• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guidance to householders during the blitz

ChrisM

Super Moderator
Staff member
From a 98-year-old gentleman with whom I am in contact I have acquired a copy of several guidance leaflets issued to householders during the blitz. They were delivered to a house in Sunnybank Road, Quinton in 1939-41. The one shown here, entitled "After The Raid", demonstrates a surprising level of official support available to those affected (and even a note on the allowance provided to widows of those men who have lost their lives as a result of Civil Defence activities - ARP, police, Home Guard, AFS/NFS etc). How it worked in practice one can only guess at. But let's hope it was a bit of comfort for those in the middle of a nightmare.

There are a couple of others which I have included within my website. Click on the link if you want to read them.
- What to Do about Gas
- Poison Gas and Food in your Home

Chris

Attachments

• After-the-Raid1.jpg
    After-the-Raid1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 17
  • After-the-Raid2w1000.jpg
    After-the-Raid2w1000.jpg
    357.5 KB · Views: 18
  • After-the-Raid4 and 5.jpg
    After-the-Raid4 and 5.jpg
    247.3 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Chris they make interesting reading, the ones on your site too!
Will have to top up the dongle and hang out of the window at mom and dads to show them!
Sue

I have one of these booklets it is The Protection of your homes against air raids.It is dated 1939.

Any chance of scanning it and putting it up in this thread, 205mal? It could well be of interest to members.

Chris

Back