• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hampden Street Balsall Heath

Hi jacko and all, I have open the file of photo in google and saved the file as its original file then opened in a photo program which I then converted to a jpg file so here it is on internet Explorer

mrs compton.jpg

hope you don't mind. pud

Carolina

Hampden St was in Balsall Heath at one time, it ran downhill from Vincent St to Wenman St. I lived just over the road from it in Vincent Street with my grandparents just after I was born and now and again throughout my younger life. I attach a very early map, before the bombing of WW2.

Phil

Attachments

• Hampden St.JPG
    Hampden St.JPG
    131.7 KB · Views: 25
My wife Carol Hunt lived at No 1 when we started going out together in 1967 they had moved from St Martins Flats some time in the early 60's

friends of mine had the rose and crown top of hampden st the roulstons Ronnie and jean I lived in wenman st 99 the byatts .

friends of mine had the rose and crown top of hampden st the roulstons Ronnie and jean I lived in wenman st 99 the byatts .

Hi the roulstons were my family auntie Jean was my dads sister I have wondered where the family all went a think Robert & Tanya are still in Birmingham it would be nice to find them x

My Great Great Grandfather 1811 to 1888, lived at Hampden Street Ballsall Heath, (probate records ) anybody got any pics of area then and now ¿ . and if you know where this road is please

Doing a bit of my genealogy and find a G/G/G Uncle and family lived at 35 Hampden Street Balsall Heath found a Hampden Retreat off Mary Street anybody know of a Hampden St or is it this Retreat thank you

Thank you for that just looked on Google Maps and street does not seem to be there anymore

Last edited by a moderator:
Just joined this forum noticed a few threads about Hampden street balsall heath.
My grandparents the Rickards and my mom Barbara lived there definitely in the 1930's until 1960's my nan was Madge ,grandad Fred mom was Barbara.
Does anyone remember anything ,mom has alchzimers so trying to use her past as stimulant for her.

Welcome Lambie. I’m moving your post to the Hampden Street thread. I have merged the threads you mention so they’re now in one place. Viv.

Edit - done.

Hi, this message is to all contributors to the above pages about Hampden St. The street is a 'blind spot' on my memory of Balsall Heath. I was raised in the middle section of Mary St Edward Rd/Belfour St. Then in 55/56 moved to the top of Sherbourne Rd (Arter St and upward). I write (volunteer) for Balsall Heath Local History Society's Gazette and have been relating BH peoples family history. What was a 'blind spot for me was anywhere on the other side of Moseley Rd, i.e Clifton Rd, Brunswick Rd, St Paul's Rd, and Ombersley (although opposite Sherbourne across the Moseley Rd). I have covered much of them now. I should know more than I do about Hampton, since Knutsford, Wenman, Pearson St are familiar to me, as I passed the Junction many times as I walked the length of Wenman St to get from Sherbourne to the church in George St. So I would like to hear from people with family stories back up with photos.
I don't know how we get to connect off the forum, but I know there will help here.
Jim F

Hi, this message is to all contributors to the above pages about Hampden St. The street is a 'blind spot' on my memory of Balsall Heath. I was raised in the middle section of Mary St Edward Rd/Belfour St. Then in 55/56 moved to the top of Sherbourne Rd (Arter St and upward). I write (volunteer) for Balsall Heath Local History Society's Gazette and have been relating BH peoples family history. What was a 'blind spot for me was anywhere on the other side of Moseley Rd, i.e Clifton Rd, Brunswick Rd, St Paul's Rd, and Ombersley (although opposite Sherbourne across the Moseley Rd). I have covered much of them now. I should know more than I do about Hampton, since Knutsford, Wenman, Pearson St are familiar to me, as I passed the Junction many times as I walked the length of Wenman St to get from Sherbourne to the church in George St. So I would like to hear from people with family stories back up with photos.
I don't know how we get to connect off the forum, but I know there will help here.
Jim F
Hi Jim

Welcomed to Birmingham History Forum. Members can either reply to questions you post on the forum, or they can even send each other private messages via our Start Conversation facility.

To do this, you just need to click the envelope icon at the top right hand side and then click start conversation. Pick the name of the person you wish to talk too and away you go.

Hi jhunter
i lived in hampden st from 1942 till 1961 i lived at 23 and then no1, the builders where griffith and hutton , my gran lived at 24 and the prices lived at 25 , the rickards at 26 , this was in the 1940,s to the 1960,s
dave
Hi just read this my you said the Rickards lived at 26 they were my grandparents and their daughter Barbara my mom, nice to know .
If you have any info would be great as mom has dementia but loves to talk about the past.

Back