• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guards training battalion where are they now

aggie2347

master brummie
Training at Pirbright with the Coldstream Guards 1957 By best mate was Barry Rowlands from Winson Green we served together for 3 years and got into many scrapes last seen in 1959 I wonder if he is still around? aggieweston

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
hi aggie
check the hotels on hagley road edgbaston one old smithy and the ajoing hotel the grove are combined
and the rowland family live at the back of the hotels on city road its a big house
and before then he was a steward at the kings norton social club up at cotteridge and before that the staggs head summer lane before buying the hotel called the grove and as years rolled by he bought the next door which was called old smithy
in the seventys the irish chap whom ran old smithy went through a bad financial times bryan bought him out
but there was talk within the circle of friends whom he took over from the kings norton club which is oppersite the cotteridge working man club in cotteridge
and with the family of his own his daughters are grown up with there own family and they was taking over and he was contemplating going to the isle of white for his retirement so look up 192 as suggested and ring those numbers for possible contact i am sure the family still live in the house facing city rd edgbaston ; best of luck Astonian;;

Cheers Astonian I will give it a go the 192 looks promising there is a Barry Rowlands living at 5 Holman close Willenhall but the telephone No given has been disconnected. So it looks like snale mail. Thanks jennyann and Astonian for your help.

Back