• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street - Woolaway Family?

izmoll1

Brummie babby
Hi,
Does anyone remember the Woolaway family living at number 179 ? My mother Sylvia sadly died last year, and told me very little about her childhood home and life, so I am interested in any information about the street, local schools, catholic church etc.

Izmoll.

hi izmoll 1....there is a large thread dedicated to guildford and one or two of our members lived there so you may want to take a look at it and ask your question again..just type in guildford in the search box top right of the page...there are also lots of photos of the street....

lyn

Hi izmoll1,

I seem to recall an Ernie Woolaway who was in my class at Lozells Rd. Junior school back in 1948-49. We would both have been about 8 or 9 at the time. Does this name ring a bell ?

Hi DaveG,

I am not sure that the name Ernie fits, but the dates do - will investigate further.Thanks for responding.

Izmoll

your welcome izmoll..if you have any problems finding the thread let me know...

lyn

Hi Astoness - my biggest problem is that I am unfamiliar with forums, and so am sending replies out all over the place and in the wrong order! Please forgive me until I get the hang of it.

Izmoll x

dont worry izmoll we were all beginners to start with...it will take you some time to get the hang of it but i am sure you will

lyn

Hi Izmoll

Don't know if the following is of any help?

179 Guildford Street
1945 Kathleen Woolaway
1950 John E & Kathleen Woolaway
1955 John & Kathleen Woolaway

In 1939 at 237 Summer Lane
John Ernest & Kathleen Elisabeth Woolaway

Suzanne

hello izmoli
there was a family called woolaway lived in geach st. remember terry woolaway, his brother worked for ovreton ths bookies in geach st.

Hi Suzanne,
Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, that sounds like my grandparents, who sadly, I never met. How did you know of them?

Many thanks,

Izmoll

Hi Misfit,
I am wondering if maybe your Dad is related to my Mum, Sylvia (Sylvesta) ? I believe she was the oldest of 12 children - her parents were John and Kathleen Woolaway?

hi im sorry my dad terry woolaway is not related to your mom,best of luck to you in your search.sorry i could not help you...misfit

My Hubby remembers a Woolaway family in Guilford St. They were a bigger family than his so you are talking 16/17 kids. We also had Woolaways live close to me in Clifford St who went to Lozells School.

Hello
As regards the woolaway family they resided in the next yard to us ,my mom always regarded them as a bit of a rough lot and did not encouragh us to mix with them, hoever being kids we did cant remember any names but do remember that they were a large family

hello misfit
i knew your dad. he was older then me .we lived the bottom end of geach street

hi regan and welcome to the forum..there are plenty of pics of geach st on the geach st thread...would you be related to billy and john regan..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi DaveG,

I am not sure that the name Ernie fits, but the dates do - will investigate further.Thanks for responding.

Izmoll
Hi Izmoll1

I happened to see this old message, DaveG is correct Billy the eldest lad ( real name was Ernest) was at Lozells street school at that date. Unfortunately their father gave most of them nick names by which they were generally known.
I was friends with the 2 eldest Lads Billy (Ernest) and Tony and I vaguely remember remember your mother Sylvia.

BOB1

Back