• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hams Hall power station

Lynne Fenwick

This is my first post,just wondered if anyone knows where I can get any history books etc re Hams Hall,my husband Peter Fenwick was apprentice at power station 1959-1963 and was there a few years after and he often speaks of time there, I would like to get him some memories if possible :untroubled:

January 1939, Birmingham Mail reports the explosion under a bridge carrying the electricity supply to Coleshill. One of a series of explosions across the country, suspected to have been carried out by the IRA.

IMG_7588.jpg

I remember going on a school trip to Hams Hall power station, not sure I learnt much about it then though ,not really a girly thing

Did "a weeks work experience" at Hams Hall, guess it must have been July '58. Interview in Moseley, Wake Green Road. Used to have to cycle from Garretts Green. Weather must have been good. Dimly remember taking samples of coal and using a bomb calorimeter and of coolant from the turbines to check for algae.

Couple more photos one from historic England and one of the construction, Warwickshire county Records.

Aerial view of Hams Hall Electricity Station during construction. It lies between Water Orton and Lea Marston. 1928
IMAGE LOCATION: (Warwickshire County Record Office)
Reference: PH, 352/117/25, img: 4457
This image is subject to copyright restrictions.

Attachments

• Hams Hall 1.jpg
    Hams Hall 1.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 12
  • Hams hall construction.jpg
    Hams hall construction.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 12
I recall a documentary on the TV where a test pilot for Spitfires saying when flew on a test flight from Castle Bromwich he and his fellow pilots would use the Towers at Hams Hall as visual reference points to navigate their route back to Castle Bromwich landing strip , and they would also reference the steam clouds from the towers if the cloud cover was low

Going . .. going ... gone. Explosives bring an end to the career of one of six 210ft high cooling towers at the redundant Hams Hall A power station, near Coleshill. Two more will be demolished next month and the rest in January.
(November 1977, Birmingham Post)

IMG_3478.jpeg

Back