• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hamnett Photographer

Shortie

master brummie
I have found a photograph taken by a photographic studio called Hamnett - the address give is 197 Bristol Street. I am interested in what years they were there, as I want to try and date the photograph. It's 1912ish I think.

Shortie

ive found hamnett at 197 bristol street from 1904 to 1921. the next available kellys is 1932 and i cant see it there

Thanks Shera. I was hoping he would have moved his studio at some time so I could identify this photo's date. At least I know it was not prior to 1904. The fiancee was dead by 1921, but knowing where to look for his death is difficult. Many thanks.

Shortie

1903 John Barker , photographer
1904-1912 Hamnett photographers
1913-1921 Hamnett Ltd photographers
1932 Parker, L. furrier
So it will depend whether it says Hamnett or Hamnett Ltd on the photo
mike

Thank you Mike. That helps a lot. It just says Hamnett, so that does put a limit on it. Would they have had a long engagement? What was the fashion in those days - long or short? The family know the fiancee was killed but that is all, and with the name of William Webb, it's not easy to find where he came from. I think a few more grey hairs are going to appear, but at least you have given me a cut off date for the photo. Many thanks again.

Shortie

I want to say thanks for this as well, as I too am trying to date a Hamnett photo. 1904-1912 is pretty good, cheers.

I have found a photograph taken by a photographic studio called Hamnett - the address give is 197 Bristol Street. I am interested in what years they were there, as I want to try and date the photograph. It's 1912ish I think.

Shortie
I also have a photo by Hamnett. Mine is of a group of four obviously related gentlemen, one of which is I think, my maternal grandfather. As well as the Bristol Street address, it also says "and 54 The Parade Leamington".

My grandfather was not with the rest of his family in Rednal at the time of the 1911 census. I know he spent some years in Canada around this time, so that is presumably the reason for his absence from the census. Thus, I would put the date of the photo a bit earlier than your quote of 1912, say 1905?

Ex Seneschal

Last edited:
Back