• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Haddon and Stokes Digbeth

skylark

Proud to be a Brummie !!
THOMAS HADDON and STOKES..DIGBETH ..factories

I worked there from 1956 until 1961 firstly as an office junior and then as telephonist.

hi
my nan worked at haddon & stokes around that time her name was madge kain, she met my step grandfather there his name was joseph somerville, they live in camp hill and when i used to go to stay with them i would walk down to meet joe at lunchtime and sit on the little wall and share his sandwiches!
lynn

I know of no ghost, but perhaps the Haddons were no longer part of the company when you knew people who worked there?

i worked at haddon and stokes from 1972 till 1977 it was the best company i ever worked for.they looked after there workers,they had there own welfare department who would help with outside problems, they had there own surgery with skilled nurses, on site dentist. huge canteen, you could also get cooked meals from vending machines if you were on shift work and a great social club. at the end they were part of the gkn group. as for the ghost story atv today{now central news}did a report on it while i worked there but no ghost was found. there was a chap who used to take the old wipers down to the stores in the basement and as he was going back to the lift a man who he said was dressed oddly went into the lift he called to the man and said hold on i will come up with you but when he got to the lift there was no one in it. he would not go down there again on his own. some say it was the ghost of a man called john roberts who was burnt at the stake on that site years before when it was a church, for converting the bible into english. there used to be a plaque with this information on the wall outside i think they put it back onto the renault building

My father worked at Haddon & Stokes for about 30 years until his death in 1976. He used to look after the window boxes full of geraniums which were his pride and joy. His name was Bill Disney I'd be pleased to hear from anyone that remembers him.

This is a photograph taken of Thomas Haddon & Stokes. The factory & offices were located in Digbeth. I thought I would share this photograph that my father kept from his time working there.

Did anyone else work there? And if so, did you know any of the Somervilles who worked there?

Attachments

• ThomasHaddon&StokesLtd.jpg
    ThomasHaddon&StokesLtd.jpg
    325.5 KB · Views: 149
My first job from leaving school was working there I worked in the Offices on the top floor, but often went through the factory. Oh the sights when the lads passed their apprenticeships, bet they dare not torment them now like they used to then. The factory was so noisy. Lovely canteen, and the meals in the vending machines were OK too. For a short time I went into a small office in the press shop, reading the quantities on the machine and noting breakdowns etc. The women there worked so hard, a special breed (It doesn't sound as worthy a description as they deserve - sorry). They remined me so much of my mother who I had seen working on machines at a brush factory. They were a great crowd!!!

I started work there in 1959. It was an amazing place, we had live groups there.
The Modernaires played there a few times.
I lived in Trinity Terrace. Off Camp Hill.

I started work there in 1959. It was an amazing place, we had live groups there.
The Modernaires
THOMAS HADDON and STOKES..DIGBETH ..factories

I worked there from 1956 until 1961 firstly as an office junior and then as telephonist.
Mary keeling
I worked as a junior after leaving school in 1964 in till 1968 went into the typing pool and we used the first electronic typewriters in Brum called series sterling and decimal invoice estermaters they had golf balls instead of keys great times . I moved into the factory office my manager was Roger Scott. I met clive strong there who worked in development does any one know him today please

This is a photograph taken of Thomas Haddon & Stokes. The factory & offices were located in Digbeth. I thought I would share this photograph that my father kept from his time working there.

Did anyone else work there? And if so, did you know any of the Somervilles who worked there?
yes I worked there from 1962_ 78,bob allcock,ex apprentice,new all the somervilles,sadley recently met up with george and paul at alex,s funeral. until the lock down we,ex workers, have regular meet ups at the briar rose in bennetts hill.

yes I worked there from 1962_ 78,bob allcock,ex apprentice,new all the somervilles,sadley recently met up with george and paul at alex,s funeral. until the lock down we,ex workers, have regular meet ups at the briar rose in bennetts hill.
Hi Bob,
I was an craft apprentice from 1966 to 1969, I did off the job training at Garretts Green and worked at W H Small, went to the Heath Street Training school for a while and was in maintenance at H&S. I still have my log book from the Training School signed by Tom Hobourn and complete with my first payslip net pay £3.18. 8. I remember your name as an ex apprentice but cannot put a face to the name, mind you it has been 54 years ago. I left in 1969 following a disagreement with David Lloyd on my future training. I was sad to go but it worked out ok in the end. regards Bob

Hi Bob,
I was an craft apprentice from 1966 to 1969, I did off the job training at Garretts Green and worked at W H Small, went to the Heath Street Training school for a while and was in maintenance at H&S. I still have my log book from the Training School signed by Tom Hobourn and complete with my first payslip net pay £3.18. 8. I remember your name as an ex apprentice but cannot put a face to the name, mind you it has been 54 years ago. I left in 1969 following a disagreement with David Lloyd on my future training. I was sad to go but it worked out ok in the end. regards Bob
HI BOB, THANKS FOR YOUR REPLY,[ SPENT A COUPLE OF MONTHS AT SMALLS LEARNING ABOUT PRESS TOOLS.A FEW NAMES YOU MIGHT REMEMBER ,JOHN MONROE, KEITH NEWBURY, BILLY BRITTON. I DO REMEMBER TOM AND LlOYD ALTHOUGH JIM COCKROFT AND DAVID PLANT RAN APPRENTICE TRAINING IN MY TIME AND MY GOOD FRIEND BOB KAINE AFTER THEM. BEST DAYS OF MY LIFE . TAke care bob.

