• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

H SAMUELS HUNTERS ROAD BRIDGE AND CLOCK GONE

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
yet another iconic landmark has gone...i was down that way just over 2 weeks ago and it was still up then so imagine my shock when turning from nursery road on the no 8 into hunters road to find the bridged walkway had been taken down:confused: as i have known this bridge all of my life...i popped into the reception to try and find out why and what had become of the clock...apparently the building on the left has been sold so the bridge is no longer needed...i was told the clock could not be saved but i have my doubts about that...it was just another piece of insignificant history...it was erected in 1956....i have taken a couple of photos today including 2 of the bricked up wall on both sides of the road...the great phyllis nickin took in 1968 and i think i must have been standing in more or less the same spot as she was. also one of when the bridge was lowered into place....it just does not seem right it not being there...:(hunter road h sam.jpg:(:(Hockley Hunters Road. Herbert Samuels Jewellery Works. 2nd May 1968.jpgDSC00964.JPGDSC00966.JPGDSC00967.JPG

lyn

Last edited:
For many of us, who have been around a while, 1956 doesn't seem to be that long ago. However, it is over sixty years ago so that says it was history. The road must look very different now.

My mother worked in the offices for H Samuel for a while, pricing wedding rings.
Sorry about the old clock but, as you say, it does make the road look lighter and brighter now.

A cousin of my late wife, Roy Farmer, was foreman of the ring manufacturing department many years ago.

Maurice

I worked with one of the Directors on the 'Golden Mile' (so called because all the offices were in that corridor) and bought two pairs of gold earrings (at a discount...) There was the Diamond Room, but I think one had to have a special pass to go inside for any reason. Memory not so good these days, but I must have been there late 1950's or early 1960's.

That clock could have easily been saved Lyn,it was a simple piece of kit fitted into the panel.It had a box structure on the inside on hinges,we used to swing it back to replace the lamps (3 x 60w)when any of them needed changing,and of course adjusting the time (mainly when the clocks changed).
Probably more like nobody was interested or bothered to save it.
Anthea,i always believed the 'Golden mile' was named after the colour of the carpet which ran the whole length of the offices.

totally agree with you dave they just could not be bothered...same thing happened with the famous joseph lucas gt king st clock and that had been there far longer than the samuels one..i am afraid that saving our history just does not count for much these days:mad:

lyn

When you look back over say,the last 50 years,you wouldn't believe the industry that has disappeared.The thousands of jobs,surely McDonalds hasn't been able to absorb them all.

yet another iconic landmark has gone...i was down that way just over 2 weeks ago and it was still up then so imagine my shock when turning from nursery road on the no 8 into hunters road to find the bridged walkway had been taken down:confused: as i have known this bridge all of my life...i popped into the reception to try and find out why and what had become of the clock...apparently the building on the left has been sold so the bridge is no longer needed...i was told the clock could not be saved but i have my doubts about that...it was just another piece of insignificant history...it was erected in 1956....i have taken a couple of photos today including 2 of the bricked up wall on both sides of the road...the great phyllis nickin took in 1968 and i think i must have been standing in more or less the same spot as she was. also one of when the bridge was lowered into place....it just does not seem right it not being there...:(View attachment 135160:(:(View attachment 135156View attachment 135157View attachment 135158View attachment 135159

lyn

I remember that clock from years gone by I passed it back and forth for nearly twenty years when I lived near The Barton Arms . I first noticed it as a nipper late 50's early 60's , it wouldn't seem the same now seem the same now

For many of us, who have been around a while, 1956 doesn't seem to be that long ago. However, it is over sixty years ago so that says it was history. The road must look very different now.
yet another iconic landmark has gone...i was down that way just over 2 weeks ago and it was still up then so imagine my shock when turning from nursery road on the no 8 into hunters road to find the bridged walkway had been taken down:confused: as i have known this bridge all of my life...i popped into the reception to try and find out why and what had become of the clock...apparently the building on the left has been sold so the bridge is no longer needed...i was told the clock could not be saved but i have my doubts about that...it was just another piece of insignificant history...it was erected in 1956....i have taken a couple of photos today including 2 of the bricked up wall on both sides of the road...the great phyllis nickin took in 1968 and i think i must have been standing in more or less the same spot as she was. also one of when the bridge was lowered into place....it just does not seem right it not being there...:(View attachment 135160:(:(View attachment 135156View attachment 135157View attachment 135158View attachment 135159

lyn

lyn
I am sad to see the bridge is no longer..I worked at H Samuel from 84 til 94 and walked across that bridge many times

ah that's a shame. I crossed that bridge most days in the five years I was employed there as an audio typist/junior secretary, starting at aged 16, working for a kind man called Mr Robinson. What a different working world it was then and I feel so fortunate to have been a part of the H. Samuel community. I got married aged 21 from there and, as was tradition, I was dressed up by my friends [Anita, Peggy etc] with a huge decorated hat and coat with streamers and balloons etc on my last working day before being married. I still have the photo [in the loft] which was taken at the outside entrance, under the bridge. I'll find it and post it. I worked in a glass partitioned office, just a few feet from the 'Golden Mile' offices with it's gold thick carpet. I have such fond memories of all the people I worked with there, and looking back now, it was one of the happiest places I worked in 40 years. I was Marie Shaw in those days and worked there from 1973-1978. Lovely people, kind and caring colleagues, who all looked after each other.

ah that's a shame. I crossed that bridge most days in the five years I was employed there as an audio typist/junior secretary, starting at aged 16, working for a kind man called Mr Robinson. What a different working world it was then and I feel so fortunate to have been a part of the H. Samuel community. I got married aged 21 from there and, as was tradition, I was dressed up by my friends [Anita, Peggy etc] with a huge decorated hat and coat with streamers and balloons etc on my last working day before being married. I still have the photo [in the loft] which was taken at the outside entrance, under the bridge. I'll find it and post it. I worked in a glass partitioned office, just a few feet from the 'Golden Mile' offices with it's gold thick carpet. I have such fond memories of all the people I worked with there, and looking back now, it was one of the happiest places I worked in 40 years. I was Marie Shaw in those days and worked there from 1973-1978. Lovely people, kind and caring colleagues, who all looked after each other.
Strange your surname was the same as ours my mom worked there in the late 70s in an office where she used to have to use a comptometer her name was Dorothy (dot) Shaw

lovely post and memories and we would love to see any photos you have when time permits as they would be a great addition to this thread

lyn

Strange your surname was the same as ours my mom worked there in the late 70s in an office where she used to have to use a comptometer her name was Dorothy (dot) Shaw
Through the glass panel from where I worked [on a manual typewriter lol] I could see an open plan office on the far side, where ladies used comptometers. I remember thinking how fast their fingers worked and how they didn't need to look at the keys. I wonder if your mom was one of them.......they were all such a friendly bunch.

Could well be my mom was circular that is she was as wide as she was tall! But so was her heart and her smile and she loved being around young people so you never know she might have said hello

Back