• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hadleys

Vixen

master brummie
Not sure where to put this, whether under general genealogy help, surname interests or lost family. But here goes. Im after some help once more, as this side of my family is proving quite difficult to pin down.
Im looking for information on the following, particularly death dates, and confirmation of marriages and/or children.
My grandad was George Hadley born 8th Feb 1924 and he died April 1st 2002.
George was born in birmingham, and married Vera Swinden.
George's parents were John William Hadley and May E Johns. I do have the marriage certificate of his parents. Ive already posted here previously regarding May's mother, Matilda Mayes. May's dad was George Johns.
George had some siblings: Edna V hadley 1922 (I believe died 1949) who married William H Thomason. Unsure but I believe William was born 1920 but thats all the info I have. Ive no idea if they had children. Another sibling was Percy Ernest Hadley 8th April 1920-1993. I came across a possible marriage record but I believe Percy's name was spelt incorrectly. If so, he married a Gladys M (Cleghorn?).
Perey E Hadley
Registration Date 04/1954 Registration QuarterApr-May-Jun Registration district Birmingham Inferred County Warwickshire Spouse Gladys M Cleghorn. However, if this is an error and is the correct information, Im struggling to find anything out about Gladys so any help appreciated. In 1962 on an electoral roll I found this Percy E Hadley Residence Year1962 Ward or Division/ConstituencyDistricts 625 to 732 Street Address 49 Queen Street Residence Place Birmingham West Midlands England and a Gladys M Hadley is living at the same address that year.

Another sibling of George is: May Matilda Hadley 1916 who married a Bernard Douglas Anthony who I think was born 1914. I have limited information on both May and Bernard, though May is on the 1939 census with George and family. May and Bernard had a daughter. I would like to find a death record for May and for Bernard, as well as Bernards birth record. I dont know if they had more than one child.

And finally George had a brother John W Hadley 1917. Because there are generations of John William Hadleys, Im assuming at this point, this John is also a John William. However, details for this John are proving more difficult to find so anything on him would be a huge help. They were all from Aston, birmingham. At one time resided at 128 Bendall Road.

Any info or any records, including any newspaper articles would be a huge help as I know little about the hadleys which is my grandads side, as the family knew little and never really spoke about relatives. A huge bonus would be if anyone in this forum has any photos or remembers or has relatives who knew them who could help to fill in the gaps. Thanks everyone for your help. It means a lot.

Vixen
Here are a couple of newspaper cuttings that give some information about Edna Hadley and William Thomason. It seems that Edna did indeed die in 1949 in mysterious and sad circumstances.

Edna Hadley and William Thomason.jpg

Vixen
Here are a couple of newspaper cuttings that give some information about Edna Hadley and William Thomason. It seems that Edna did indeed die in 1949 in mysterious and sad circumstances.

View attachment 147847
Thank you for this, this is more information on my family than Ive known. The only confusing thing is where they quote her mother as Mavis as her mother was May E Johns. i take it this may just be another typo which history seems filled with. Im so grateful for these cuttings as I cant afford to keep signing up to all kinds of sites to find snippets of info so I really am grateful and will read through this again shortly and get back to you but thank you

There are 3 Anthony/Hadley children registered in Gloucestershire, where they appear to have moved to, after 1939 - Beryl P 1940, Margaret D 1943 & Joan E M 1949.

No deaths listed for Bernard or May, so maybe emigrated.

Newspaper clipping mentions the birth of a second child for William Thomason & Edna Hadley and there are two Thomason/Hadley children registered - Brian W 1941 & Janice 1948.

Percy Hadley is listed as Percy on both FreeBMD & familysearch for the marriage to Gladys Cleghorn.

If if is your Percy then she was much older than him. There is a death registered in Bham 1988 for a Gladys Mary Hadley. Her dob is given as 6 Sep 1909. Searching that dob in 1939 results in a Gladys M Clegorne in Wandsworth and there is a matching birth registration for her in 1909. No children registered for them.

There are a number of birth regstrations for John William Hadley around 1918 so difficult to be sure of much.

Do you know if he survived to grow up because there is a death registration for a John William Hadley Sep qtr 1918 in Kings Norton and your John William Hadley seems the most likely but can't be certain.

reading how edna died it sounds as though she could have suffering from post natal despression..something that there was little or no help for back then...very sad

lyn

There are 3 Anthony/Hadley children registered in Gloucestershire, where they appear to have moved to, after 1939 - Beryl P 1940, Margaret D 1943 & Joan E M 1949.

