• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

Here is the picture: On the left, looking at the picture is my great grandmother Marie. Originally Haycock she married my great grandfather Francis Harry Crompton. In 1873 Marie and Francis, with their daughter Annie Marieaged 4 and their baby son emigrated to New York. I know nothing of why they went, presumably looking for work. Around that time Francis had been working as a jeweller’s chaser and living in a court in Gt Russell Street. While there my grandfather, another Francis Harry was born. I am not sure when or why they returned to Birmingham but I know they were back by 1879 and in 1881 were living at number 2 Furnace Lane and Francis was back working as a chaser in the jewellery trade.
In 1991 they were living in Farm Street and later Kelly's Directory shows Francis as a shopkeeper at 31 Guildford Street in 1895 and 1896. I assume the shop was in his name, as the man, but that Marie ran it. He died in 1896 at 47.
In 1898 Marie married Thomas Walker. Thomas was also in the jewellery trade and moved into the Guildford Street shop with Marie. I am not sure when Marie died but my mom used to talk about her and the shop. I was born in 1941 and as far back that I can remember it was a private house. We lived at 26 which was almost directly opposite 31
Also in the photograph is Marie’s daughter Annie Marie Crompton. At the time of the photograph, which I assume is around the turn of the century, or a little before, Marie was married to Alfred Barlow, a silversmith, and living in Clifford Street. Later when Alfred died she married Robert James Moile and became posh – see other photograph. Robert was the step son of Mary Ann Crompton, the Aunt of Annie Marie. Annie and James lived in Kings Norton and owned property off the Lozells Road and in Sparkbrook. James was described as a licensed victualler in 1901. I don’t know what pub or pubs he ran but I do know that his stepfather, a previous husband of Mary Ann Crompton, Cornelius Johnson, ran the Porchester Arms in 1871.
In the second photo Annie Marie is in black and James is sitting on the step looking like Georg V. The poor person with the cap is probably my grandfather Francis Harry

shop.jpg

stonleigh.jpg
Hi Michael
I am new to this site and looking through this post your name seems to ring a bell with me.
Like yourself I was born in 1941 and lived at 17 Gower Street just around the corner from Guildford street.
I went to Lozells Street Primary School from 1946 until 1952 and a couple of lads I can remember were Barry Webb and Alan Waddams.

Regards BOB1 (Robert Plant)

hi bob hope you enjoyed the photos of gower st i posted especially the one showing your house

lyn

I am looking for information on my granddad who lived in Guildford street I don't know the number , but he had a gun works in the back yard his name was causer the house was opposite a little shop my older sisters went there for snuff for granny ( wich she never used lol )any info at all would be great. I'm sure mike will pull all the guns out lol . probably in the 1940's

It was pre 1940s. William Causer , gun impliment maker, was at 66 Guildford St in 1939 Kellys, but gone in 1940. You can see on the c1950 map the long shed at the back, which would have been the workshop.

map c 1950 showing 66 guildford st.jpg

In the bottom right hand corner shows where I lived in Paddington St. The gap is the bombed peck where we used to play, and the rectangle shown at the bottom centre are the toilets.
Dave A

cowperkid it seems that your family and mine cant escape each other..if you look again at mikes map the empty space on the left corner of paddington st is where a bomb hit...just 4 doors away (marked on the map is 4/12 our nans house where i was born..our mom remembered that bomb hitting (she was 12 at the time) so you can see what a lucky escape she had...very good chance our nan knew your grandfather..nan lived at 4/12 from at least 1911 until demo in the late 60s...i also remember that little shop you mentioned...

lyn

cowperkid it seems that your family and mine cant escape each other..if you look again at mikes map the empty space on the left corner of paddington st is where a bomb hit...just 4 doors away (marked on the map is 4/12 our nans house where i was born..our mom remembered that bomb hitting (she was 12 at the time) so you can see what a lucky escape she had...very good chance our nan knew your grandfather..nan lived at 4/12 from at least 1911 until demo in the late 60s...i also remember that little shop you mentioned...

lyn
Wow the plot thickens lol ,I was talking to my sister in England today and said she had three friends in Guildford street she told me there names but I cant remember them I will have to talk to her again wouldn't it be just nuts if you and my sister new the same people , my sister is quite a bit older than me and remembers more about the old end than me , being so much younger I didn't take as much in . I do remember taking our go carts down the hill , we called it Guildford hill , not street it was quite steep

hi again cowper kid i doubt if your sister and i knew the same people as i was only about 6 when our mom ..dad and brother left nans back to back in paddington st and moved to villa st but we did visit nan a lot until she herself had to leave the street...you are quite right about guildford st being very steep though...it was ok coming down it but getting up was a mission:eek: when we visited nan we usually avoided guildford st we used to walk down villa st turned left at farm st and walked along until we turned left at the bottom of guildford st and took the 2nd right into paddington st the first right would have been geach st...i take it you have seen all of the photos i have posted of guildford st ?? just as a matter of inerest how old is your sister??

lyn

Seems like we all had relatives in Guildford Street at one time or another! :) My grandmother and three other relatives lived at number 32 - all different surnames - another at number 86, and only one seems to have lived in the courts at house 32, court 14.

