew,
Can I ask a favour please?

When you call back to get your book - would you please ask the people if they would post a copy to me please (ordinary UK postage to Wales) - could you ask the price of them posting a copy please? I know it's £4.95 from the previous poster here - I just want to write and send postage costs too for a copy of this book.

I would love to get a copy of this book for a stocking filler for my mum for Christmas - her dad (my Grandad) used to work there for many many years.

Grandad got very ill and died unfortunately - something to do with the coal etc.. from what I understand etc.. Grandad had very bad breathing problems and was on oxygen cannisters for a long time after working there.

Mum always used to walk us around by the Hams Hall when we were kids and show us where Grandad worked etc.. - so I am sure the book would be special for mums memories etc.. I was always amazed at the sheer size of this place!! Interesting to learn now what it was all about. Fascinating posts by everyone here I have collected some amazing photos towards my tree stuff THANK YOU (I hope nobody minds me copying)

Thank you. Don't worry if you forget - or don't see this message first - I can look the number up and ring and ask them how much - it's won't be a problem.

I got the book today it has got lots of photos in I was hoping maybe my grandad might have been in one of them but he wasn't, elizabeth I enquired if they would post you a copy but they weren't willing to do that so I bought a copy for you and I enquired how much the post would be and it is only 98p so if you PM me your address and I'll PM my address I will post it to you.

I've just started reading the book and Hams hall and they have a picture of the top two stories rebuilt in coates in cirencester, it as got some photos in it I am glad you told me about it.

Last edited:
I got the book today it has got lots of photos in I was hoping maybe my grandad might have been in one of them but he wasn't, elizabeth I enquired if they would post you a copy but they weren't willing to do that so I bought a copy for you and I enquired how much the post would be and it is only 98p so if you PM me your address and I'll PM my address I will post it to you.​

Thank you so much!! I can't thank you enough really I will PM you now :)

Just to let you all know I got a beautiful card and payment for the book off elizabeth a bit too much money, but I want to say what a lovely honest lot of people you are here I only wish I would have joined earlier as this site brings me so much enjoyment and happiness, thank you elizabeth and thank you all.

That's lovely to hear Mariew. You were also very kind to buy the book for Elizabeth and post it to her. As you say so many kind people sending information, books and photo's to each other. I am sure this site is quite unique!:)

Absolutely Mom P I don't know what I'd do with out this site I found so much about my family tree and of course my grandads work at hams hall, I just could not have got all of this info without all of you, your all such a great team.

I have just recieved a copies of my moms birth and marriage certificate off my brother, and on the birth certifcate in 1932 her father was a fitters labourer at hams hall but he must have worked his way up the ladder, because on moms marriage certificate in 1952 he was a foreman fitter, so he worked there at least 20. I must ask my uncle exactly how long he worked there.

I have just recieved an email from my uncle telling me that my grandad first started work at saltley power station when it first opened which is part of the same group as hams hall so he actually worked there for 30 years or more and even though he had cancer and had to retire from there he was that good at his job they asked him to come back to repair a generator that no one else could cope with, I am so proud of him.

Hams Hall Power Station

My father used to work at Hams Hall C Power Station, from the mid 1975 to 1984. His job was also as a fitter, eventually he moved on to work at Rugeley A Power Station as a fitter/crane driver. His name was Larry Todd, I have over the years collected original photographs, drawings and tons of information including technical specifications for the three stations that were once the largest generating complex in europe. I have found many original items of interest that were once stored on site at Hams Hall including being given an original fibreglass cooling tower, that was part of the power station scale model.

When look back I was lucky enough to spend alot of time at the Hams Hall site when I was younger, I remember the A Station demolition very well, and was there when the two 350ft chimneys were demolished. I also cried as well when that happened. I also remember a very loud cheer from some of the staff that worked in A Station, the reason for this? they were happy to see the station demolished, some of them stating it being a filthly dirty environment to work in particularly towards the end of the station's working life, they also stated A station was full of asbestos due to lagging on pipe work and insulation the trunking on the station boiler house was also asbestos lined and covered with a concrete fondue. My dad used to go and strip parts from A Station for use in B and C stations, and always remarked on how erie the place was when he as over there.

Hams A Station was also the place where the CEGB apprentices that were based on site at Hams, carried out there training. There baptism of fire in the world of power generation. I remember one engineer stating Hams A was a proper power station, utilising technology old and new, particularly the boiler plant the first half of the station pulverised fuel and the later chain grate stoker.

Hams Hall A was one of the very first super stations, built for baseload operation and without stations like hams A the super megawatt giants of today could of just been a pipe dream.

Anybody who has an interest in Hams Hall Power Station site is more than welcome to contact me.

Nice one Emerson, I'm glad to hear someone else cried when they demolished Hams Hall. I looked at those towers all my life from my bedroom window, even when I first got married I could still see the towers. What a scoop to have one of the model towers....:)
Regards

Very good post Emmerson. It's great to hear that private citizens are accumulating such important collections regarding such places as Hams Hall for historical knowledge purposes. This information will be especially valuable in the decades to come.
My father visited Hams Hall a lot and his job was regarding the switching of power in the power station and putting it on stream for the big electricity users in the Birmingham area. He worked for the Midlands Electricity Board and after a few years in Bournville they made him mobile and Hams Hall was one of his regular "calls".

Back