• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Haddon and Stokes Digbeth

Hi bob . My name is TonyAger I do not know if you remember me my mates were Barry Clarke .Alan Webb. Used to play football for company is Bob Wright still around.jimmy Somerville was the tool room foreman. John monroe was supervised. Bob cain was in training school on top floor. Hope a reply is forthcoming. Thanks.

Hi bob . My name is TonyAger I do not know if you remember me my mates were Barry Clarke .Alan Webb. Used to play football for company is Bob Wright still around.jimmy Somerville was the tool room foreman. John monroe was supervised. Bob cain was in training school on top floor. Hope a reply is forthcoming. Thanks.
hi tony, yes I remember you, couple of weeks ago haddons ex apprentices had one of our meet ups at apub in solihull. some names you might remember,paul and george somerville,bob kaine, bob wright,jim burton ,john masters, jim tumelty, dave clarke,john pardoe,and others. If you would like to be informed of our next meeting please let me know. Iwill phone graham howkins and let him know that another ex. app. has made contact, we have about 20 now,hope to see you at the next meeting. kind regards bob.

Hi Bob that’s a quick reply.thanks.good to know how many there is. Yes I would like to know your next meeting .kind regards Tony.

hi.mary, I too would like to find out about clive,who was agreat mate as apprentices, along with ron akril,graham smith,and pete grainger. If you do hear of any of them or anyone else who worked there up until it closed down please let us know. regards bob allcock.
Hi Bob I remember some of those names .it was good times way back then .I know Clive worked in development I think with a lad called Pete. Thanks for replying take care regards mary

Hi Bob,
I have spoken to my Dad & he has asked me to let you know that he will definitely be joining you all on the 27th April. My Uncle Mel is going to come along too with my Dad. He was also an apprentice at the same company.
kind regards Claire
hi claire, next meet up friday 27 aug, 11-30 at the same place ,malt shovel, barton, b92 0jp.regards bob.

Hi Bob I remember some of those names .it was good times way back then .I know Clive worked in development I think with a lad called Pete. Thanks for replying take care regards mary
Hi Mary,That would be Clive Strong and Pete Lewis2, I worked in the development office with them

Hi Bob,
I was an craft apprentice from 1966 to 1969, I did off the job training at Garretts Green and worked at W H Small, went to the Heath Street Training school for a while and was in maintenance at H&S. I still have my log book from the Training School signed by Tom Hobourn and complete with my first payslip net pay £3.18. 8. I remember your name as an ex apprentice but cannot put a face to the name, mind you it has been 54 years ago. I left in 1969 following a disagreement with David Lloyd on my future training. I was sad to go but it worked out ok in the end. regards Bob
Bob Alcock, this can't be Bob wemyss;
1 he is signed in as bobj not Bob w.
2 he started in 1966 where as Bob wemyss started in 1964 with me.
3 he says that it was Cockcroft and Buckley running training, but it was Cockcroft and plant in 1964.
So bobj please reveal your surname

Hi Bob,

I remember John Munroe, I think he was works manager at Smalls and ended up running the tool room at H&S, certainly way above my pay grade. I worked for a lovely guy when I was there called Charlie Gough who was like a kindly granddad figure, he was a charge hand ( there is a title from the past), his brother Frank was the foreman . I worked on the pressed nut tapping machines apparently designed by Mr Small himself.

I also had another unexpected educational experience when I was there.There was a mature Welsh female press operator (name withheld to protect the innocent) who was very fond of men in general and young ones in particular. Let us say as an innocent 16 year old from an all boys school, I learned things and was made propositions that I did not know happened in the real world. I think I was damaged for life and today would need counselling, but then it was a great story for your mates, I think I am over it now.

I remember Jim or Mr Cockcroft as we knew him and he had an assistant in my time called Ken Buckley who was a nice guy and took us camping etc. When at H&S on mantenanance I worked for another lovely old guy called Joe Reid, ( who had been injured in WW2 daylight raids on BSA ) he taught me lots about engineering and life and treated me like a son. As you said good days

Regards

Bob
Her name was Phyllis, she got me too

Her name was Phyllis, she got me too
Hi Graham, I have only just seen your post, I must admit the naming of the famous press operator made me laugh out loud, what an education we had (engineering and life). I did not attend the free off site advanced course which she regularly offered. I remember your name but cannot put a face to it, did you say what year you started?. I am sure we must have met, my name is Bob James. I would love to attend one of the pub meetings, I will see if there are spaces available.
regards
Bob

My dad worked at Haddon and Stokes for many years. His name was Jack O’Connell, he was a tool setter and a union convener

Hi Bob,
I have spoken to my Dad & he has asked me to let you know that he will definitely be joining you all on the 27th April. My Uncle Mel is going to come along too with my Dad. He was also an apprentice at the same company.
kind regards Claire
Hi Bob,
kind regards Claire

Hi Bob, Claire pasted on the message to Graham and he will be attending. I am his brother in law and also was a GKN electrical apprentice (start 1966) based at Frederick Mountfords, my induction and couple of my placements were at Haddon & Stokes amongst others. I do hope you don't have any objections to me attending as well.
Hi Bob, Claire pasted on the message to Graham and he will be attending. I am his brother in law and also was a GKN electrical apprentice (start 1966) based at Frederick Mountfords, my induction and couple of my placements were at Haddon & Stokes amongst others. I do hope you don't have any objections to me attending as well.
Bob. Yes we will both be there, thanks for letting me know.
Come across these with Graham on.

Fairly sure that my grandfather alec wilkowski worked there in the 1960s. Sadly he passed away in 1989

My dad worked at Haddon and Stokes for many years. His name was Jack O’Connell, he was a tool setter and a union convener
hi maryoc, yes i remember jack and his union meetings,he was very enthusiastic where union matters were concerned,happy days regards bob a.

Hi Bob,
I am one of Graham Smith’s daughters. My mum Sheila found this forum. She also has fond memories of working there. I will tell my Dad about this site. I am sure he will be thrilled to hear about it. I will tell him to register. Kind regards Claire
hi claire, cannot contact graham, hope all is welland just to let you know we are meeting up again this feb.please let me know if he can make it. regards bob.

hi claire, cannot contact graham, hope all is welland just to let you know we are meeting up again this feb.please let me know if he can make it. regards bob.
Hi All, I didn't work at Haddon & Stokes but I do remember the company. Just wanted to say you sound a great bunch. Have enjoyed reading this thread, it is good to hear that you still meet up. (It reminds me of a company I worked for in the sixties, Benton & Stone Ltd. They too cared for their workers) Happy meet up this month. Regards, Sue

Hi All, I didn't work at Haddon & Stokes but I do remember the company. Just wanted to say you sound a great bunch. Have enjoyed reading this thread, it is good to hear that you still meet up. (It reminds me of a company I worked for in the sixties, Benton & Stone Ltd. They too cared for their workers) Happy meet up this month. Regards, Sue
thanks sue, our meetings are all about the sixties they were great times,happy days,regards bob,

Bob,
It's Martin McGuinness here. Hopefully you remember me. I worked at H&S for some 6 years remember you, Bob Wright, Barry Clarke, Malcolm Rotherham. We played snooker a few times at some posh place in Moseley think it's a boozer now. When you have your next get together let me know please. Would be great to see you and any of the other lads.

Back