• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

gt hampton row

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
here a pic of gt hampton row...newtown taken in about 1900. look how clean and tidy it looks...

wales

Wales & wendy, as you may know many years ago people were poor but almost everyone swept outside their houses. Litter was not dropped in the street and although dilapidated and looking their age, buildings and areas were clean and tidy. Vast numbers of people no longer care, they just drop litter or dump rubbish willy nilly. You must remember chalking the hop-scotch squares on the footpath. That was all you would see in the way of graffiti. Now councils allocate a wall for graffiti and will give a child an A.S.B.O. for playing hop-scotch.

well said stitch. yes i well remember chalking out the hop scotch lines and skipping in the street....must stop now as i could go on forever..lol

wales

I had another thought about rubbish. If you think about it we would save a lot of so called rubbish like paper bags plastic containers washing up bottles we used for many things now these are all thrown away. It's difficult to draw hopscotch on tarmac I think we had the best of times as children.

again i agree with you wendy and will look forward to maybe chatting about the old days with you on saturday.....not long to go now...

lyn

Back