• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guide To Birmingham Wholesale & Retail Markets

loisand

master brummie
The Birmingham Markets 5 in all with a 6th one to be completed rank amongst the first in the country:

MARKET HALL... the Centenary of the opening was commemorated in February 1935.

WHOLESALE FISH MARKET...The wholesale fish trade was confined to the market at the corner of Bell Street, prior to its erection in 1869 the salesmen used to conduct their buisness in an uncovered market in Dale End.

PIG MARKET....This was situated in Montague Street close to the railway sidings.

WHOLESALE FRUIT AND VEGETABLE MARKET.....At one time this was held in the open opposite the Market Hall in Worcester Street and Spiceal Street and also in the vaults under the Market Hall. In 1883 the Smithfield Wholesale Fruit and Vegetable Market was built, in 1892 and 1903 it was extended.

CITY MEAT MARKET AND ABATTOIRS....... This was purchased by the Council in 1891 and was situated in Bradford Street.

ST. MARTIN'S MARKET.. opposite the Smithfield Fruit and Vegetable market in Jamaica Row, stood until the end of 1938 when it was closed to make way for the extension scheme. It was erected about 1851 to be used as a wholesale meat market and continued its purpose until 1897 when trade was transferred to the New City Meat Market.

:flower: :cat:

I find the various markets confusing having frequently changed over time. So I've tried to expand a little on post #1 and offer a simple summary of each with dates and locations. And I've marked the 19th century markets on the 1911 map below. Links to threads covering inividual markets are also given below.

Old Birmingham Markets in a nutshell

18th century

Street markets
Cattle sold in High Street, 1769 in Dale End, from 1776 in Deritend.
Pigs and sheep sold in New Street
Horses sold at Horsefair, Bristol Street
Corn sold at Corn Cheaping, Dale End and Carrs Lane
Mixed markets on Colmore Row

19th century

1. 1817 Smithfield Cattle Market opened on the former site of de Bermingham's moated Manor House for the sale of livestock and greengrocery.

1883 this site became the covered Smithfield Fruit & Vegetable market (wholesale) in the area bounded by Jamaica Row, Moat Row, Moat Lane and St Martin's Lane.
See thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...mithfield-fruit-veg-w-sale-market-1883.44380/

2. 1835 Market Hall (retail) opened in the area bounded by Phillips Street, Worcester Street, Bell Street and the Bull Ring/High Street. Demolished 1962.
See thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-market-hall.36220/

3. 1851 St Martin's Meat Market (wholesale) built on Jamaica Row opposite Smithfield Fruit & Vegetable market. Closed 1897.

4. 1869 Fish Market (wholesale) opened in the area at the junction of Bell Street and the Bull Ring/High Street. Extended 1883. Demolished 1958.
See thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/fish-market-wholesale-1869.47939/

5. 1897 St Martin's Meat Market moved to new premises (with an abattoir) in the area bounded by Bradford Street, Sherlock Street and Cheapside and re-named the City Meat Market
See thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/city-meat-market-wholesale-1897.45328/

20th century

6. 1970s Birmingham Wholesale Market - an integrated market complex built as each of the former markets became either inadequate or were demolished to make way for the 1970s Bull Ring Indoor Market and Shopping Centre (retail) development. It's location is on Pershore Street and offers meat, poultry, horticulture and fish under one roof. It has been re-located (?) to Witton.
(To be confirmed)
See thread here https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/birmingham-wholesale-market-1973.27596/

Viv.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
A list of Birmingham Corporation Markets in 1929-30, from the official handbook of the City of Birmingham for that period. I think that Viv has covered them all in #2. The Gosta Green Open Market has a photograph in the thread "Gosta Green" #21. Dave.

Attachments

• P1020944 (2).JPG
    P1020944 (2).JPG
    481.5 KB · Views: 34
HELP! I have had this lovely map of the City for some time, but have forgotton who produced or drew it, and the year it is supposed to represent....? Anyone put me out of my misery?

And another thing...on the map is marked St John's Market...??? ..cant find any other ref to it...anyone? see pics attached....

Attachments

• Brum Map 1.jpg
    Brum Map 1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 22
  • Brum Map 2.jpg
    Brum Map 2.jpg
    139.3 KB · Views: 24
Dennis.
Have not found the entire map, though I am sure I have seen it somewhere, but have what I think is part of it, and this part is labelled as at the Birmingham archives, by Ackerman. ~He also made one of Liverpool in a very similar style. The date on the bit I have is 1843, and I believe . from what is written about the Liverpool map. that the map is contemporary to that date , though cannot be certain

Birmingham Map supposed 1843 around curzon st station.jpg

Dennis.
Have not found the entire map, though I am sure I have seen it somewhere, but have what I think is part of it, and this part is labelled as at the Birmingham archives, by Ackerman. ~He also made one of Liverpool in a very similar style. The date on the bit I have is 1843, and I believe . from what is written about the Liverpool map. that the map is contemporary to that date , though cannot be certain

View attachment 155750

Oh YES.... Cheers mike....now I can ask the audience about the mysterious St Johns Market?

Never heard of it myself, and it does not come up in the newspaper archives (only the liverpool one)

Never heard of it myself, and it does not come up in the newspaper archives (only the liverpool one)
Same here...I will ignore it...! Thanks again....and keep this amazing Historical Encyclopaedia going for posterity....NOTHING else comes close...Regards.

I'm adding the Hay Market Ann Street to this thread. The location was depicted in the Samuel Rostill Lines drawing below.

Screenshot_20230824_193016_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back