• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford Street Lozells

Yes Dave A, I was in Mr Dean's class in my 3rd year. He used to throw the blackboard chalk at us if we angered him. Other teachers were J.D.T.Ball Head Teacher, Mr Williams 2nd year, Mr Wally Eyton, Mr Robertson P.E, Mr Cross science & a teacher we called "chrome dome", possibly Richards?

Attachments

• IMG_3103_Original.jpeg
    IMG_3103_Original.jpeg
    502.4 KB · Views: 28
I've put two photos together to make a panorama of Guilford St & Gower St. In 1960-61 when I was in the fourth year over the road at Gower St School, I was often charged by our teacher Mr Ward to go and get his daily sandwich. I also bought myself a tomato dip sandwich which cost 2d (tuppence). Yummy with brown sauce!View attachment 123279
Hi Banjo. I’ve only just come across this forum and it’s bought back many memories of my time at Gower Street Secondary Modern school 1958- 1962. Mr Phillips, Mr Eyton who chucked blackboard cleaners across our heads, Mr Ball the headmaster. I was a prefect and was in the chess team. Attached is a photo of the team in 1962. I left in July 1962 when I was still 14! Left on Friday, started work in Hunters Vale on the Monday - 5 and a half day working week. Wasn’t 15 until the August. Sounds Dickensian!

ok thanks john and welcome...we do have a dedicated thread for gower st school with lot of photos start reading from post 1 so that you do not miss anything...click on the link below to take you to the thread...enjoy

lyn

And the picture is taken on the roof. Possibly unique among schools to have a flat roof. It was also used to host disagreements between students where you would put "the gloves on"
Dave A

Hi John, I left in March 1961 so, the only one in your photo I recognise is Mr Williams on the left. I couldn't help but notice the two other teachers though. Are they twins or do they just bear a lot of similarities?

I used to live at 1/107 Wilton road Lozells (back to back houses). 3 sisters and me in a two bedroom house). Anyone remember this shop just up the road from 107 or the Wheeler twins who lived in the front of 105?

Attachments

• 001 (6)_Original.jpeg
    001 (6)_Original.jpeg
    66.6 KB · Views: 14
I used to live at 1/107 Wilton road Lozells (back to back houses). 3 sisters and me in a two bedroom house). Anyone remember this shop just up the road from 107 or the Wheeler twins who lived in the front of 105?
Hi John, welcome to the forum, have you viewed the Wilton Street thread there is a picture of 2 shops.

Hi John, welcome to the forum, have you viewed the Wilton Street thread there is a picture of 2 shops.

Have now found the Wilton Street thread and have reposted. To correct my post here, the twins were the Lambert twins not the Wheeler twins- got confused with Wheeler Street!

hi everyone , i'm wondering about the same map, ie guildford street in 1951-1955 I have on my moms birth certificate papers an address which is 2 bk of 183 guilford street birmingham . I'm not sure if this is a works building or a house. Any information an input would be gladly appreciated

Hi all , i'm looking into my family past. i'm wondering if any one would recognise the name Philomena Martin . i think she would have been born @ late 1920 to 30's.

Picture showing 183 Guildford Street
During the period 1959-61, our gang used to hang around my friends house at No175. I always wondered why No181 was derelict. It stood out from the rest of the houses because it had a posh front door with columns either side. You can see it on photo #613. Another odd thing was that No179 had their door in the entry. Don't know if anyone can enlighten me.

During the period 1959-61, our gang used to hang around my friends house at No175. I always wondered why No181 was derelict. It stood out from the rest of the houses because it had a posh front door with columns either side. You can see it on photo #613. Another odd thing was that No179 had their door in the entry. Don't know if anyone can enlighten me.
Hi Banjo, looking at the map No. 179 is much narrower than the other houses and has a wide entry leading to houses at the back. Possibly if it was originally a similar design to the others which meant the door would have been where the entry was and so they put the door in the entry.
1707515020074.png

Hi Banjo, looking at the map No. 179 is much narrower than the other houses and has a wide entry leading to houses at the back. Possibly if it was originally a similar design to the others which meant the door would have been where the entry was and so they put the door in the entry.
View attachment 188848
BOB1
I was friends with 2 guys in the 1950`s who lived at 179 Guildford street they were the 2 oldest sons of the Woolaway family who lived there.
I believe that the house may at onetime had been part of 181 because their front door was added in the entry.
During the 1950`s I believe the family who lived at 181 were called Doodies and when they left the property it was vandalised and flooded and always remained empty due to the extent of the damage.
At 177 across the large entry lived a family called O`neils and up the entry was Weston place and if I remember correctly there was a family called king who's grand daughter Roma was a friend of mine.

