• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gun Quarter or Gun Factory photos - plea for help

Gun Quarter - Wikipedia
I used to love going around the gun quarter with my dad,watching the smiths making the gun actions.filling a bit here and there to get it to fit. then there was the shops in steel house lane,with the sporting guns in the window for sale. back then it seemed that you had to be a millionaire to afford one.

Attachments

• gun quarter 2.jpg
    gun quarter 2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • gun quarter.jpg
    gun quarter.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 25
The second photo looks like Greeners (?) gun factory. I have stood in the room behind the coat of arms on the first floor. Had a good look around the old factory too. Rows and rows of work benches, each one with a gas pipe

Back when I was a apprentice I followed the driver Phil delivering a Jag back to a customer
The customer was a gun smith real small narrow place, down the one side stored wood for the stocks your pick, then along the other side was his work bench with guns in various stages
Looking back I wish I paid more attention to what I was looking at but I did see a couple of finished guns and knew they did not come cheap.

Back when I was a apprentice I followed the driver Phil delivering a Jag back to a customer
The customer was a gun smith real small narrow place, down the one side stored wood for the stocks your pick, then along the other side was his work bench with guns in various stages
Looking back I wish I paid more attention to what I was looking at but I did see a couple of finished guns and knew they did not come cheap.
you got a good one for 400.000
:)

I remember going to the Gun Quarter with my uncle when I was 9 or 10, he had a farm near Water Orton I would spend time at. We walked back through those old worn alley ways to where the gunsmiths were making a new 12 bore shot gun for him. It was very dark and smelly with 4 or 5 men in leather aprons. The second time he took me, the gun was finished, it looked like a shinny jewel. I remember those two visits like it was yesterday!

I remember going to the Gun Quarter with my uncle when I was 9 or 10, he had a farm near Water Orton I would spend time at. We walked back through those old worn alley ways to where the gunsmiths were making a new 12 bore shot gun for him. It was very dark and smelly with 4 or 5 men in leather aprons. The second time he took me, the gun was finished, it looked like a shinny jewel. I remember those two visits like it was yesterday!
they are works of art.did your uncle let to use it?

Several branchs of my mother's family were in the gun trade and whilst several pictures of the buildings and businesses are still floating around, there are very few of the gunsmiths actually working on the guns or making actions for them.

Maurice :cool:

Several branchs of my mother's family were in the gun trade and whilst several pictures of the buildings and businesses are still floating around, there are very few of the gunsmiths actually working on the guns or making actions for them.

yes Maurice. sadly there will be none in Brum. apprentices don't seem to like the work. most weapons now are made abroad.

Birmingham has a connection with the Alamo and the famous battle
Most or a very good portion of the arms used by the Texiens during the battle had their " actions " made in Birmingham.
As a side note more people from the UK were killed there than Texians.

Most or a very good portion of the arms used by the Texiens during the battle had their " actions " made in Birmingham.
Many many Birmingham made guns were used by the Confederate (Southern) Army in the US civil war.

The Birmingham Small Arms Trade Association had supplied many of the guns during this period, and in 1861 fourteen of these gun smiths formed the Birmingham Small Arms Company (BSA).
It is estimated that around 800,000 weapons were shipped from Birmingham to America during the latter's Civil War. One of the main suppliers was William Tranter, who supplied revolvers to the Confederate forces. General Custer is known to have owned a Galand and Sommerville .44 revolver, which was faster to load than existing American pistols. George Custer carried a Remington .50-caliber sporting rifle with octagonal barrel and two revolvers that were not standard issue–possibly Webley British Bulldog, double-action, white-handled revolvers.

Back