• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Guards Depot Caterham 1948

Bernard67Arnold

master brummie
I recently came across my old Squard photograph from 1948, and after a
number of attempts I might be luckly, cheers Bernard

To Keep you company Bernard just before passing out parade 1955 Blackdown, I posted before about 3 years ago they are missing now.:(
4th from Right Middle Row

View attachment 38561

hi bernard
great squad photo, see some of the lads have had a go at slashing their KD Cap peaks cost use 3/6 in my day if caught, was the training company 13 Coy in your day? I still believe Pirbright was a nastier place, I don't know what period basic was in your day ours was 28 weeks with no leave till your 12 th week inspection, that battle dress looks uncomfortable.
regards
paul

Hi Paul, our pay in those days 28bob a week, 10 shillings went as a allowence to my Mom,to keep the home fires burning, 10s in the NAFFI on
blanco, bluebell, Kwiwi it didnt leave much for wine women and song!!After
the unhappy childhood I had, I loved it. At the Depot one or two lads got
homesick, some even cried for Mum, bit like Prince Edward. I often think if
the lads nowadays had to do two years Army service it would do them the
world of good. cheers nulli secundus Bernard

hi bernard
Yes I know what you mean, my pay was £1,17.6p, £1.0.0 went compulsory to your POSBI and I lived on 17/6, blanco, Kiwi, fags, razor blades, clay white, brasso, NAAFI, I cryed buckets when the NAAFI horlicks went up to 5d, but one consolation, when we had block leave and you cashed your POSBI I went home once with £60, I counted it all the way back to Brum, I had never seen a £10.note in my life. Just as a matter of info my son William is as we speak at Pirbright he is a PTI perminent staff for the Para Wing P Coy pre training and he is living in the old Guards Depot 'D' Lines, right next to the old confidence course behind the old AADW.I was there in 63/64, funny how things come around again in life ! Nulli Secundus bernard.
Regards
Paul

hi bernard
I concur with your sentiments I know that some of you old Guardsmen bemoaned the passing of the Lee Enfield and from a drill point of view I agree somewhat, but all old soldiers love the weapon they trained and used on campaign service and SLR 6.75 was the best. I know it is politically incorrect but the introduction of females into the brigade for ceremonial duty's especially in the band was a retrograde step in my opinion, and into the 2 regiments of mounted troops is sometimes hilarious. I do not wish to offend or upset any ladies or call into disrepute the dedication or bravery of the female soldier in any way, only from an assetic presentation whilst upon ceremonial parade, this also includes men in the brigade under 5' 6".
regards
paul

hi bernard
should read 7.62mm SLR not as printed my old CSM Joe Grindley must spinning in his box.
regards
paul

hi bernard
should read 7.62mm SLR not as printed my old CSM Joe Grindley must spinning in his box.
regards
paul

Hi Paul, I was at Caterham 1953. Scots Guards of course, the Premier Regiment. One of my memories, was on Bank of England Picket, marching from Wellington Barracks to the Bank of England, when the Piper broke out into 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' as we passed the American Embassy. It hit the National newspapers the following morning. I think this was the first time anyone had attempted anything other than the norm. What a great success. We now have such music as the 'Highland Cathedral' Magnificent.
Bye the way, looking at another log you are contributing to. Was your dad Jim, from Kenyon Street, if so I worked with him. George.

hi george
sounds just like the jocks, I used to love the bank Picket that extra 10/- in my day was a god send. No my dear old dad was Harry Kitchener Stacey, We never lived in Kenyon Street he was a copper and when retired worked at Cannings and then as site clerk foe Wates, laings.
regards
paul

I coy !st Batt Coldstream Guards at Chelsea Barracks 1959 on their return from Germany and taking up Public Duties.

image.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Paul, Looking at your post about the SLR l was at Chelsea 1959 on Public Duties when we changed to the Belgium FN see pic's and the shiny first carried out the last troop with the 303 see pictures with Buckingham Palace guard parading with both. I have also attached pictures of yours truly in Germany and my Squad Photo 1956 L/St Storey's Squad RIP. The RSM nicknamed the Black Mamber in one of the photos put me under close arrest for missing a fire drill and I received 2 weeks field punishment. I found the colour picture of me on stag at St Jame's Palace on the net l am the tall one on the right. Happy Days aggie

Attachments

• Recruit Training 1957.jpg
    Recruit Training 1957.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 17
  • ken on duty st james palace 1959.jpg
    ken on duty st james palace 1959.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 16
  • Troop 1959 RSM Black Mamber.jpg
    Troop 1959 RSM Black Mamber.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 14
  • Old and new rifles Buckingham Palace Guard.jpg
    Old and new rifles Buckingham Palace Guard.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 11
  • chelsea 1959.jpg
    chelsea 1959.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 9mile  in 1hr 25 Germany.bmp.jpg
    9mile in 1hr 25 Germany.bmp.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 14
Great, pics, Aggie, did you know that both Caterham, and the 'D', lines, Pirbright and Chelsea, are all gone now, ever come across "Black Alec", "Don Willis", "Jesse" James", you must have met "Tibby Britain",. Paul

Hi Paul, My service was between 1956 and 1959 RSM Britton had left before i got to the depot and the others you mentioned although i have heard of them i can't recall serving with them but i maybe wrong. I served in 1coy Ist battalion and was discharged at lydd and transferred to the reserve and the following week joined the Birmingham Fire and ambulance Service and served for 30 years don't time fly it only seems like yesterday. All the best aggie

Back