• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hadley family

valbern1

proper brummie kid
Hi, Looking for information on the Hadley family,who according to the 1911 census lived at at 5 lime tree terrace,james street aston.Robert the father was a locksmith,his wife Alice,nee Ashton,nee Green.Eldest child Edith,born 1904, son Robert,born1906.The elder Robert,went on to marry a lady in 1917.Dearly love to find out how life treated the 2 children.

hi the hadleys was a friend or relatives the mr and mrs jarratt of 2 cromwel square lichfield rd aston ;
they visited each other regular at week ends ; astonian;

G day Astonian,thanks for your reply,I am amazed that you can draw up information almost 100yrs old.??.I suppose Cromwell square has now been cleared and built on,and I am sure the Jarrets are long gone.Once again thanks for your help,and I will keep plodding on Valbern1.

And welcome to the Forum, valbern1.

Any more information on your query which might interest members? Was this family related to you, perhaps?

I hope you can make further progress on this.

Chris

Hi valbern1, just had a look and according to the records he married the same woman twice, in 1916 then again in 1917 --

Robert Hadley/Lettie E Cadwallader
Cadwallader
Oct-Nov-Dec 1916
Aston
6d

Robert Hadley/Lettie E Cadwallader
Cadwallader
Apr-May-Jun 1917
Aston
6d

​bren

This might be Edith--

Edith Hadley
Date of Registration:Oct-Nov-Dec 1903
Registration district:Wolverhampton
Volume:6b
Page:561

Hi Chris,thanks for your interest,this Hadley persuit began when my wife asked me to research her side of the family,(that was a mistake!!!)we were quite happy knowing of the family as we then knew it,but to discover the G/father had another family& two children.!!!He had two children by alice ,ne ashton formerly green,you guessed it she was already married----Well I never.!! The father of Edith and Robert, it appears deserted them,and married Lettie Cadwallader in 1917.Her first marriage to Cadwallader ended in early 1917 when he was killed on the Somme,leaving Lettie already pregnant by Robert Hadley.I have no knowledge of what happened to Edith,but her brother Robert ,served in the M.N. until 1923,after which nothing.!! It is quite possible that my wife has relatives somewhere she knows nothing about.!!! Once again Chris thanks for your interest,and I hope the story gives the members (as it did me)a enormous chuckle. regards Valber1.

Thanks for that Bren,you are exactly right ,1.about the birth of Edith,and also the double entry of the marriage,obviously a mistake somewhere.I have a feeling that Edith married a Thomas Skidmore,but don`t think she had children,Robert I think married a Elsie Smith in 1935,and I1m not sure about children,maybe he was caught up in the war ,who knows,(and did`nt have time?) Thanks again for your input,if you come up with other knowledge I will be grateful regards Valbern1.

Hi Valbern1, do you already have these births, Skidmore with mothers maiden name Hadley --

John T 2nd qtr 1933 Birmingham 6d 650

Dennis W 3rd qtr 1935 Birmingham 6d 356

Mavis E 2nd qtr 1938 Birmingham 6d 411

Follows this marriage, suspect you have this already --

Edith Hadley/Thomas J Skidmore 3rd qtr 1932 Birmingham S 6d 114

bren

Marriage -- John T Skidmore/Irene E Bateman 1st qtr 1953 Birmingham 9c 623

Birth -- Jennifer R Skidmore mmn Bateman 3rd qtr 1956 Birmingham 9c 574 Couldn't find anymore

I then found another marriage -- John T/ Patricia Riley 1st qtr 1956 Birmingham 9c 317

Birth -- Jeffrey Skidmore mmn Riley 3rd qtr 1964 Birmingham 9c 370 Again, only found the one

bren

Marriage -- Mavis E/Walter W Bakewell 2nd qtr 1956 Birmingham 9c 552

Birth -- Darren Roy Bakewell mmn Skidmore 1st qtr 1967 Birmingham 9c 752

bren

Marriage -- Dennis W/Barbara Smith 2nd qtr 1957 Birmingham 9c 478

Birth -- Anthony C Skidmore mmn Smith 3rd qtr 1960 Birmingham 9c 460

bren

Hi Bren, thanks once again for all the" info"you have sent me,checked it against my findings and all is exactly correct,I will leave it to my "Good Half" to decide if she contacts any "relations."I see by the number of posts you keep busy,if I may I will keep your 'Avatar ,in case I need help in the future. regards from Aus valbern1.

Hi Bren<thanks again for your help,I am a member gs7 _055748229 BUT.!!!! I find the method of contact very confusing (My age you know!!!),can I be guided by you??.I would love to contact Anthony. regards valbern

Thanks Bren,have done that, Anote to anthony Skidmore, will now await results That was easy following your instructions,----its the B`ham webpage is the problem,not to worry soon get into it,---as I said on getting called up !!!!!!!!!!

Below is a link to a site you will find interesting, i searched on there with some good results, just put the name in and the location as Birmingham. Some of the info is free and some you have to pay, i have no credits on there at the moment but you might decide to purchase some, see what you think.

https://www.192.com

​bren

Back