• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hacketts of Blackheath.

bombed out brummie

master brummie
I have started tracing my wife's family history, so now looking for any information on Joseph Hackett born 1802, Dudley, landlord of The George & Dragon in Blackheath/Rowley Regis, from 1834-1873. He was also a coal master, owning coalmines in same area. His daughter Louisa married John Whitehouse, in 1878, and John was landlord of The White Lion Portway in 1881. Any information would be appreciated please. Thank you

In February 1874 there is a sale of Public House fittings from the George and Dragon, so I presume he died around that year.

In 1878 there is W Hackett at the G and D......[added it was a William Hackett]

Joseph Hackett was the son of Joseph Hackett and Martha Willetts.

On the 1841 census Joseph is in Rowley Regis with his wife, Mary (nee Danks) and a Mary (Ann) Millington who appears to become his second wife. He married both in Clent, 1826 & 1842.

Joseph (the father) married Martha Willetts also in Clent in 1791,

Martha (Willetts) marries at least twice after Joseph's death, to a ? Hadley and a John Buffrey (1840). She is with son in 1851. She dies in 1852.

If you go to https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html and download the new rowley regis section of Hitchmoughs 'Black Country Pubs (its free), or just search the pdf online, then a number of references to a Joseph Hackett come up, some definitely yours. He appears to have also been the landord of the Bell Inn in Rowley Regis( prob 1857-61), and the (1834-74) Knights quest , assuming it is the same man. He is described as a coalmaster

In January 1849 a pit rope stolen from a Joseph Hackett. The collier was sentenced to 6 moths imprisonment

The Dudley Guardian in February of 1875 reports a concert to raise funds for the victims of a serious accident at the Titford Long Meadow Colliery. The proprietor being Joseph Hackett.

There are quite a number of articles in the Worcestershire Chronicle and Worcester Journal. Most appear to be about people stealing his property but there is one (I assume it's him) from 30th Dec 1857 reporting he was fined for opening on a Sunday morning.

The Titford mine explosion and a narrow escape for Joseph Hackett...

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS

On the 1841 census Joseph is in Rowley Regis with his wife, Mary (nee Danks) and a Mary (Ann) Millington who appears to become his second wife. He married both in Clent, 1826 & 1842.

Martha (Willetts) marries at least twice after Joseph's death, to a ? Hadley and a John Buffrey (1840). She is with son in 1851. She dies in 1852

Martha (Willetts) marries at least twice after Joseph's death, to a ? Hadley and a John Buffrey (1840). She is with son in 1851. She dies in 1852.
Once again MWS you have solved a question for me. I started many years ago to trace my wife's family but got so involved with my own that I left it alone until now. Some years ago I visited the Hackett family memorial in Rowley Regis church yard and it had his mothers name as Martha Buffrey, so that solves that. I also thought Joseph had been married before because he was 40 when he married Mary Ann Millington, you have also solved that. I sent for the will of Joseph Hackett who died in 1874, and one of the witnesses was a Benjamin Hadley an accountant, that may have a connection with the ? Hadley Martha (Willetts) married. So Thank you again for all your help.

Thanks for your info

Thank you for your info Pedrocut. I had read the story about that mine but I am not sure its the same Joseph Hackett although it seems too much of a coincidence to have two Joseph Hackett's owning coalmines. The reason I am not sure is that my Joseph Hackett died in early Jan1874. There again I suppose he could still have owned the mine. I must read the story again in more detail. Thanks again for taking the time to reply it's certainly worth another look.

Yes, the accident occurred in July 1874, some months after Joseph died after in January 1874. And the Inquest states that Joseph Hackett was present at the Pit. Did he have a son ?

Hadley is a very popular name around that area so it could be just a coincidence but not necessarily so.

In January 1849 a pit rope stolen from a Joseph Hackett. The collier was sentenced to 6 moths imprisonment
In February 1874 there is a sale of Public House fittings from the George and Dragon, so I presume he died around that year.

