• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gun Trade Factories

My aunt (by marriage) worked for the gun company H B Pottier's (not sure of the spelling). I remember as a child that when my Mom telephoned her at work |(because they didn't have a telephone at home) she would answer 'H B Pottier's' and my Mom would retort 'You get pottier and pottier every time I ring!' I have been following this thread, hoping to find some mention of the firm my aunt worked for, but I haven't seen anything. I put a search on Google, and thought something might come up, but I still haven't had any luck. Does anyone here know of the company?

That is quite possible. In my mind I thought it was HB Pottier, but I could have reversed the two initials (after all it was about 65 years ago). I suppose gun manufacturers could have been listed as Engineers, which is what I'm guessing Engs is short for. Thanks for this, anyway.
Also Loveday St was in the Gun Quarter. If they were making parts for guns they would describe themselves as engineers rather than gunmakers.

B.H,Pottier seems to first appear in the 1915 Kellys as machine tool makers at 25,27 Brearley St. In 1921 they are still in Brearley St and described as nut & bolt manufacturers. In 1940 as screw manufacturers (hexagon hole safety type) and capstan lathe and repetition work and are in Loveday St

In 1914 Horn, Pottier and Company was dissolved and the Business carried on by Benjamin Horace Pottier as B. H. Pottier and Co.

H.B.Pottier and Co…Grace Guide gives a little info, but in 1949 were mentioned as Engineers, Loveday Street (51-63)

In 1933 they were mentioned at 25-29, Brearley Street.

It appears that in Feb 1920 WW Greener Ltd. took over business of gun maker and dealer from EH Pottier (could be misprint) at Brearley Street.
I could not remember the name of Grace's Guide to look up to see if they were listed. Thank you for the reminder.

Wow! I thought maybe one person might have heard of the company, but the comments I've seen on here since I asked my question have filled in quite a chunk of my aunt's limited involvement in the Gun Quarter. I can imaging her answering the phone to customers, or dealing with queries. The company seems to have had quite a longish history.

There is a notice of a death in 1971 of a lady who had been the Secretary at BH Pottier, and living in Yardley.

Came across this in the Midland & Northern Coal & Iron trades Gazette in 1880, Never heard Birmingham described as the "town of doll's eyes" before

Midland & Northern Coal & Iron Trades Gaz.- 16 June 1880.jpg

There is a thread…

Benjamin Horace Pottier was my grandfather. He died I think in 1971. His business was called B H Pottier & CO and it started in Brearley Street and was later carried on at Loveday Street. I understand that the business was sold as a going concern maybe in the 40's or 50's. I also understand but cannot be sure that it continued to trade for sometime under the Pottier name.
Attached are some advertising for the firm.

Ian Price 20210104_174505.jpg

Benjamin Horace Pottier was my grandfather. He died I think in 1971. His business was called B H Pottier & CO and it started in Brearley Street and was later carried on at Loveday Street. I understand that the business was sold as a going concern maybe in the 40's or 50's. I also understand but cannot be sure that it continued to trade for sometime under the Pottier name.
Attached are some advertising for the firm.

Ian Price View attachment 174098
i wonder if they made weapon parts

Pete, looking at the graces guide, they have all of the machine tools, processes (back in the day) skill sets and capabilities to make gun parts. There was a demand and they were capable. There maybe something else but they certainly were more than capable.
yer surprised if not if they did not.

Back