• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hampden Street Balsall Heath

mikejee

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have the two photographs below. Both are taken of one end of Hampden St when the area was being demolished, but am not sure at which end they were taken, Wenman St or Vincent St. Can anyone help?

Mike

27___Junc__of_Hampden_st_wenman_stB.jpg

30___Junc__of_Hampden_st_wenman_stB_.jpg

Hi mikejee,

They are both at the junction of Hampden Street and Wenman Street at the bottom of a hill that I rode down hundreds of times on my soapbox go cart.

Phil

I lived at 23 Hampden st and when imarried my wife i lived at No 1 , my wife lived in 56 weman st 2doors from the shop.it brings back happy memories .

The blue shopped front was the fish shop if i recall right and just down from that was the old wenman street boys club which was never opened while i lived in the street

JACKO

hi jacko
i lived in 23 hampden street in 1941 till 1959 and when i got married in 1960 i moved to 1 hampden street, the shop you remember was a green grocers owned by mrs kay,we moved from hampden street about 1963 and down to mary street , the boys club was still open in the fifties.
all for now
ringo39

HI RINGO
That blue coloured shop became a fish shop and must have changed when mrs kay sold it?

JACKO

Thank you for information on Hampden Street. My mother was born at no. 25 in 1913. Her mother Sarah Jones was servant, living with a William Rea at that time. Does anyone have any more information on her or the road etc?? Thank you

Does anyone have any information on Hampden Street Balsall Heath, especially No 25 in 1913. Thank you.

Hi jhunter

All I can tell you is Hamden St was a hill ran ran downhill from Vincent St to Wenman St, in my youth a lot later than 1913 there was a builders yard on the Vincent St Corner with the Rose & Crown pub opposite. On the two corners at the bottom of the hill were two shops.

Phil

There's this for the 1912 electoral roll

Year________Ward________________qual_____________First name__Surname__House number__________Abode/Other info__________________Street
1912---Balsall Heath Ward---dwelling house (successive)-----William-------Bea-------14 Hampden---14 Hampden street and 25 Hampden street---Hampden street

Last edited:
Thank you for information. Nice to hear something about the street as it seems to have vanished.

Thanks for information, didn't realise that William Rea lived at no 14 as well. He must have owned two houses.

Hi jhunter
i lived in hampden st from 1942 till 1961 i lived at 23 and then no1, the builders where griffith and hutton , my gran lived at 24 and the prices lived at 25 , the rickards at 26 , this was in the 1940,s to the 1960,s
dave

This is a picture of mrs compton on hampden street and remember her sons tony and david and picture was taken in 1970
mrs compton.gif

Thanks bernie. Never had that problem before. It works fine with google chrome and firefox, but aol just gives box with file size saying click . when I do this i just get red cross in corner of screen. still doesn't matter as other browsers are ok,

Reading a large number of reports on this problem, the fault seems to lie with Internet Explorer. If I right click on the place where the image should be and 'Save Picture As' to anywhere on the computer it can then be opened! Best thing would be to convert the picture to a jpg and repost it.

.........5 minutes later! I have noticed that when I saved the picture it saved as a jpg, not a gif so it appears that something is changing the extension on your file from jpg to gif. This has also been mentioned in the reports I've read but I haven't yet found anyone who has come up with a solution!

Back