• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hallam House, Handsworth?, Birmingham

There is a Hallam Street Hospital in Hallam Street West Bromwich - I took a look at it on street view and it has a very old building facing the road. I then found this site

https://www.westbrompaupers.org.uk/westbromworkhouse.html

which mentions Hallam House (scroll down to the bottom of the page)

Local Government Act 1929

The Workhouse (Hallam House) passed to the Public Assistance Committee and was eventually closed in 1937.

There is also a picture - ' a view of the workhouse showing the Guardians boardroom' - it seems to be the same building that is now part of Hallam Street Hospital

Could this be it? By the thirties - when your relaltive died most workhouses were used as hospitals.

Well done Sue great piece of detective work. The information on Hallam House is useful to me as well thank you.

Glad it is of interest to you Wendy :adoration: Hopefully it is the Hallam House that ricardo7 is looking for.

Back