• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hall Of Memory - Online Remembrance Books

Thanks for the link Terry. So many names. My Uncle Bill was killed in France in l915 and I have vague recollections of his name not being in the Hall of Memory. The link confirms this. Do you know why that is please? Thanks

Terry,

Thanks for the link. As my mum was a war widow I always wanted to be able to look through that book, even when I was a child.

Graham.

Thank you for this other link, .
Have been able to look up many Birmingham relatives who lost their lives .
I often walk past the Hall of Memory yet so far have never visited.

Bo

Hi Graham: No joy with the search for the Hall of Memory book for you also.I only found one out of three...my cousin's first husband who was a Royal Air Force pilot shot down in France a few weeks after he was married. So at least I have one. Hopefully, Terry can explain why some are missing.:)

Does anyone know the criteria used in deciding what names would be put in the book.? How were the names collected? Was it by public submission.?
If it was the latter then I can understand why my uncles who were killed in 1917 and 1942 respectively are not in it. Can imagine my relatives not putting their names forward through lack of comprehension.
Will.

Many thanks Terry - I have some messages sent from the front which came from my late MiL's brothers. I will do a bit of looking around.

I have looked through the book for my grandmother's brother, John Henry Martin, who was killed at Braisne, France in September 1914. He was in the Royal Scots. I have tried various combinations without any luck.

I think you might be right Will, in that the names were possibly put in by public submission. If this is so, I can understand why his family didn't enter his name as it was an extremely traumatic time for them. He had received a severe shell wound to the abdomen and was hospitalised, and died 3 weeks later, but it took the family almost a year to find out what had happened to him. I was lucky enough to find all the information on Ancestry's British Army WW1 Service Records - all 76 pages of it, with all the letters going to and from between the War Office and the family. Very upsetting reading.

Judy

Hi Maurice

Thanks for mentioning that and, yes, I have already found him on the CWGC.org site. He is remembered on the La Ferte-Sous-Jouarre Memorial.

Judy

Same here Michael's grandfather John Pockett is not listed neither is my Dad's cousin Trevor Manning Davies. There is a Pockett commemorated and being an unusual name I will have to look at the Commonwealth War Graves site for him.

How lovely to see the Hall of Memory on line. So many more people can look up friend and family.
Thank you so much for letting us all know.

Thank you Terry, my Cousin is in the Book, I saw it years ago, nice to see it again.

He died in action with the Chindits 1944

Just found a brother-in-law I never knew, Albert J. Sayers, R.A.F.V.R.he was killed over Cologne in March 1945, after serving all through the war, so sad just a few weeks before the end.

9(This is my first ever post so trust it reaches the right area?)

I am carrying out some research into soldiers who died in the Malayan Emergency 1948-1960. I can tell from the Imperial War Museum's List of Uk War Memorials that a soldier is listed on the Witton Road Jewish Cemetery's War Memorial for 'Malaya 1949'. No name is given.

Does anyone out there know the name please.

Thank you

I wandered into the Hall of Memory by accident whilst on a course in Broad Street, and thought what a beautiful and peaceful building it is. I returned last week to show some family members, and found the book open on the page of the relative we lost - Fred Collett, drowned on the Good Hope in 1914. It really is a special monument.

Kate

A belated thanks for the link Terry.
Like others, I can't find my Great Uncle in the book, he was DCLI in WW1.
Could it be that men from Smethwick would not have been included in the Fallen of Birmingham ?

Hi MaypoleBaz,

Yes. It was no doubt because he did not come from Birmingham. Smethwick has never been in Birmingham and, almost certainly, has its own Memorial. It was previously in Staffordshire.

Old Boy

Thanks Old Boy, I feared as much.
Having found him on the Smethwick Roll of Honour I discovered that they'd listed his regiment as DLI instead of DCLI. It was only one letter but it caused a lot of head scratching !

Thanks Old Boy, I feared as much.
Having found him on the Smethwick Roll of Honour I discovered that they'd listed his regiment as DLI instead of DCLI. It was only one letter but it caused a lot of head scratching !
Hi Baz have you found your great uncle,s C.W.G.C certificate. Michael

Several years ago I was successful in having my two relatives who were killed in action in world war one added to the roll of honour. This involved a ceremony at the Hall of Memory, which was attended by various dignitaries from the armed forces, and several veterans and public figures. Also included was lunch afterwards at the Lord Mayor`s invitation.
I was blown away by the whole thing, and was very moved by the ceremony itself, and by the thought that my two previously unmentioned relatives had now received recognition for their sacrifice. However, to this day my relatives do not appear on the on-line version of the Roll of Honour, as the website has not been updated since 2007.
I have sent three polite emails to them over the years, simply to ask when they may be planning to update their list, but all three emails have not even received the courtesy of a reply. I have to say that I am very disappointed with the lack of response that I have received from the contact at the Hall of memory, and did not expect to meet with such rudeness from them.

​Carpet of Red Geranium`s, has been planted all around the Hall Of Memory

Attachments

• 21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 160.jpg
    21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 160.jpg
    524.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 162.jpg
    21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 162.jpg
    572.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 164.jpg
    21st May 2014 Wednesday 1 164.jpg
    401 KB · Views: 9
HI Dave M
Thanks for the up date on the hall of memory regarding the planting a blanket of geraniums [ red ]
i would like to sday how good it s the council doing that ; because years ago the hall always looked splendid
because it was some think they always done back in the fiftys red geraniums all around the hall ;
and on a sunny day it makes a cracking picture
a blanket or geraniums [ red ] thats what i recall from all those years back and when they slabbed around it
It lost its gloriuos look [ well done council i say ] now bring back the fountain of colours ; best wishes astonian;

Back