Newspaper clipping mentions the birth of a second child for William Thomason & Edna Hadley and there are two Thomason/Hadley children registered - Brian W 1941 & Janice 1948.
Oh thats amazing to find out, thank you. Will add the children to my tree to my tree and try and find more out. I do have Beryl PM Anthony who married twice, though no death entry for her. But I didnt know about the other two children so thank you. And its also great knowing william and edna had two children, though it sounds from the newspaper clippings that there was a few troubles for edna. Much appreciated.

reading how edna died it sounds as though she could have suffering from post natal despression..something that there was little or no help for back then...very sad

lyn
Yes especially as it mentioned anxiety after the birth of one of her children. although we dont know how happy the relationship was, but yes possibly post natal. Very sad. Its so weird finding out information that the family either never knew or spoke of, or just didnt want to ever discuss. There seems to be a lot of secrecy around the Hadley, swinden and cummings clan. My nan Vera swinden who married George Hadley, her mum is down as Gertrude Cummings born 1st jan 1888 on the 1939 census and at first i believed Gertrudes mum to be Hannah Page. However the date of birth didnt match up with birth registrations and then it appears gertrude may actually have been born Brayne whose mum married a John cummings so I believe gertrude took on the cummings name. On the 1939 census her brother John is listed and I did find a gertrude brayne/cummings who had a brother john s few years older than her on the 1901 and 1911 whose mum was a brayne. Its all been a bit of a jigsaw actually and doing the jones side of the family has proved so much easier than this side of the family. However im still eager to try and find out as much as I can about them.

Last edited:
There are a number of birth regstrations for John William Hadley around 1918 so difficult to be sure of much.

Do you know if he survived to grow up because there is a death registration for a John William Hadley Sep qtr 1918 in Kings Norton and your John William Hadley seems the most likely but can't be certain.
I literally have no information on this John william hadley. I dont know if he did survive. The only thing I can possibly do is research the addresses for the rest of the family to see if he is there. I have found with a few family members they as they got older moved in with the kids or the kids moved in with them. It is very frustrating sometimes not knowing and his dad was a john william hadley, and his dads dad was a john william hadley lol

Percy Hadley is listed as Percy on both FreeBMD & familysearch for the marriage to Gladys Cleghorn.

If if is your Percy then she was much older than him. There is a death registered in Bham 1988 for a Gladys Mary Hadley. Her dob is given as 6 Sep 1909. Searching that dob in 1939 results in a Gladys M Clegorne in Wandsworth and there is a matching birth registration for her in 1909. No children registered for them.
Thats good to hear thank you. I found an electoral roll address that percy and a Gladys M hadley were living at. Think I posted this above. However, I struggled to work out who Gladys was and considering most of the family are midlands and the only birth registration I found was for london, I did question how percy would have met her. However, due to the potential transcription error on the marriage registration I did wonder if this was percy and gladys. Im so thankful for this help and the newspaper clippings are amazing to see too.

I found this birth registration for Beryl PM Anthony whose mothers maiden name was hadley registered 1938 rather than 1940. Beryl P M Anthony Registration Date 01/1938 Registration QuarterJan-Feb-Mar Registration district Birmingham Inferred County West Midlands Mother's Maiden Name Hadley Volume Number 6dPage number34

There is a Margaret D Anthony born 1943 with mmn hadley in wiltshire but I cant find any connection to wiltshire at this time so dont know if this is a different child to someone else?

Vixen

View attachment 147847
Also found this. I can only get 3 searches with the newspaper archives before they then want a years subscription upfront which I cant afford. if I could I would look up the whole lot of hadleys, swindens and cummings lol

Attachments

• Called and Saved Them _ Birmingham Daily Gazette _ Wednesday 26 January 1949 _ British Newspap...png
    Called and Saved Them _ Birmingham Daily Gazette _ Wednesday 26 January 1949 _ British Newspap...png
    734.5 KB · Views: 6
you do not have to pay for a whole year vixen...here are the more affordable options which are what i use...i never buy a years subscriptions for anything including ancestry

3 Months
Unlimited Pages
£8.64 / a month Save 31%
Unlimited access
Save searches
Bookmark articles
Billed every 3 months
Select
Monthly
Unlimited pages
£12.95 / per month
Unlimited access
Save searches
Bookmark articles
Billed monthly

There is a Margaret D Anthony born 1943 with mmn hadley in wiltshire but I cant find any connection to wiltshire at this time so dont know if this is a different child to someone else?

Chippenham is very close to the Gloucestershire border and includes parishes at that border so not impossible that they travelled over the border.

you do not have to pay for a whole year vixen...here are the more affordable options which are what i use...i never buy a years subscriptions for anything including ancestry

3 Months
Unlimited Pages
£8.64 / a month Save 31%
Unlimited access
Save searches
Bookmark articles
Billed every 3 months
Select
Monthly
Unlimited pages
£12.95 / per month
Unlimited access
Save searches
Bookmark articles
Billed monthly
thanks xx

Vixen

Here are cuttings of a couple of court cases involving Bernard Douglas Anthony. He was on the electoral register with May M at 22 Barton Rd, Tewkesbury in 1949 and in 1959 he was at 41 Oldbury Rd, Tewkesbury with May M and Beryl P.
There was also a Bernard Douglas Anthony listed in Kelly's Directory of Birmingham as a wardrobe dealer at 205 Station Rd 9 - could be him.Bernard Douglas Anthony.jpg

Back