• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guildford house

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..just been given an address of guildford house..lozells aston juxta and i would like to find out more about it...ive heard of guidford st and of course there is a lozells st..would anyone have any info on this address please..

thank you for any help given...

lyn:)

Last edited:
Lyn, don’t you mean Guildford House in the text, and could it have be on Gower Street close to Guild Street or the other way round.

There… done it… my first reply !!!

welcome to the forum adam...:) ive just edited my post..bit early in the morning when i posted that..:D..yes i hope someone can locate this guildford house for you..fingers crossed...oh what year was guildford house there...??

lyn

Last edited:
the years we are looking for guildford house is 1865/8

thanks to anyone who may be able to track this building down...

lyn

The problem is that I need a suname, to check the directorys, then it may be possible to find Guildford House were they trade the more info the more chance to fiind the place

horsencart...i am only helping brassman out but from the info i have a mrs ann bodhill lived at guildford house..1865.

The problem is that I need a suname, to check the directorys, then it may be possible to find Guildford House were they trade the more info the more chance to fiind the place

Thanks horsencart,
I have two copies of two administration documents that lists the last address as Guildford House Lozells Aston Birmingham for both William Bodill and Joseph Bodill father and son who both died in 1865 William Bodill was one of the messengers to the Birmingham District Court of Bankruptcy. Ann Bodill was also registered as living there. and later at
Gower Street Lozells but with no house number in the Post Office directory of 1868 the listing places her just before Guildford Street and the Congregational Schools first thereafter.
View attachment 70692

In the 1868 directory there is a
Bodhill William & Co tin plate worker, 35 & 36 Great Hampton Row in the 1870 directory he is listed as Bodill it is the same for the 1865 diirectory
in the 1855 directory there is a
Bodill Wm, messengeer to Court of Bankrupcy, 224 Hagley Rd,

in the 1868 directory 224 Hagley Rd the house was called Stonehurst

in the 1849 directory there is a
Bodil William Messenger to the court of bankrupcy 28 Broad St

Thanks horsencart,
I have two copies of two administration documents that lists the last address as Guildford House Lozells Aston Birmingham for both William Bodill and Joseph Bodill father and son who both died in 1865 William Bodill was one of the messengers to the Birmingham District Court of Bankruptcy. Ann Bodill was also registered as living there. and later at
Gower Street Lozells but with no house number in the Post Office directory of 1868 the listing places her just before Guildford Street and the Congregational Schools first thereafter.
View attachment 70692

Two nice lithographs of Guildford House in the 1860s.Viv.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382623518.047186.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382623518.047186.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 18
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382623542.024944.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalkHD1382623542.024944.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 18
I just found this 1851 census record for Guildford House, typically I was looking for something completely different.

Attachments

• 1851census-guildford-house-1.jpg
    1851census-guildford-house-1.jpg
    770.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 1851census-guildford-house-2.jpg
    1851census-guildford-house-2.jpg
    755.1 KB · Views: 8
thanks john very interesting...if memory serves me right i think there is a photo of guildford house in the distance on the furnace lane thread..

lyn

thanks john very interesting...if memory serves me right i think there is a photo of guildford house in the distance on the furnace lane thread..

lyn
That's right Lyn. Also, on the census pages adjacent to these, there were lots of records for a Furnace Meadows, probably another reference to the original furnace.

i would definately think its a reference to aston furnace john and to think it still lies intact under the ground..wish i could get at it :D

Well let's hope that they put the park in the right place so future generations have a chance. There are about 15 houses referred to as Furnace Meadows and they are on the records following the Wheeler Street entries, could be that there was little property between Wheeler Street and Guildford House in 1851.

john i was thinking that furnace meadows could make a good thread for investigation...i wonder if you could start a new thread for it please posting the relevant census page and date..no rush

lyn

Guildford House also appears on the 1841 census, looks as though it was a school then also. The record before it is Lozells Road and after is Wheeler Street.

Attachments

• guildford-house-1841census.jpg
    guildford-house-1841census.jpg
    731.3 KB · Views: 2
It was only when I was looking for Gladstone Terrace the other day that I realised the same aerial view would also show Guildford House.

Attachments

• guildford-house-aerial.jpg
    guildford-house-aerial.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Back