• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hairdressing & barbering

Remember when hair shampoo used to come in sachets ? I used to buy them when I had a Saturday job at Boots because the only shampoo in our house was Vosene. I really liked beer shampoo.

Mum used to remind me that when she was young, they'd collect rainwater to wash their hair in and claimed it turned out beautifully. Have to say I do wonder why this was, given she lived in a mill polluted town in Yorkshire. Viv.

Last edited:
Remember when hair shampoo used to come in sachets ? I used to buy them when I had a Saturday job at Boots because the only shampoo in our house was Vosene. I really liked beer shampoo.

Mum used to remind me that when she was young, they'd collect rainwater to wash their hair in and claimed it turned out beautifully. Have to say I do wonder why this was given she lived in a mill polluted town in Yorkshire. Viv.
Viv, most likely that the rain water was softer than their tap water. Soft water lathers and washes much better. In Brum we were spoiled with Elan Valley water! I did some work with industrial washing (metal parts) and the first thing was to check the water hardness! Your Mom was correct (aren’t they always) :)

Think it must have been 'Linco' then Rosie. Rings a bell with me. Maybe the name came from the name Lincoln you've suggested. It had great conditioning qualities. You squeezed it out of the sachet and it had the texture of thick cream. Remember this would have been before hair conditioner came onto the market.

Viv

Viv. Likely to be the water being soft, but I wonder if there might also have been some lanolin from wsshing teh sheep's wool. Not sure how that would affect hair though

Now you mention lanolin Mike I think quite a few products had that in. I suppose it was the equivalent of early conditioner. I especially remember Bristow's Lanolin Shampoo as it was advertised on TV. Viv

Here it is. But I don't remember powdered shampoo. Must have been like washing your hair in laundry soap powder ! Viv.

Screenshot_20231112_154031_Chrome.jpg

After all the loving care put in to treating your hair to a nourishing beer shampoo wash, what did you do next? Back comb it and spray it with a mass of Sunsilk hairspray to keep it all in place ! My mum used to get her hair 'combed up' into a chignon virtually every other day (ie not washed every time) followed by a good spraying of hair lacquer. Remember lacquer? I never used it but presumably it was heavier than hairspray. Viv.

Yes it was choking Pete !

When I was about 16, I went and got my long hair cut short. My mum was absolutely horrified. So she got some really pricey hairpiece from a hairdresser friend of hers for me to wear. At first I objected, but as time went I the started to wear the hairpiece 'up'. It was actually really nice. I used to put rollers in it before a night out using Amani setting lotion to set the curls. Then when I took the rollers out, I'd give the lightly combed-out curls a good old dose of Sunsilk hairspray. Finally, I'd scrape my own (now short) hair back and attach the ringletty hairpiece to the back of my head with loads of grips to keep it in place. Nice memories (for my mum too, as in her opinion she'd save me from a "major hair disaster" after having my own chopped off) . Viv.

Last edited:
What's with all these gents hairdressers. I live in a large village, population around 10,000. Twenty years ago we had just one, then the two guys each opened their own shop. Now we have SIX the most recent is a plush Turkish style. I can't comment on how good they each are as I have stuck with one of the original two.

Rose Evansky, who has died aged 94, was the inventor of the "blow wave", the technique of using a hand-held dryer and hairbrush on loose, wet hair to create soft, natural waves; her method is still the standard for a professional blow dry today and brought an end to the traditional overhead hood dryers and tight perms ..

Now you mention lanolin Mike I think quite a few products had that in. I suppose it was the equivalent of early conditioner. I especially remember Bristow's Lanolin Shampoo as it was advertised on TV. Viv
I think you are right Viv, it seemed that with my sister & mother lanolin was a MUST have!

Yes it was choaking Pete !

When I was about 16, I went and got my long hair cut short. My mum was absolutely horrified. So she got some really pricey hairpiece from a hairdresser friend of hers for me to wear. At first I objected, but as time went I the started to wear the hairpiece 'up'. It was actually really nice. I used to put rollers in it before a night out using Amani setting lotion to set the curls. Then when I took the rollers out, I'd give the lightly combed-out curls a good old dose of Sunsilk hairspray. Finally, I'd scrape my own (now short) hair back and attach the ringletty hairpiece to the back of my head with loads of grips to keep it in place. Nice memories (for my mum too, as in her opinion she'd save me from a "major hair disaster" after having my own chopped off) . Viv.
viv up until i was 16 mom kept my hair shortish mainly due to the old nits we could catch at school...soon as i hit 16 and even though i stayed on for an extra year she deemed me old enough to make my own decisions and look after my hair myself so i grew it long and that is how it remains now...extra short hair just does not suit me at all :rolleyes:

lyn

Rose Evansky, who has died aged 94, was the inventor of the "blow wave", the technique of using a hand-held dryer and hairbrush on loose, wet hair to create soft, natural waves; her method is still the standard for a professional blow dry today and brought an end to the traditional overhead hood dryers and tight perms ..
Pete. It certainly did revolutionise hairdressing, as have hair straighteners in more recent times. Sitting under a hairdryer for up to an hour to get your rollered hair to dry was a major exercise.Then it would have to be styled afterwards. We had a sit-under hairdryer at home that sat on the table and you sat underneath. It took longer than a salon hairdryer to dry hair. We also had a hand held Pifco hairdryer. I was always cautious after seeing the Coronation Street episode when Ken Barlow's first Corrie wife was electrocuted with one.

I think curling tongs have been around for a very long time, but you wouldn't use electric ones on wet hair. When I was very little it was rags in my hair at night to get ringlets by morning. And they were soft to sleep in. And if hair was still wet at bedtime, a plait was the answer which would turn you into a Pre-Raphaelite beauty by morning.

What's with all these gents hairdressers. I live in a large village, population around 10,000. Twenty years ago we had just one, then the two guys each opened their own shop. Now we have SIX the most recent is a plush Turkish style. I can't comment on how good they each are as I have stuck with one of the origtea or coff eeinal two.
The Turkish ones are very good and you get a cup of tea or coffee thrown in. £25 for a shave with hot towels, shampoo and haircut. They are Kurds by the way, but Turkish has more recognition.
Bob

Do not mention the egg shampoo! When I was about 9 years old in order to save money my mum made me an egg shampoo with washing liquid and obviously an egg.

When she washed my hair, the water she used to rinse was a little to warm and the egg set in my hair took us ages to pick it all out!

My grandmother was giving a bottle of liquid soft soap and told that one teaspoon is sufficient. Needless to say, she put half a bottle on her head that promptly set into a soapy cake. My mom said that had to use a couple of gallons of water to rinse it out.

Many years ago we bought one of those comb things with a blade in the base, it was dangerous! It was supposed to thin and layer the hair but ours just took chunks out! Mom had some neck clippers too but she dropped them and a few teeth broke so they didn't glide proprly after that.
rosie.

Back