• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Gt Grandad lived bk of 408 Coventry Road in 1901

Mike...no you haven't confused me more, your explanation is wonderful ...I'm now unconfused (which is a rare occurance !!) Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out, it is most appreciated..

Brian....You found the book !!! :) Thanks so much for your time also..again, most appreciated..

fatfingers...according to the book I have, "all Co-op shops on the Coventry Road were designated Branch 2 wherever they were and however temporary."
I looked up number 311 in the 1911 and it was next to The Old Gate,..... maybe that's the one you are thinking of ??

No the one i was thinking of was next to the Tile Cottage, opposite the top of Greenway St, in the early 1950s. It had iirc one of those vaccum tube set ups where your money went up a pipe in a capsule, and your change came back with your reciept. The Old Gate was more or less opposite Green Lane.

Was just curious about whether Key Hill Brians picture was of the same branch thats all.

According to the text in the Co-op history - 1st pic is the shop at 311 that they took over, 2nd pic is the new build on the same site of the whole Co-op block - presumably after demolishing the previous buildings on site.
Brian

Thank you all so much for your help.. :) ...At least now I know 408 wasnt where I had originally thought, (by Wordsworth Road) and I have a clearer picture in my mind as to where it was. I will live in hope of one day finding a photo of that stretch of road around the time that my rellies lived there..
Thanks again :)

Bernie, no worries about the post ....but could you clear up a little mystery for me please...I went back to the link that you gave me for post 236 ... the photo of the shops but it has disappeared and has been replaced with a different photo...any ideas where the photo has gone please ???

Hi Lindyloo here's a link to a pic of the row of shops that replaced the Co op late 60s early 70s can't get the pic to load but it's post 236 maybe someone will be able to tell you which shop was no408
https://smallheath.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=newpics&action=display&thread=2365&page=16
Bernie
[h=2]Oops, there was an error![/h]
The thread you are trying to access could not be found.

Read more: https://smallheath.proboards.com/thread/2365?page=16#ixzz3fFCc8k4L

Hi bhatti, Sorry for the delay in replying, Yes, Victoria Park is Small Heath Park as far as I know.

Back