• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

You are absolutely right Lyn.
You have in your post pointed out a couple of descriptions tat I failed to mention.
I do remember how most of the so called " back to back " residents made their utmost efforts to keep their dwelling very much " spic and span " and yes. I recall that " cosy " feeling that they achieved as well.
I also remember that part that you mention whereby many of the older residents of the back to backs did not want to leave the home that they had lived in and brought up their families over the many years.
Good people Lyn.

You are absolutely right Lyn.
You have in your post pointed out a couple of descriptions tat I failed to mention.
I do remember how most of the so called " back to back " residents made their utmost efforts to keep their dwelling very much " spic and span " and yes. I recall that " cosy " feeling that they achieved as well.
I also remember that part that you mention whereby many of the older residents of the back to backs did not want to leave the home that they had lived in and brought up their families over the many years.
Good people Lyn.

i agree with you roy..very good people who if you had nowt would happily give you half of their nowt:Dsalt of the earth back in the day

lyn

View attachment 120109
Our evenings were spent similar to this.

All very posed, of course, but some of it rings true. The boy's short trousers (no doubt with a button fly), his short back and sides haircut and his 'unisex' sandals. Also, both adults are smoking and Mum's dress looks very fifties. The Bakelite TV is spot on, but where is the indoor aerial that Dad had to constantly re-position to get any sort of picture? And what is behind those locked cupboard doors? Is it the gas meter and electricity meter, which were always inside a property in those days so that they were handy for putting the money in. That also meant that the meter readers had to trample through the house. I know we used to watch some really bad programmes in those days but this family seems to be transfixed by some sort of puppet programme. I'm hovering between Supercar and Fireball XL5, although I think both of those were '60s vintage. Dad looks a bit like Frank Ifield and would be more productive tidying up those trailing cables (very few power points in the house in those days - and all round pin) or practising his yodelling.

Not many people know this, it`s a young Maggie Thatcher & she`s using the back of that child's` head as an ash tray. I wonder what that cable is running down from the bookshelf?

I'm not sure if you're joking about Maggie Thatcher Smudger ;-D but it does look like her!

I'm not sure if you're joking about Maggie Thatcher Smudger ;-D but it does look like her!
Yes it is Maggie, & that chap is a young Gordon brown. They got divorced shortly after this & went their separate ways, Maggie went right & Gordon went left. If only they had stayed together politics today would have been so different. :-}

Who was that on the phone darling, wife asks hubby. Oh just some idiot who thinks we live by the sea, he wanted to know if the coast was clear.

Not many people know this, it`s a young Maggie Thatcher & she`s using the back of that child's` head as an ash tray. I wonder what that cable is running down from the bookshelf?
Don't think it's cable Smudge, it's a cobweb. Maggie spends all day watching the telly instead of doing the dusting.

Yes it is Maggie, & that chap is a young Gordon brown. They got divorced shortly after this & went their separate ways, Maggie went right & Gordon went left. If only they had stayed together politics today would have been so different. :-}

Who was that on the phone darling, wife asks hubby. Oh just some idiot who thinks we live by the sea, he wanted to know if the coast was clear.

Hi Smudger,

Delighted to read that you are still alive, kicking, and having fun. I think what she was really whispering was "Tonight dear, I am going to give you super sex", and his reply was "That's nice dear, but I think I will have the soup" (Better get back on track, before the Moderators step in).

Eddie

Taking note of the recent thunder and lightening storms that have swept across our area.
Caused me to wonder how the dog and cat pets of many had coped.
The storms seemed to have demonstrated an inordinate amount of continuous thunder claps and lightening flashes.
I think that we all know that some pets can become very disturbed during these storm periods.
Takes my thoughts back to another set of problems, for our pets then, that came about during WW2.
Around 1940-1941, the German bombing air raids became regular occurrences in and around Brum.
You can imagine, these air raids very often involved high noise levels, coming from various factions,the exploding bombs, the exploding anti air craft shells and the anti air craft guns themselves as they discharged the shells at ground level.
Throw in the clatter on roofs from the shell shrapnel and it all added up to a fair oldcacophony of sound disturbance.
This could sometimes happen over a period of hours through the night and sometimes it might happen over a period of consecutive nights.
At this time the family had a wonderful pet dog, a Welsh collie that we called “ Wally “and poor old Wally had to ( as many other families pets had to do also ) try and understand what all this noisy commotion was all about.
Following the sound of the `” Air raid sirens “ the family grabbed the prepared essentials and made their way to the “ Anderson “
Air raid shelter, situated towards the bottom of the back garden, with” Wally “ in tow.
The “ party “ always consisted of three adaults, three children and “ Wally “.
Trying to recall,I believe that Wally did have his initial problems during the first number of air raids and the accompanying noises that went with them, but I do know that eventually he came to sccept them reasonably well.
I still think to this day that the main factors for this came from the over riding sense that he drew from knowing that he was with the people that loved him and in which he could trust.
He went on to live to a ripe age and was able to bark his war stories long after the war finished.
For some of the present day dog and cat owners, who find their loving pets disturbed during storms or fireworks nights, maybe a snuggle and an extra cuddle or two at the opening period of these noisy periods could make a difference.

I think that sounds like the kind of childhood most of us enjoyed back in the 50s and early 60s I know i did, happy happy days. Still got some scars to prove it.

If yow was born in brum, in the 30,s or 40,s, that is what 99% of yow kids, 40's 50's era, did, no matter what area yow come from. I still have these magical memories, relayed them to my boys, and now my grandchildren who are born a world away to the hardship and impoverishment, we knew, but will perhaps not experience the friendship, beauty, and wonderment we did. Paul Stacey

I was lucky enough to grow up (in the 50's) adjacent to a park. One of the many things we did was to spend hours looking for 4 leaf clovers. I thought this was just something girls did but this week my brother came to stay and was talking to one of his old school friends about another friend they shared - I was very surprised to hear him say 'Do you remember that Brian had more 4 leaf clovers in his garden than anywhere else!'.

If yow was born in brum, in the 30,s or 40,s, that is what 99% of yow kids, 40's 50's era, did, no matter what area yow come from. I still have these magical memories, relayed them to my boys, and now my grandchildren who are born a world away to the hardship and impoverishment, we knew, but will perhaps not experience the friendship, beauty, and wonderment we did. Paul Stacey

well said paul...totally agree with you

lyn

I lived in Witton Street, opposite Garrison Lane Park, until I was 16. I didn't appreciate how lucky we were to have that green space just over the road. From photos I see that the park is now a bit posher!

maria
Did you know the Earp or the Bakewell family Maria , they lived at 56 on witton st

Back