• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

gwinnetts

stevejgwinn

proper brummie kid
does anybody have any information on the gwinnett family who lived in pugh rd aston during the 2nd ww :confused2:

hello

wifred gwinnett 1899 -1948 was married to ethel elizabeth rivett 1899-1981 had 5 children all have died . edwin charles 1925-1996 was married to rose [no maiden name] who may still be alive well into her 80s -90 can't trace death record , she could hold answers to unnamed photos and family history , or maybe any body that knew the family might help .

Had a look on ancestry for the marriage but couldn't find it:confused2:.Trying to find maiden name.

Did find a possible birth/death for Edwin(but slight difference to your dates)

Name: Edwin Charles Gwinnett
Birth: 21 Sep 1927
Death: Jul 1996 - Birmingham, Warwickshire

thank you

thank you mrs T , i believe the whole family during the war lived at 39 pugh rd aston there was 5 children
elen elizabeth gwinnett 1924
edwin charles 1927
florence may 1926
wilfred alexander 1928
john edward 1931
all have passed away but i'm hoping rose who was married to edwin[ted] may still be a live .thank you for your help ,

welcome

Hi Steve,
Nice to see you have found this site, its always very helpful, and people are always very kind and quick to respond to your questions,
Best of luck with your research, how are you getting on with the Wragg side.
Email you soon.
Sandra

Hi steve

Marriages --

Wilfred A/ Margaret J Masters 3rd qtr 1951 Birmingham 9c 903

Ellen E/Sidney A Bicknell 3rd qtr 1952 Birmingham 9c 125

Edwin C/Freda M Andrews 3rd qtr 1953 Birmingham 9c 235

John E/Amy Wragg 3rd qtr 1957 Bromsgrove 9d 62

Florence M/Edmund Dent 1st qtr 1963 Surrey N 5G 872

Plenty there for you to work on ;)

bren

Hi Steve
I have Gwinnetts in my tree but back a bit from yours. My Great Grandfather, Harry Taylor married Florence Mary Gwinnett on 6/1/1895. Her father was Richard. Florence was born C1874. Could this be part of the same family?
Maggie

39 Pugh Road
Wilfred and Ethel Elizabeth Gwinnett
Wilfred and Ethel Elizabeth Gwinnett and Edwin G Gwinnett
Wilfred and Ethel Elizabeth Gwinnett and Edwin G Gwinnett
Ellen E Gwinnett and Florence M Gwinnett
Ethel Elizabeth Gwinnett,Florence M Gwinnett,John E Gwinnett
and Sidney A and Ellen E Bicknell.

Thanks for that, Ladylinda. I think I need to go back a bit to come forward, if you see what I mean!! I need to find my Florence's siblings etc., then I can come forward a generation.
Regards
Maggie

hello sorry for the delay. i need more info on richard gwinnett florence's father, i have 5 richard gwinnett's in my tree, two of them might match.
many thanks steve

Hi Steve
I don't have much info really, only what is on their marriage cert.
Date 6th January 1895
St Stephens Church
ages of both 21 years
Harry Taylor Soldier
Address of both 14 Ct 4H Paddington Street
Brides father Richard Gwinnett Engineer
Witnesses Thomas Isaac Bullock & Mabel Abnett

Does that help at all?

Maggie

Steve,
You may remember my asking you about Richard Gwinnett. I have today recieved the 2nd marriage cert. of Florence Mary Gwinnett to Arthur Charles Hughes as a widow of 58 years. On it it says her father was Richard Alexander Gwinnett (deceased) , a mechanical Engineer. Is this one of your 5 Richards?
Regards
Maggie

hello maggie, yes i do remember, Richard Alexander Gwinnett is in my tree he is my 1st cousin 3x removed, his father was Richard Gwinnett 1845 Tipton, my 2nd great grand uncle, whose father was Edwin Alexander Gwinnett 1804 Tipton, my 3rd great grandfather. What was Richard Alexander Gwinnett relationship to you, many thanks, steve

Hi Steve
Richard Alexander was my Great Great Grandfather. His daughter Florence Mary married Harry Taylor. I am from their eldest sons line. After Harry died Florence remarried at the age of 58 to Charles Arthur Hughes in 1933. He was a Sheet metal worker. Florence outlived him as well as Charles died in 1945. I haven't found Florences death yet.
regards
Maggie

hi Maggie, we share the same ancestor in Edwin Alexander Gwinnett 1804- 1882 , I do have alot of info on EAG , I would love to share with you , I'm in the process in trying to establish who his father and mother were , I know it was a John and Sarah Gwinnett but there are several John and Sarah Gwinnetts , the most obivious one is a John and Sarah Howes married at St Martins Birmingham 1786, its the one most people go for because it the only one on the IGI that matches , BUT then the IGI is incomplete and I have found other possiblities , I am working through the parish records and other records in Worcestershire and Staffordshire hoping to confirm it. Do you have any info which could help ? Steve

Hi Steve, can't help with the earlier stuff, I'm afraid. I've only started on this line recently. I've been on Ancestry and pulled off some census info. The Richard born 1845 must have had the middle name of Alexander although most of the time it wasn't mentioned in the census'. When Richard's daughter, Florence Mary (born 1874) married my Great Grandfather Harry, her father's name on the certigicate is just Richard. But when she remarried after Harry's death, then she has his name as Richard Alexander.
Looking on Ancestry my Richard A also had a son with the same name born C1869.
From the results I found the earlier family were from Tipton, Staffs. Two of the older sibs of Florence Mary were christened in Sedgley (I found them on Ancestry too).
I'm off to Somerset next week to do some research on the other side of my family. Four full days in the records dept. One day I'll get up to Brum to see the city properly. I've only been once for a funneral, and passed through New St. station a few times. When I can afford the hotel costs!!
Maggie

Back