Maurice

yes maurice we do seem to have lot of old end members on the forum as some members know guildford st was bombed during ww2...one family has always stuck in my mind which was the astle family at 4/142..the whole lot wiped out think it was 8 of them...mom..nan.. and 6 children..no mention of the dad who could well have been away fighting...if he was away fighting and came back alive i cant even begin to imagine how if at all he got over the loss of his wife..his mother and his 6 children

lyn

lyn
You must have lived right across the street from the Davis' coalyard.
Dave A

yes dave we have spoken about the coalyard before and the map confirms i lived more or less opposite...happy christmas from one paddington streetite to the other:)

lyn

hi again cowper kid i doubt if your sister and i knew the same people as i was only about 6 when our mom ..dad and brother left nans back to back in paddington st and moved to villa st but we did visit nan a lot until she herself had to leave the street...you are quite right about guildford st being very steep though...it was ok coming down it but getting up was a mission:eek: when we visited nan we usually avoided guildford st we used to walk down villa st turned left at farm st and walked along until we turned left at the bottom of guildford st and took the 2nd right into paddington st the first right would have been geach st...i take it you have seen all of the photos i have posted of guildford st ?? just as a matter of inerest how old is your sister??

lyn
Hi Lyn my sister will be 71 next month the only sister left out of 4 . Do any of these names ring a bell to you 1 the Gaunt's 2 Frost 3 birds , the birds where a branch of my family cousins or something had a few relatives living in Guilford street with different names.

The electoral roll for the 30s gives Birds living at 2 back of 178. That is perculiar for me as I lived right at the other end. I did have a friend from primary school who lived up that way but can’t remember her name.
The names on the electoral roll were Charles Albert, James Albert, Florence, Annie Elizabeth.
There was a cabinet maker at number 23, Edwin Bird in 1895 but that was a bit before my time

Michael,

BIRD is a common name in Brum, but none of those forenames ring a bell. That makes it difficult to track them down as only one had a rare name, Olga.

Maurice

Wonderful Photos of Guildford Street.
My Dad's family 'Lowe' lived in this street during the 40's and 50's. They later moved to Bartley Green in 1952. He was born 3/142 Berners Street but moved to 194 Guildford Street (in between Gower Street and Gerrard Street) shortly after. We think one of the photos shows his row and he recollects the Farmer family next door, The Smiths, The Richards and Thomsons. He also remembers a large family called the Doodys (not sure on spelling) but were so numerous they would have to eat in shifts! He also recollects Furnace Lane and families who lived down there; the Hancoxes, Bishops and Dawsons. His grandparents lived 4/189 Guildford Street around 1918. He also said the place would smell of vinegar and he mentioned the Vinegar works (Manor Vinegar Brewing) off Gower Street.

Wonderful Photos of Guildford Street.
My Dad's family 'Lowe' lived in this street during the 40's and 50's. They later moved to Bartley Green in 1952. He was born 3/142 Berners Street but moved to 194 Guildford Street (in between Gower Street and Gerrard Street) shortly after. We think one of the photos shows his row and he recollects the Farmer family next door, The Smiths, The Richards and Thomsons. He also remembers a large family called the Doodys (not sure on spelling) but were so numerous they would have to eat in shifts! He also recollects Furnace Lane and families who lived down there; the Hancoxes, Bishops and Dawsons. His grandparents lived 4/189 Guildford Street around 1918. He also said the place would smell of vinegar and he mentioned the Vinegar works (Manor Vinegar Brewing) off Gower Street.
Also on Guildford St between Gower & Gerrard St, was a bookie, we used to go past it on the way to Gower St school.
Dave A

Also on Guildford St between Gower & Gerrard St, was a bookie, we used to go past it on the way to Gower St school.
Dave A
Hi Dave, I think My Dad mentioned this. The one he spoke about was a bit 'dodgy' was behind some double wooden gates and you passed the money through a hole in the wooden gates. Was this the one you were thinking of or a more 'legit' one!
JoseLowe

Hi Dave, I think My Dad mentioned this. The one he spoke about was a bit 'dodgy' was behind some double wooden gates and you passed the money through a hole in the wooden gates. Was this the one you were thinking of or a more 'legit' one!
JoseLowe
Definitely dodgy! Gambling was illegal back then. There was always a 'lookout man' that kept an eye out for the law. We would sometimes yell out "Bobby" as we passed by, just to get him going. Most people had their own bookie back then, our mom would use one up Summer Lane, near Moorsom St.
Dave A

josie this pic may give a clearer shot of 194 or was it 192..again numbered 172 to 204 but looking the other way...you can see the gates further down this time...so i am assuming the corner cafe is on gower st...

lyn

DSCF1040.jpg

Last edited:
josie this pic may give a clearer shot of 194 or was it 192..again numbered 172 to 204 but looking the other way...you can see the gates further down this time...so i am assuming the corner cafe is on gower st...

lyn

View attachment 121906
He remembers this cafe! It's a clearer picture of his house. I should get him to join so he can share more of his stories and tales!
Thanks

Back