• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hall Green Technical College

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
Might bring back some memories. The new college opened in October 1960. Viv.

8028E720-0ED2-4FA9-910E-6420140F47CD.jpeg
62D111F1-623B-4A18-BCE5-4D397ED340C0.jpeg
799D8ABB-15C8-4664-A94F-511CD97A516A.jpeg
D70B43A9-A03C-4A18-86DC-FABEC9B5CB16.jpeg

Attachments

• FDFC49A7-B8B8-4035-ACB6-69CB8E15A87A.jpeg
    FDFC49A7-B8B8-4035-ACB6-69CB8E15A87A.jpeg
    218.9 KB · Views: 14
  • A39EEC18-5B80-4F48-82C1-2ABA610A8CB7.jpeg
    A39EEC18-5B80-4F48-82C1-2ABA610A8CB7.jpeg
    256.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FAFBA381-B8A2-415F-91A9-7706ADACBA19.jpeg
    FAFBA381-B8A2-415F-91A9-7706ADACBA19.jpeg
    139.4 KB · Views: 14
Hi Viv,
I remember the college well,i went there on day release from 1965 to 1970 as an apprentice mechanic,made some good friends,learned quite a lot & had a lot of fun (some of which i won't go into),i wonder how many of them carried on in the trade as i did until i retired.
I shall have to try & remember some names of who taught us.
many thanks
Ogri

Went to a lecture at Cadbury's by Mr Sheppard-Fidler about design of Birmingham Council houses. Probably 1958 or thereabouts. Was a pupil at Hall Green Tech very early 1960's Did a NEBBS management course followed by a City & Guilds in engineering or maybe the other way around.

Hi Viv,
I remember the college well,i went there on day release from 1965 to 1970 as an apprentice mechanic,made some good friends,learned quite a lot & had a lot of fun (some of which i won't go into),i wonder how many of them carried on in the trade as i did until i retired.
I shall have to try & remember some names of who taught us.
many thanks
Ogri
Hi Ogri, I also went to Hall Green Tech on the apprentice Mechanics course but from 1970-74. Is Ogri the name of a comic character. A motor bike magazine as I recall?

Hi Ogri, I also went to Hall Green Tech on the apprentice Mechanics course but from 1970-74. Is Ogri the name of a comic character. A motor bike magazine as I recall?
Hi Peter,
Yes that's the one,comes from a life of motor cycling.
Stay safe
OGRI

Hi Ogri, yes. think it was Bike magazine. I remember the first copy and looked forward to every copy.
My first bike BSA Bantam, then Honda, then straight to a Kawasaki Z1R, the first of a number of big Kawasakis. Still have a couple of bikes in a lock up, lol. All the best.

I recall he was a character on the back page of a bike magazine. He had a pal called Malcom Thrasher. I used to ride a Tiger Cub

I spent 12 months at hall Green Tech for the 1970-1971 year. This was after my several previous and unhappy years at George Dixon Grammar school when, after a poor academic showing, I was told by one of the particularly acidic teachers that “somebody has to sweep the roads.” Subsequently I know that I developed a poor attitude that resulted in me leaving with only 3 ‘O’ levels. One year later at Hall Green Tech. I gathered up 5 more ‘O’s with grades 1 in Maths and English language and 3’s in Physics, Chemistry and English literature. Clearly, I responded to the attitude of the teaching staff at Hall Green, that all students be treated as young adults and not as potential road sweepers. I forget the names of the teachers as 50 years has taken its toll, but I will always be grateful for their professionalism and helpful natures. My only regret is that I didn't stay on for further education there.

View attachment 145166
View attachment 145165
View attachment 145167
View attachment 145169

View attachment 145166
View attachment 145165
View attachment 145167
View attachment 145169
I have just come across the Birmingham History Forum and mentions of Hall Green Technical College, brought me back happy memories of the two years that I spent there in 1960 and 1961 to complete my GCE exams. I was one of the 300 odd founder students that were sent to Swanshurst Girls School for the first few weeks whilst the new College building was being completed. Swanshurst School made us very welcome despite the overcrowding and logistics of catering temporally for male students. As one who had come from an all boys school, this was quite an eye opener!

It was good to move into the smart new college building with its lecture rooms and restaurant to the left of the photograph and practical work shops to the right of the photograph below:

IMG_0378.jpgHead of Commerce I think was Mr Skinner and other lecturers included Mr Thomas – Geography, Mrs Lynn – English, Mr Preston – Social Studies and Mrs Hay - Mathematics

The transition from a strict boys only school to the freedom of Hall Green Tech was like a breath of fresh air and I loved every minute of my time there.

I spent 12 months at hall Green Tech for the 1970-1971 year. This was after my several previous and unhappy years at George Dixon Grammar school when, after a poor academic showing, I was told by one of the particularly acidic teachers that “somebody has to sweep the roads.” Subsequently I know that I developed a poor attitude that resulted in me leaving with only 3 ‘O’ levels. One year later at Hall Green Tech. I gathered up 5 more ‘O’s with grades 1 in Maths and English language and 3’s in Physics, Chemistry and English literature. Clearly, I responded to the attitude of the teaching staff at Hall Green, that all students be treated as young adults and not as potential road sweepers. I forget the names of the teachers as 50 years has taken its toll, but I will always be grateful for their professionalism and helpful natures. My only regret is that I didn't stay on for further education there.
I was there in 70/71 doing O levels... great times!

Well said Harry, you have echoed the sentiments of many of the pupils of that period . Where if the majority of a class were categorised as poor then it was the pupils issue, never the Teachers issue !!
I (and I suspect many more) suffered from Teachers who could not motivate or inspire their pupils and as a result were classed as idiots or stupid as they did not understand a principle or theory immediately.
Like you I left school with no qualifications but via an apprenticeship and further education at technical colleges and later university where I received professional and structured input from dedIcated and caring teachers I flourished academically.

Well said Harry, you have echoed the sentiments of many of the pupils of that period . Where if the majority of a class were categorised as poor then it was the pupils issue, never the Teachers issue !!
I (and I suspect many more) suffered from Teachers who could not motivate or inspire their pupils and as a result were classed as idiots or stupid as they did not understand a principle or theory immediately.
Like you I left school with no qualifications but via an apprenticeship and further education at technical colleges and later university where I received professional and structured input from dedIcated and caring teachers I flourished academically.
Covroad, unfortunately I think there were many of us(for various reasons) that suffered those consequences. Congratulations on your success!

Back