• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

H.P Sauce Birmingham

“Heinz claims it is the first change to the butty booster's bottle design in 123 years.”

In 1984 there was a series of letters to the Times about the loss of the much loved French label on the HP sauce bottle. It used to contain the sentence "elle est absolument pure.” One of the letters was from EH Moore whose grandfather was the founder of the Company and who wished the old label to be reinstated in its entirety.

Letters went on to mourn the diminished size of the Officer and Indian servant on the camp coffee bottle, and asked if the Lion would disappear from the Tate and Lyle syrup tin. The secretary from Tate and Lyle then answered with a letter to allay the fears.

“Heinz claims it is the first change to the butty booster's bottle design in 123 years.”

In 1984 there was a series of letters to the Times about the loss of the much loved French label on the HP sauce bottle. It used to contain the sentence "elle est absolument pure.” One of the letters was from EH Moore whose grandfather was the founder of the Company and who wished the old label to be reinstated in its entirety.

Letters went on to mourn the diminished size of the Officer and Indian servant on the camp coffee bottle, and asked if the Lion would disappear from the Tate and Lyle syrup tin. The secretary from Tate and Lyle then answered with a letter to allay the fears.
i think i will write a letter about the loss of hp beans.

during the lockdown i decided to research a bit about HP...very surprised that so far i can find no blue plaque for edwin samson moore who started HP..came from humble beginnings and in the 1870s was living with his wife mary in hunters vale which is where my dad grew up...occupation at that time was commercial traveller..in 1881 he was living in tower road aston occuption vinigar brewer employing 22 people...then he went onto starting HP..as far as i can see all the houses he lived at are now gone except for the wonderful health resorts he visited oftern and died there (now belongs to the council) but it does seem a shame there is no plaque for him somewhere as HP played a massive part of brum history...maybe others know different??

lyn

Last edited:
Don't know if a reference to this book as been posted before or not.....the on-line price varies between £2.50 and £80.00 , I think mine is a first edition, I know I have it over 30 years ...

The True Story of H P Sauce by Landen Dinsdale Daniel Jennifer

Cannot see how any sane person can expect £80 for the book. This seems to be another case of sellers on ebay having brainstorms. The three on Abebooks are £5-£8. Another slightly earlier, company-produced. book is "The Road to Aston Cross" by Louise Wright

Don't know if a reference to this book as been posted before or not.....the on-line price varies between £2.50 and £80.00 , I think mine is a first edition, I know I have it over 30 years ...

The True Story of H P Sauce by Landen Dinsdale Daniel Jennifer
I was intrigued by the name -names? - of the author(s?)
The name, in reverse, of Dinsdale Landen rang a bell as he was a well known actor. RAF types will remember him in Mosquito Squadron.
https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0484553/

Cannot see how any sane person can expect £80 for the book. This seems to be another case of sellers on ebay having brainstorms. The three on Abebooks are £5-£8. Another slightly earlier, company-produced. book is "The Road to Aston Cross" by Louise Wright
Its the money grabbers that put many, including me, off Ebay.

HP Sauce now banned from our house. I'd also ban Heinz Baked Beans, but they're better than anyone else's....

The first job-interview I ever had was for a lab-technician at HP Sauce. I could hardly breathe as they gave me a tour of the place - there was an overwhelming stench of vinegar that made me almost heave. No way could I have worked there.

Big Gee
We used to live near there and my school was also nearby. The stench used to be awful.................

Back