• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gwilliam Harry (Henry?)

theodore

master brummie
Harry or Henry Gwilliam was born in Droitwich year unknown but around 1885. He was killed in action November 1914. Any details (census etc.) on when he was born and his immediate family would be most appreciated.
Regards

Peter

Re: Harry (Henry?) Gwilliam

this looks like the census for 1891 in droitwich

henry gwilliam 44 hay trusser
maria 45
sarah a 20 cook domestic servant
maria 18 domestic servant
susan 11
ellen 9
william henry 7
frank 1

and nxt door but one

benjamin gwilliam 49 general labourer
jane 41
william 14 gen. lab.
george 12
annie 7
HENRY 5
james 1

all born droitwich

1901 still in droitwich

benjamin gwilliam 60 hay trusser
jane 51
annie 17 domestic servant
henry 15 hay trusser miller
james 10
rose 6
george 21 (son) soldier 4th wor regiment

all born droitwich

Free BMD has this entry:

Births December Quarter 1883

Gwilliam William Henry Droitwich 6c 369

Doug

Theodore.
I think the Henry Gwilliam you are looking for born approx. 1886 is the Henry Gwilliam age 15 Hay Trusser, son of Benjamin Gwilliam on 1901 Census for Droitwich. I belive he married Laur Elizabeth Hughes as reg. March 1907 Vol 6C page 463. The other Henry Gwilliam age 44 Hay trusser on 1891 census for Droitwich is brother of above Benjamin Gwilliam.

Last edited:

Hi Peter,
Ive only just seen this message.a few years too late but Harry Gwilliam died on Nov 14th 1914 aged 29 not 17 as you printed in your book. James not Joesph was his brother killed in action with him. I am his Great Grand daughter who lives in Droitwich and have been researching my family tree. I wish i had seen this forum sooner to have helped you with some information.
Lulu

Hi Lulu,

Thank you for the reply. I'm still very involved in researching 2nd Bn. Worcestshire Regiment (14 Star men) and any new information is very welcome. If you can add any further details regarding Harry (a photograph would be great) it would be most appreciated. All the research I have done so far (this covers just over 1600 men) goes to the Regimental Archives at Worcester for their records.

Regards

Peter

Henry Gwilliam was married to my mother Laura elizabeth hughes they were both born in droitwich they came to birmingham and he became a fire man they had six children LILLY Hilda Dorothy Albert harry and EDWARD he was killed at ypes belgium in november 1914 i am the last one of lauras children living

Hi jjj.3679

Thank you for the info. Do you have a photo of Henry in uniform by any chance?

Regards

Peter

sorry no she had his portrait on the wall but dont know who had it when she died , i will ask around the family some one may have one all the best with your research of cause i will let you know if one turns up

Back