• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing up

K

Kandor

When it came to the school sports day I was a complete failure.
For starters I was a midget, spindly legged with bright red hair, I was also built like an undernourished Stick insect
When I started moving I looked like a runaway match.
I was useless at the high jump (well ok, if the world rcord had been less than 1ft 3ins, I may have stood a chance)
The wheelbarrow race I COULD have won if I hadn't had the habit of collapsing every 3 yards.
The only thing I stood a chance in was the Sack race as my shorts were like two Khaki bags sewn together so I guess I had unfair training on the rest of the kids.
And it was like that day in, day out, ridicule, scorn and wanting...I really could have done without it.
Yep, it was all pretty dire, for my early years read failure, failure, failure, for my middle years...read sadness and tears..
I knew even back then I had to choose laughter or simply go under.
Looking back, my life really started in 1974.
I tell everyone I'm 30 years old and in a way I am, Nechells formed me, it made me what I am today but on the flipside, Nechells also nearly destroyed me too.
There were times I left bodyprints in the brickwork because my back was pressed so hard to the wall, I had literally nowhere to go.
People think they know me, but they dont, not my Wife, not my children, not my friends..
They've no real idea what I've been through or the things I've done and seen....oh sure, they can read my word, even hear my voice, but they dont really know.
Someone said here that write with candour.
What they dont realise is, that this is my therapy, it sometimes opens doors that have long been locked and talking about them sometimes eases my pain.
Yes, Nechells made me what I am....and sometimes.....sometimes, if I'm not careful, it rises to the surface. it's not such a good thing.

There are times, I feel I lose myself.
I dont know who I am.
I get caught up in the struggle and the strain.
With my back against a stonewall.
My finger in the Dam,
I'm losing strength and going down again,
When I take a look around me,
My eyes can't find the sun.
There is only pain as far as I can see.
Then my heart thinks of my Rosalyn
And the love she gives to me.
And I can feel my spirit soaring free.....

History

BUT - you came through it Kandor, and I'm sure your family love you for what you are, and you are what you are because of your early years. Even though the memories have to be tucked away in a drawer, maybe they are aired less as the years go by, it's no bad thing to reflect occasionally. You know how far you've come from that little lad with red hair trying to win a race.

Di

Back