• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guest st hockley

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi all if anyone has pics of guest street hockley i would love to see them...my gt grandparents lived here in 1911

many thanks folks

lyn

Here's one Lyn. Junction of Bridge Street and Guest Street in 1964. Boys will be boys eh - look at the lad up the lampost! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1362173552.812278.jpg

thanks viv ive got that one and i had forgotton ive got it lol so thanks for the reminder.. and the lad up the lampost is my neighbour who lived in farm st...just looked at my trusty map and realised that running accross guest st is hockley hill..

lyn

Hi
thanks viv ive got that one and i had forgotton ive got it lol so thanks for the reminder.. and the lad up the lampost is my neighbour who lived in farm st...just looked at my trusty map and realised that running accross guest st is hockley hill..

lyn
Hi there, my mom used to live at 29 guest St, Susan Murray, I believe it was opposite the church. my mom lived there 1955-1964/65

We used to live at number 4 Guest street early 60s Smith family opposite the beards? Who,s dad drove a wagon with sheepskins on it and next door to them the Dolphins who,s mom was an machinist down the road on our side was a lady who kept chickens in her house there was the smedleys on the end by the entry and also Mary and jack anyone remember?

We used to live at number 4 Guest street early 60s Smith family opposite the beards? Who,s dad drove a wagon with sheepskins on it and next door to them the Dolphins who,s mom was an machinist down the road on our side was a lady who kept chickens in her house there was the smedleys on the end by the entry and also Mary and jack anyone remember?
My mom remembers the smedleys, next to them was Mr and Mrs ward, then my moms house, then another Murray family next door

Was mr and Mrs ward Mary and jack? Does she remember our family? Mom Hilda dad John children Jeanette, Peter, Dorothy and Hilda smith?

My mom doesn't remember your family, she remembers twin girls, Marlene and Linda Jenkins with their mom Martha. My moms siblings were Sandra, Carol, georgina and Ralph

I think the church was the other end to us we were near the betting shop and pub on the corner opposite blooms furniture yard.

That's interesting Lyn. So a sizeable section of New John Street was re-routed near the Hockley Circus end. Viv.

yes thats correct viv...i am down that way often and its very hard to work out with the naked eye just how many streets and roads were re routed...great to have that map tool at our disposal..it helps me a lot and considering the length of it its so nice to see that my beloved villa st which started at bsw and finished at wills st has not changed its course one little bit:)

lyn

hi all if anyone has pics of guest street hockley i would love to see them...my gt grandparents lived here in 1911

many thanks folks

lyn
Hi.... I LIVED AT NUMBER 17. NOT FOR TOO LONG THOUGH. THE. HOUSE WAS OPPOSITE A COAL YARD... THE WORRAL FAMILY LIVED ON THE CORNER AND I REMEMBER A FAMILY CALLED NOLAN..

Back