• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hall Green Map

B

Brummie Lad

I'm looking for a map around 1905 of Hall Green/Acocks Green can anyone help? I have found a 1901 map but need a slighlty later one.

I see ya live in Brum so go to the Brum Central Library 6th Floor Map section and they have all you want their, some can be copied or take a digital camera with you and take a snap yourself

Cheers Cromwell, I'll try and get up there next week. I want it to try and date my house which I believe to be an Edwardian terrace but I'm finding it hard to find out the year it was built. I hope Birmingham library hold the old close detailed OS maps. Someone told me I might have to go to the British Library in London to get a very close up map.

If you'd let us know the address, perhaps one of us could give you a clue. You will have noticed that we have a vast corporate knowledge, even if much of it is no use to anyone. There wasn't a lot going on in Hall Green in Edwardian times, although a lot had been built at Acocks Green by the station. Some lovely Victorian villas.
Peter

I have a copy of the deeds but they do not seem to say the year the house was built. My next door neighbour told me the houses were 1905 but I think it may be a bit later maybe 1910. Peter the row of terraces is on Lakey Lane Hall Green (the very far end from Gospel Lane), a terraced row of 12 houses (numbers 13-35) running from the corner of Lakey Lane at Fox Hollies Road. The rest of the street is interwar time semis many of which were built by Dares Builders in the early to mid 30's. I have a map from 1900 and the row of terraces is not there but on a map from 1937 it is there so these are my date parameters. The houses are typical early 20th century terraces with slate roofs and sqaure bays, long galley kitchen etc. Basically the same as most the terraces found in Kings Heath(or most other areas of the UK). It just seems unusal in Hall Green where there are very few other terraces and nearly the whole district seems to have been farmland prior to the 20's/30's when thousands of semis were built.
The area is actually a designated conservation area by Birmingham City Council and this is where I found the 1900 and 1937 map of my house. I would appreciate any information anyone could give me.

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/ELibrary?E_LIBRARY_ID=411&a=1173295059423

https://www.birmingham.gov.uk/ELibrary?E_LIBRARY_ID=227&a=1120040605062

On this PDF you can see the 1900 (the road marked 1425-498 is Lakey Lane) and 1937 maps (the time between these maps the terraced row appears)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back