• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gun Factories / Gun Quarter - Staff Lists ??

All my fathers family were in the gun trade in London. My grandfather was a stock maker and my grandmother a gun barrel browner. Don't know why they called them 'browners' when all the guns are black. She used to do it in her kitchen having a large boiler in there. My father run away to Birmingham when he was sixteen. Before the second world war he worked at Webley & Scott and then moved to the BSA where he worked during the war. I remember him experimenting in our kitchen to get the best covering for gun parts to prevent rust. I only threw one part away a few months ago that I found in the garage, still as good as ever with not a spot of rust. The shed at home was full of bottles of acid and other chemicals which I had to dispose of when he died. So much skill in all those who worked in the gun trade.

All my fathers family were in the gun trade in London. My grandfather was a stock maker and my grandmother a gun barrel browner. Don't know why they called them 'browners' when all the guns are black. She used to do it in her kitchen having a large boiler in there. My father run away to Birmingham when he was sixteen. Before the second world war he worked at Webley & Scott and then moved to the BSA where he worked during the war. I remember him experimenting in our kitchen to get the best covering for gun parts to prevent rust. I only threw one part away a few months ago that I found in the garage, still as good as ever with not a spot of rust. The shed at home was full of bottles of acid and other chemicals which I had to dispose of when he died. So much skill in all those who worked in the gun trade.
[/QUOTE.... THANKS FOR THE POST VERY INTERESTING THANKS.
Damascus brown barrels. 1592414080644.png

Bluing (steel) - Wikipedia

rust Bluing with Simple Homemade Rust Activator t's made by mixing 1) household ammonia (more accurately, ammonium hydroxide (aq)) 2) crumbled charcoal (carbon) and 3) gun bluing (Selenious Acid, Cupric Nitrate, Nitric Acid, Phosphoric Acid and water [MSDS) in equal parts.
  • or just buy a bottle,it is quicker...1592414129550.png

Thank for your reply mwOnjm. Very rare see brown barrels. Can you imagine trying to buy all the ingredients for that these days, probably be arrested thinking you was going to blow up Houses of Parliament. Certainly didn't realise you could buy that gun blue, and quite a reasonable price

Thank for your reply mwOnjm. Very rare see brown barrels. Can you imagine trying to buy all the ingredients for that these days, probably be arrested thinking you was going to blow up Houses of Parliament. Certainly didn't realise you could buy that gun blue, and quite a reasonable price
ta for reply:grinning:. I use it but its not as good as the real thing, done by a G/smith.A lot of new barrels now are painted black. (not nice at all i think).

Nothing beats the original techniques does it. I was just thinking of all the skills involved in various parts of a gun. Cannot realise how much work goes into making a stock for instance, particularly if made to measure. All done for easiest and cheapest these days

May, not sure, maybe this should be put in a different thread, but anyone out there involved in any of the old rifle clubs. For a number of years in the 1950's I was a member of the Handsworth Rifle and Pistol club who had an outdoor range on the Handsworth Golf club. Also member of the 3rd Warwicks Club with a 25 yard range behind a pub ( can't remember which one) based in Birmingham city centre. Just thinking how I used to travel there on the bus with my rifle and pistol in a canvas bag and the ammo in my pocket. Those were the days !!!

,Not sure, maybe this should be put in a different thread, but anyone out there involved in any of the old rifle clubs. For a number of years in the 1950's I was a member of the Handsworth Rifle and Pistol club who had an outdoor range on the Handsworth Golf club. Also member of the 3rd Warwicks Club with a 25 yard range behind a pub ( can't remember which one) based in Birmingham city centre. Just thinking how I used to travel there on the bus with my rifle and pistol in a canvas bag and the ammo in my pocket. Those were the days !!!
The mods will soon tell us.:worried:........... I was a member of the british leyland (Morris commercial) gun club alum rock..

Hi, looking through hubby's scrapbook see until 1970 his dad worked at GKN, where at one time they made screws for BSA rifles during the Slave Trade, how many hundreds of years ago? Reading this hubby said can't exactly call them Gun Makers but did make BSA Motor Bikes and believes the engine designs were copied from German 'war' motor bikes. :)

Very much enjoying reading about the history and memories of the gun trade in the city. Here's a few photos of my GG Grandfather John Saunders who had a gun maker business in Anderton Sq, Whittal St. I also tracked down an owner of one of the guns he made in 1916.John Saunders at Ascot Races in1870.jpgJohn Saunders Business Letterhead.JPGSaunders Gun and message from owner in 2014 .PNG

Maybe need to move this post to hobbies but topical:)
Sorry to mention lockdown but at some point I told our 5yr old Grandson that I had built a bunker in his bedroom at our house - don't recall saying it ( maybe it's an age thing). But ever since he's wanting to visit his bedroom! He's been in the house but not allowed upstairs cos we've told him its not virus free but real reason is Papa has been trying to dig himself out of a hole!!!