Hi Bob,

I remember John Munroe, I think he was works manager at Smalls and ended up running the tool room at H&S, certainly way above my pay grade. I worked for a lovely guy when I was there called Charlie Gough who was like a kindly granddad figure, he was a charge hand ( there is a title from the past), his brother Frank was the foreman . I worked on the pressed nut tapping machines apparently designed by Mr Small himself.

I also had another unexpected educational experience when I was there.There was a mature Welsh female press operator (name withheld to protect the innocent) who was very fond of men in general and young ones in particular. Let us say as an innocent 16 year old from an all boys school, I learned things and was made propositions that I did not know happened in the real world. I think I was damaged for life and today would need counselling, but then it was a great story for your mates, I think I am over it now.

I remember Jim or Mr Cockcroft as we knew him and he had an assistant in my time called Ken Buckley who was a nice guy and took us camping etc. When at H&S on mantenanance I worked for another lovely old guy called Joe Reid, ( who had been injured in WW2 daylight raids on BSA ) he taught me lots about engineering and life and treated me like a son. As you said good days

Regards

Bob

hi.mary, I too would like to find out about clive,who was agreat mate as apprentices, along with ron akril,graham smith,and pete grainger. If you do hear of any of them or anyone else who worked there up until it closed down please let us know. regards bob allcock.

I started at Haddon and Stokes in 1960 as a junior typist, was often sent into the factory where I used to get lots of wolf whistles, it was such a fun place to work. I was also one of the girls to put on a pantomime and we went to a prison to perform, much to my Dads disgust. Also remember the dances where a group,called the Modernaires played. Good old rock n roll.

Diane from Trinity Terrace

hi.mary, I too would like to find out about clive,who was agreat mate as apprentices, along with ron akril,graham smith,and pete grainger. If you do hear of any of them or anyone else who worked there up until it closed down please let us know. regards bob allcock.
Hi Bob,
I am one of Graham Smith’s daughters. My mum Sheila found this forum. She also has fond memories of working there. I will tell my Dad about this site. I am sure he will be thrilled to hear about it. I will tell him to register. Kind regards Claire

Hi Bob,
I am one of Graham Smith’s daughters. My mum Sheila found this forum. She also has fond memories of working there. I will tell my Dad about this site. I am sure he will be thrilled to hear about it. I will tell him to register. Kind regards Claire
hi claire, so good to hear from you, I new graham very well and remember sheila too. graham,ron,robin and pete grainger were top guys to us first year apprentices along with 4 or 5 others of their year. as soon as I send this this I will call bob kaine and let him know we have made contact with one of the top apps. IF GRAHAM can let us know of any one else who was in apprentice scheme let us know, before lockdown we had regular meet ups. kind regards bob.

Hi Bob,
hello again claire, just incase you happen to see this reply its to let you know that we ex.apprentices are meeting up on the 27 of april at the malt shovel stonebridge island 12 noon,we have booked 2 tables.a very good and old friend of grahams, george somerville will be there. all the very best bob.

hello again claire, just incase you happen to see this reply its to let you know that we ex.apprentices are meeting up on the 27 of april at the malt shovel stonebridge island 12 noon,we have booked 2 tables.a very good and old friend of grahams, george somerville will be there. all the very best bob.
Hi Bob,
I have spoken to my Dad & he has asked me to let you know that he will definitely be joining you all on the 27th April. My Uncle Mel is going to come along too with my Dad. He was also an apprentice at the same company.
kind regards Claire

Hi Bob,
I have spoken to my Dad & he has asked me to let you know that he will definitely be joining you all on the 27th April. My Uncle Mel is going to come along too with my Dad. He was also an apprentice at the same company.
kind regards Claire
yearsyHi Bob,
kind regards Claire
hi claire, thank you for your reply,have informed bob kaine and we look forward to meeting up with graham again after 50 years or more. kind regards bob.

Hi Bob, Claire pasted on the message to Graham and he will be attending. I am his brother in law and also was a GKN electrical apprentice (start 1966) based at Frederick Mountfords, my induction and couple of my placements were at Haddon & Stokes amongst others. I do hope you don't have any objections to me attending as well.

Hi Bob, Claire pasted on the message to Graham and he will be attending. I am his brother in law and also was a GKN electrical apprentice (start 1966) based at Frederick Mountfords, my induction and couple of my placements were at Haddon & Stokes amongst others. I do hope you don't have any objections to me attending as well.
hi mel, of course your welcome,but just been informed in the last 10 minutes the malt shovel at stonebridge has closed.new venue is the malt shovel in barston lane, solihull. b92 0jp.can you both make it, let me know asap. regards bob.

hi clair, so sorry for this,have already sent message to mel. new venue the malt shovel in barton lane b92 0jp . the one at stonebridge island as closed. regards bob.

hi mel, of course your welcome,but just been informed in the last 10 minutes the malt shovel at stonebridge has closed.new venue is the malt shovel in barston lane, solihull. b92 0jp.can you both make it, let me know asap. regards bob.
Bob. Yes we will both be there, thanks for letting me know.

Hi Bob,
kind regards Claire
hi clair, your dad and mel made the meet up and had a great time. reconised him immediately and we had a good chat about the times we had together. I am sure he will be looking forward to the next one, thanks again for making the connection. kind regards bob.

hi clair, your dad and mel made the meet up and had a great time. reconised him immediately and we had a good chat about the times we had together. I am sure he will be looking forward to the next one, thanks again for making the connection. kind regards bob.
Come across these with Graham on.

Attachments

• IMG-20210501-WA0003.jpg
    IMG-20210501-WA0003.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20210501-WA0004.jpg
    IMG-20210501-WA0004.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG-20210501-WA0005.jpg
    IMG-20210501-WA0005.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 49
Back