In 1878 there is W Hackett at the G and D......[added it was a William Hackett]
Thank you for your replies Pedrocut. Joseph Hackett died in 1874 so I assume as you do that it was after he died. Joseph Hackett had a son William so there is a chance that it could be him that took over the George and Dragon. I will look into that further. I have a photo of the pub in the 1800s when Joseph ran it. Thanks again.
If you go to https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html and download the new rowley regis section of Hitchmoughs 'Black Country Pubs (its free), or just search the pdf online, then a number of references to a Joseph Hackett come up, some definitely yours. He appears to have also been the landord of the Bell Inn in Rowley Regis( prob 1857-61), and the (1834-74) Knights quest , assuming it is the same man. He is described as a coalma

Probate for Joseph Hackett.

View attachment 156577
Thank's Pedrocut , I already have his will I sent for it some years ago but thank you for your time.
Yes, the accident occurred in July 1874, some months after Joseph died after in January 1874. And the Inquest states that Joseph Hackett was present at the Pit. Did he have a son ?
Yes Joseph had a son Joseph, he would have been 27 then so it could have been him. Joseph junior died in 1888. Thanks
I have Hackett, Willetts and Danks in my family tree but I cant find a connection (yet). This site is excellent for the black country and certainly have helped me in the past. www.genealogyforum.co.uk
Thank you for your reply, I will contact you again perhaps tomorrow when I have had time to sort all the information that's just come in, but there seems a connection there because Joseph Hackett married Martha Willetts in 1791.
Thanks

If you go to https://www.longpull.co.uk/downloads.html and download the new rowley regis section of Hitchmoughs 'Black Country Pubs (its free), or just search the pdf online, then a number of references to a Joseph Hackett come up, some definitely yours. He appears to have also been the landord of the Bell Inn in Rowley Regis( prob 1857-61), and the (1834-74) Knights quest , assuming it is the same man. He is described as a coalmaster
Thank you for your reply. I assume the Knights Quest is the name now of the old George and Dragon. I did visit the Knights Quest some years ago, and was surprised it was nothing like the old George and Dragon. I have a photo of the original George and Dragon taken in the 1800's when Joseph was the landlord. I will look at the site you mention, so thank you for your help.

I see that Joseph Hackett is mentioned in Trade Directories of 1861 as being at the George and Dragon as publican and coal master.

In 1851 there was litigation involving a coal master, one Joseph Hackett, who was the owner of several coal pits in Staffs and Worcs. These included Causeway Green, but was this our Joseph ?

In January 1860 the Birmingham Daily Post records a summons against a Joseph Hackett, coal master, of Blackheath for refusal to pay wages. No mention of the Colliery involved.

A few further notes on the mining interests.

As we have seen the Northern Mine Research Society says that Long Meadow was owned by a Joseph Hackett in 1874. But Black County Muse states that it was started in the 1850s by a Joshua Bennett and sold to a Joshua Hackett in 1853. (this may have been a Joseph Hackett?)

Black Country Muse also informs that Causeway Green belonged to Joshua Hackett. He adds that in 1874 the owner was Samuel Bennett, having purchased from Joshua’s son William Hackett. In 1874 S. Bennett was to give up Causeway Colliery, Blackheath.

Last edited:
In January 1860 the Birmingham Daily Post records a summons against a Joseph Hackett, coal master, of Blackheath for refusal to pay wages. No mention of the Colliery involved.
Every little bit of information is very helpful as I now live in Devon and can't get to Smethwick record office anymore. I don't have, at present, Ancestry, I only use Familysearch, so any advice or info from everyone on this forum is greatly received. There is a Hackett Street in Blackheath I was told by the record office some years ago, was named after Joseph Hackett. Thanks again.

I have Hackett, Willetts and Danks in my family tree but I cant find a connection (yet). This site is excellent for the black country and certainly have helped me in the past. www.genealogyforum.co.uk
Not sure if there is a connection, but this is my wife's connection to the Hackett's. Joseph Hackett m Martha Willetts in 1791 in Clent. They had a son Joseph in 1802, he married Mary Danks in 1826, then he married Mary Ann Millington in 1842 (I assume Mary nee Danks had died not looked yet) Joseph and Mary Ann nee Millington had a daughter Louisa in 1857, she married John Whitehouse and they had a son Harvey Whitehouse, he was my wife's grandfather. I have to admit that a lot of this info came from help on this forum. If there is a connection and you want any more info I will help all I can. Thanks for your reply.

Back