• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Guest, Keen & Nettlefolds Smethwick - Works Fire Brigade WW2.

Paul Burns

proper brummie kid
Hi.
Going through my family history, I found a photo of my Father and other family members of the GKN Fire Brigade taken after the war had finished or may be during the war. The photo was taken at the front steps to the building and shows 4 family members in uniform with their fire chief also in uniform with my father standing behind him on the next step up.

Stories I remember as a child was that they finished their day job to go on fire watch and to protect the factory from any possible fire damage caused by any bombing.

I would like to find out the details about them and any other names of the team as there 5 other members I don't know who they are. Also which factory were they working at - could it be Cranford Street or Heath Street ?

The photo is a bit damaged but could be scanned to show them and help in any details as to where the photo was taken and team members if this would help.

Paul Burns

Hi.
Going through my family history, I found a photo of my Father and other family members of the GKN Fire Brigade taken after the war had finished or may be during the war. The photo was taken at the front steps to the building and shows 4 family members in uniform with their fire chief also in uniform with my father standing behind him on the next step up.

Stories I remember as a child was that they finished their day job to go on fire watch and to protect the factory from any possible fire damage caused by any bombing.

I would like to find out the details about them and any other names of the team as there 5 other members I don't know who they are. Also which factory were they working at - could it be Cranford Street or Heath Street ?

The photo is a bit damaged but could be scanned to show them and help in any details as to where the photo was taken and team members if this would help.

Paul Burns
There is a group photo uploaded a long time ago on the website below.
Unfortunately the photo is not dated but it does say it is the GKN Fire Dept at Heath Street and appears to be taken in front of a large doorway. Perhaps you can compare the background with your photo ... why not upload your photo .... :)
GKNHeathStreet.jpg

Hi.

Paul Burns

Unfortunately the photo is not dated but it does say it is the GKN Fire Dept at Heath Street and appears to be taken in front of a large doorway. Perhaps you can compare the background with your photo ... why not upload your photo .... :)
View attachment 153647

Hi.

Here is the photo and you can see it was taken in the same place. I have no date when it was taken but written on the back is G.K.N Fire Brigade . My father with 4 brothers, plus another member of the family.
IMG_20210301_0003.jpg

View attachment 153647
Hi. I have uploaded the photo and you can see it's in the same doorway so it must be Heath Street .

Many thanks.
Paul Burns.

Back