• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guildford Street Lozells

Wonderful Photos of Guildford Street.
My Dad's family 'Lowe' lived in this street during the 40's and 50's. They later moved to Bartley Green in 1952. He was born 3/142 Berners Street but moved to 194 Guildford Street (in between Gower Street and Gerrard Street) shortly after. We think one of the photos shows his row and he recollects the Farmer family next door, The Smiths, The Richards and Thomsons. He also remembers a large family called the Doodys (not sure on spelling) but were so numerous they would have to eat in shifts! He also recollects Furnace Lane and families who lived down there; the Hancoxes, Bishops and Dawsons. His grandparents lived 4/189 Guildford Street around 1918. He also said the place would smell of vinegar and he mentioned the Vinegar works (Manor Vinegar Brewing) off Gower Street.
Also on Guildford St between Gower & Gerrard St, was a bookie, we used to go past it on the way to Gower St school.
Dave A

Also on Guildford St between Gower & Gerrard St, was a bookie, we used to go past it on the way to Gower St school.
Dave A
Hi Dave, I think My Dad mentioned this. The one he spoke about was a bit 'dodgy' was behind some double wooden gates and you passed the money through a hole in the wooden gates. Was this the one you were thinking of or a more 'legit' one!
JoseLowe

Hi Dave, I think My Dad mentioned this. The one he spoke about was a bit 'dodgy' was behind some double wooden gates and you passed the money through a hole in the wooden gates. Was this the one you were thinking of or a more 'legit' one!
JoseLowe
Definitely dodgy! Gambling was illegal back then. There was always a 'lookout man' that kept an eye out for the law. We would sometimes yell out "Bobby" as we passed by, just to get him going. Most people had their own bookie back then, our mom would use one up Summer Lane, near Moorsom St.
Dave A

josie this pic may give a clearer shot of 194 or was it 192..again numbered 172 to 204 but looking the other way...you can see the gates further down this time...so i am assuming the corner cafe is on gower st...

lyn

DSCF1040.jpg

Last edited:
josie this pic may give a clearer shot of 194 or was it 192..again numbered 172 to 204 but looking the other way...you can see the gates further down this time...so i am assuming the corner cafe is on gower st...

lyn

View attachment 121906
He remembers this cafe! It's a clearer picture of his house. I should get him to join so he can share more of his stories and tales!
Thanks

glad to be of help josie and yes it would be great if your dad could join us...its not only photos we rely on to keep us going but also peoples memories are most important as well...if your dad does not fancy joining you could always post his memories on his behalf...:) by the way i was born in paddington st which was off guildford st

lyn

He remembers this cafe! It's a clearer picture of his house. I should get him to join so he can share more of his stories and tales!
Thanks
That was Ted's Cafe. I believe that I mentioned before that Ted's used to sell popsicles, er sorry, ice lollies. Some of the lollie sticks were stamped TED'S CAFE, which, if you were luck enough to get one, entitled you to a free one.
Dave A

Thanks
I used to play with 2 brothers, Tony and Alan(or Harold) Lowe who lived in Guildford Street in the 1950`s who lived just down the street from the cafe in the photo I wonder if one could be your father.

Regards BOB1

Thank you very much. Mike, that was a speedy bit of work! So it is roughly behind number 146 Guildford Street. They packed them in tight in those days!

Maurice
Sorry not on here very often - Gladstone Terrace was indeed behind 146 Guildford St. 29 back of 146 used to be our address from 1963 to November 1968

I used to play with 2 brothers, Tony and Alan(or Harold) Lowe who lived in Guildford Street in the 1950`s who lived just down the street from the cafe in the photo I wonder if one could be your father.

Regards BOB1
Hi Yes it probably is my dad, his younger brother was Tony and his name is Harold but would get called 'Al'. I will show him this link!!

Hi Josie when you speak to your father ask him if he remembers Bob Plant who lived in Gower Street and went to Lozells Street school with him.
regards BOB1

Great to see photos of Guilford St between Gower St & Gerrard St. We used to hang around there outside Stanley Huddleston's house with our mates 1960-61, no doubt annoying the local residents. Together with Stanley, Teresa Green, Thelma Jones & Danny Haywood (who lived in Gower St) come to mind.

Back