• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Gt hampton street

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hope you spot this mike..if so would you be so kind as to post me a map showing 16 court gt hampton st please...ive found my gt grans marriage cert on ancestry and this is the address given on it...didnt realise that there were courts in gt hampton st...

many thanks mike

lyn

Lyn
Houses in Court 16 are shown above in red on the c1889 map. By the time of the smaller scale c1913 map the row of houses on the south side of the court had gone, together with all the houses in court 15 (except for those backing on to the street houses), which was next door & north of court 16. In case of doubt the street leading off to the right is Harford St

map_c_1889_showing_ct_16.jpg

thank you mike ive got me bearings..the court was opposite the church inn pub which is still there...and now i know that there were courts in gt hampton st...next time i am down that way i must have a look to see what building is now standing on what was court 16..

thank you also michael for the info on moses barber how interesting..was he a rellie of yours??...my rellies were married at st pauls so would this be the one in the jewellery quarter ??

cheers

lyn

Last edited:
I recall reading somewhere that according to local folklore Moses Barber haunts the locality around St Pauls? Hopefully someone will be able to tell us the story.

Macca

Thanks for reply lyn no moses wasn,t a relative, when I worked for the council not too long ago, we would park up for five minuets so those who smoked could do so, by moses grave with the greeting morning moses, we wondered how a policeman so young could have died, so I looked into it, his grave is the same side has the rope walk pub st pauls sq

Thanks for reply lyn no moses wasn,t a relative, when I worked for the council not too long ago, we would park up for five minuets so those who smoked could do so, by moses grave with the greeting morning moses, we wondered how a policeman so young could have died, so I looked into it, his grave is the same side has the rope walk pub st pauls sq

michael i love your story lol...i see moses died of consumption which was rife in those days and really it was not stamped out until the 1950s at a guess..a form of TB which took 3 of my 4 grandparents before the ages of 50 so i did not get to meet them..

lyn

Last edited:
There were mass x-rays taken at schools and colleges for TB down to the early 1960s. My class and several other classes had a trip to Portsmouth, to be checked as one of our teaches (my form master) went down with TB. That would have been 1955 I think. I know the mass x rays went on later though as at Bristol someone I knew who had to wear a radiation badge for what he was doing, forgot to take it off when he wwent for his x-ray. It caused a great commotion ,as, at that time, the maximum radiation allowed exposure at work for 6 months was about one tenth that given in an x-ray.
That said it is coming back in patches nowadays, and often in a less treatable form , as it is immune to many of the drugs previously used for treatment .

There were mass x-rays taken at schools and colleges for TB down to the early 1960s. My class and several other classes had a trip to Portsmouth, to be checked as one of our teaches (my form master) went down with TB. That would have been 1955 I think. I know the mass x rays went on later though as at Bristol someone I knew who had to wear a radiation badge for what he was doing, forgot to take it off when he wwent for his x-ray. It caused a great commotion ,as, at that time, the maximum radiation allowed exposure at work for 6 months was about one tenth that given in an x-ray.
That said it is coming back in patches nowadays, and often in a less treatable form , as it is immune to many of the drugs previously used for treatment .

thanks mike..:encouragement:

Back