Well I looked at the quick alternatives and checked the internet but didn't find anything suitable other than cheap toys. As he's a military buff and can name most of the WW1 and WW11 armaments (German UK and US) off by heart he wasn't going to be surprised easily!

Having posted on the Gun Factories / Gun Quarter - Staff Lists recently I thought I'd be innovative and make something more realistic. I chose to make a Browning M1919 - mainly because it was a simple box construction - nevertheless its taken almost two weeks.

Haven't made anything for ages and my specs aren't ideal as they are for reading only and without plans,I've been constantly switching between specs, normal vision internet pics and videos. I wanted to get the overall scale correct but as for everything else it's been a case of approximation, visual effect and a "blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it"

Our eldest son came up from London and did the electrics so I could complete - machine gun sounds etc - all programable from USB connection- beyond my knowledge!

There have been lots of mental challenges along the way - how to improvise using daily objects, soldering glueing etc.!

This has been a wonderful project, not only because it will please our Grandson but because it has taught me to how to be resourceful and given me an appreciation of why pattern makers were so important for mass producing goods!!!!

Nowhere near as cheap as buying online but very satisfying!

Batteries are exhausted already :)
1594885896594.png

Last edited:
Sorry to mention lockdown but at some point I told our 5yr old Grandson that I had built a bunker in his bedroom at our house - don't recall saying it ( maybe it's an age thing). But ever since he's wanting to visit his bedroom! He's been in the house but not allowed upstairs cos we've told him its not virus free but real reason is Papa has been trying to dig himself out of a hole!!!

Well I looked at the quick alternatives and checked the internet but didn't find anything suitable other than cheap toys. As he's a military buff and can name most of the WW1 and WW11 armaments (German UK and US) off by heart he wasn't going to be surprised easily!

Having posted on the Gun Factories / Gun Quarter - Staff Lists recently I thought I'd be innovative and make something more realistic. I chose to make a Browning M1919 - mainly because it was a simple box construction - nevertheless its taken almost two weeks.

Haven't made anything for ages and my specs aren't ideal as they are for reading only and without plans,I've been constantly switching between specs, normal vision internet pics and videos. I wanted to get the overall scale correct but as for everything else it's been a case of approximation, visual effect and a "blind man on a galloping horse would be glad to see it"

Our eldest son came up from London and did the electrics so I could complete - machine gun sounds etc - all programable from USB connection- beyond my knowledge!

There have been lots of mental challenges along the way - how to improvise using daily objects, soldering glueing etc.!

Product list:
Wine Box
Plastic drain pipe
Garden hose sprayer
Broom handle
Drainpipe
Copper tube
Toy bullets
Sound Box and electrics - help needed

This has been a wonderful project, not only because it will please our Grandson but because it has taught me to how to be resourceful and given me an appreciation of the gun making cottage industry and why pattern makers were so important for mass producing goods!!!!

Nowhere as cheap as buying online but very satisfying!

View attachment 146727

View attachment 146726
mbenne, very very impressive!

Product list:
Wine Box
Plastic drain pipe
Garden hose sprayer
Broom handle
Drainpipe
Copper tube
Toy bullets
Sound Box and electrics - help needed

This has been a wonderful project, not only because it will please our Grandson but because it has taught me to how to be resourceful and given me an appreciation of the gun making cottage industry and why pattern makers were so important for mass producing goods!!!!

Nowhere as cheap as buying online but very satisfying!

View attachment 146729
View attachment 146730

View attachment 146731
brilliant. but be carefull.you dont want the tactical team bashing your door in.:worried:
real thing..1594881907904.png

ye
A very impressive project, but perhaps a bit too realistic to be taken out of the house
as mike said;;
dont do that.

it is an offence to possess an imitation firearm in a public place (unless the person can prove he / she has a reasonable excuse) or to manufacture, import or sell a realistic imitation firearm. There are some exceptions for weapons used in historical re-enactments, theatrical productions and film making.

An imitation firearm has been defined as 'anything, which has the appearance of a firearm' so could include toy guns. Many imitation weapons are very realistic and until the weapon has been seized it is difficult to ascertain whether it is genuine or not.

All calls to police involving firearms are treated as if it is a genuine firearm so be aware that if you do wave an imitation firearm around you could find yourself surrounded by firearms officers pointing real weapons at you.

Sorry I can't help with your request re employees but by coincidence My GGM's father married a Hannah Field in 1858. Her Father was Thomas Field, Gun Maker. I assume that before marrying she would have lived with him in Brearley Street. There was also a gun and pistol factory around the corner in Summer Lane (Probably Benltley and Playfair).

View attachment 145361
The book, Birmingham's Industrial Heritage 1900-2000 contains an excellent section on gun making in Birmingham and lists the main employers which gave business to the smaller workshops.
There could be a link to thomas field bcos i have a thomas in my tree from that era

Back