BOB1
I was friends with 2 guys in the 1950`s who lived at 179 Guildford street they were the 2 oldest sons of the Woolaway family who lived there.
I believe that the house may at onetime had been part of 181 because their front door was added in the entry.
During the 1950`s I believe the family who lived at 181 were called Doodies and when they left the property it was vandalised and flooded and always remained empty due to the extent of the damage.
At 177 across the large entry lived a family called O`neils and up the entry was Weston place and if I remember correctly there was a family called king who's grand daughter Roma was a friend of mine.
Thanks for your comments BOB1, I guess that explains the dereliction. I'm still wondering why that was the only house in the street with columns either side of the front door. Incidently, I don't know if the Woolaway family lived there in 1960 but, I too knew one of the sons. Before I left school I had a part-time job at Lincoln Jeffries in Steelhouse Lane and he also worked there in the workshop. At that time the Green family lived at 177 and my mates family, the Huddlestons lived at 175.

i know there were so many lives lost during the bombings of ww2 (2 of my own rellies included )but i dont think any has touched me so much as the loss of the astle family..mother 6 children and mother is law all perished....how on earth george astle senior who was injured but survived coped with the loss of his mother..wife and 6 children i will never know..so very sad..the other fatality on this list was mrs emily wadhams...the rest were all injured...food for thought...if you click on view it gives you a bit more info

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
AldenCaroline01/11/194018/144 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
AstleDavid01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells7CivilianView
AstleGeorge01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
AstleGeorge01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
AstleHorace01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells9CivilianView
AstleLeah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells36CivilianView
AstleMaureen01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells2CivilianView
AstleRaymond01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells8CivilianView
AstleSusannah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells62CivilianView
AstleThomas01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
CaineThomas H.09/04/194179 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
DarbisherA03/12/19404/185 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
DeemingElsie22/11/1940110, Guildford Street, lozellsCivilianView
McDonaldH09/04/194164 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
MoseleyGeorge22/11/19401/37 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
OvertonElijah19/11/19402/212 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
WadhamsEmily Elizabeth01/11/1940Guildford Street, Lozells59CivilianView
WilkinsWilliam22/11/19402/40 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilian

Thanks for your comments BOB1, I guess that explains the dereliction. I'm still wondering why that was the only house in the street with columns either side of the front door. Incidently, I don't know if the Woolaway family lived there in 1960 but, I too knew one of the sons. Before I left school I had a part-time job at Lincoln Jeffries in Steelhouse Lane and he also worked there in the workshop. At that time the Green family lived at 177 and my mates family, the Huddlestons lived at 175.
Hi Banjo
What a small world it is ,that was Tony Woolaway who worked at Lincoln Jeffries in Steelhouse Lane.
Like yourself he started working for them part time while at school and then full time on leaving. I remember him telling me that his first job was to take gun barrels to the Birmingham Proof House for testing.

Hi Banjo
What a small world it is ,that was Tony Woolaway who worked at Lincoln Jeffries in Steelhouse Lane.
Like yourself he started working for them part time while at school and then full time on leaving. I remember him telling me that his first job was to take gun barrels to the Birmingham Proof House for testing.
Blimey! I reckon Tony was around 18yrs old back then and I looked up to him. I thought he was really cool ( remember Kookie in 77 Sunset Strip). I myself went to the Proof House many times. Unfortunately, Tony's Dad didn't like us as we were always messing about in that entry. Many a time he'd come out telling us to clear off. Thanks BOB1 for that brilliant info.

Hi Banjo
i know there were so many lives lost during the bombings of ww2 (2 of my own rellies included )but i dont think any has touched me so much as the loss of the astle family..mother 6 children and mother is law all perished....how on earth george astle senior who was injured but survived coped with the loss of his mother..wife and 6 children i will never know..so very sad..the other fatality on this list was mrs emily wadhams...the rest were all injured...food for thought...if you click on view it gives you a bit more info

Last NameForename(s)Date of InjuryLocation of InjuryAgeCivil Defence Status
AldenCaroline01/11/194018/144 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
AstleDavid01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells7CivilianView
AstleGeorge01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
AstleGeorge01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
AstleHorace01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells9CivilianView
AstleLeah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells36CivilianView
AstleMaureen01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells2CivilianView
AstleRaymond01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells8CivilianView
AstleSusannah01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells62CivilianView
AstleThomas01/11/19404/142 Guildford Street, Lozells10CivilianView
CaineThomas H.09/04/194179 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
DarbisherA03/12/19404/185 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
DeemingElsie22/11/1940110, Guildford Street, lozellsCivilianView
McDonaldH09/04/194164 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
MoseleyGeorge22/11/19401/37 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
OvertonElijah19/11/19402/212 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilianView
WadhamsEmily Elizabeth01/11/1940Guildford Street, Lozells59CivilianView
WilkinsWilliam22/11/19402/40 Guildford Street, LozellsCivilian
How sad, never knew this history. Lived at 29/146 from 1963 - 1968 (until I was 11) and always wondered why there were garages / yard at the entrance where 144 & 142 would have been. Never questioned why and assumed houses opposite ours were also 'back of 146'.

How sad, never knew this history. Lived at 29/146 from 1963 - 1968 (until I was 11) and always wondered why there were garages / yard at the entrance where 144 & 142 would have been. Never questioned why and assumed houses opposite ours were also 'back of 146'.
yes dave its so very sad...my mom was living just a couple of mins away from the astles house she lived in paddington st and she was about 11 at the time the bombs hit...she told me the shop on the corner of guildford st and paddington st (about 6 houses away from moms) was hit and that a man was found just sitting in his chair dead but not a scratch on him...ive no doubt that there was a hit on that corner because photos taken after the war just show a bomb peck however i must try and find out if someone was actually killed or injured there during that raid..another memory mom had was of walking to school one day with a classmate who lived near wheeler st and he turned to mom and said..one day beryl i will marry you...the next day his house was hit and he and his family died....mom never forgot that lad

lyn

Last edited:
Back