• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hales & Sons Warehouse Leach Lane Ladywood

Stokkie

master brummie
My mother, Edith Chinn worked there for seventeen and a half years starting bagging sugar age 14 in 1921. It was a wholesale grocers. Leach Lane disappeared in the 1960s, but ran from Monument Road to Freeth Street. These pictures of Edith with her workmates were taken in the Summer of 1939 on her leaving to work at the Co-op. She would walk to work from Reservoir Terrace, Osler Street. The boss with moustache is Mr Turfrey. The warehouse kept several cats to deal with with the ever present rats and mice and Edith adopted a series of kittens, but they were always pretty wild. Does anyone know more about Hales and Sons or Leach Lane? Edith on left in top picture.IMG_1703.jpegIMG_1707.jpeg

Back