• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

h.c.smith rea street

ann hughes

knowlegable brummie
does anyone remembern h.c.smiths warehouse in rea street brimingham or worked there in the offices 1957 onwards

I worked there for about 8 months in 1964 in the boot and wellington section. We had a full time packer, a great bear of a man and I learned how to wrap the most difficult of parcels from him. That is all I learned that I can recall but it has proved useful down the years. It was next to or very near the slaughterhouse, the road gutters ran with blood and other even less savory things. The smell was dreadful.

this was my first job from school i was there for about three years yes i remember the slaughter house and the awfull smell when us girls walked past at a luch time the lads used to through the full bladders at us the stood there covered in blood

My mother joan deaves (nee tranter) and father bryan deaves worked here too. My mom worked here straight from school so late 1950's into the 1960's. My dad was in the sports footwear and wellingtons buyer. They both remember the smell from the abatoir

My dad bryan deaves can remember les and tony rowe ( father and son) miss crump secretary, a l smith, h c smith, mick comerford, roy smitton, windsor george ( my dads best man) windsor was rep for south wales

I worked in the accounts office started as a junior filing had to go round all the warehouse giving back the slips of the end of the invoices very shy in those days the lads used to play you up miss crump was my boss very strict Mrs Stuart was my my leader in the accounts only ember the names of my fellow office workers and mr r.f.smith and h.c. Smith the big bosses left just after I was eighteen to get more money

Hi I worked at h.c smiths when I left school,my very first job in a small office,with a girl called Margaret Lloyd.yes the smell from the abattoir was disgusting it came through the canteen window when you were eating,most lunch times I would have cheese and crackers.my manager was called mrs cannon.you would get a good discount on shoes,so I used to get shoes for everyone. The floors were wooden and made a noise when walking across them,I did a lot of filing and learnt to use an addressograph like a giant typewriter that typed metal plates for customers. Accounts.happy days

My father Keith Jackson worked for them, mid 1960s. I think he was a sales rep but not 100% certain on that.

Back