• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Reminds me of the time my friend Arthur and I decided we wanted a swimming pool at the bottom of our garden, took us all day to dig this enormous hole but unfortunately my Mother spotted us up to mischief and made us fill it in. We were forever digging tunnels, it's a wonder we weren't buried alive, neither of us became miners though :)

Nickee101. True enough that, I wonder what it was with the kids digging holes. The deeper the better and as you say didn't bother too much about a cave-in neither.

Maybe you were trying to get to Australia.....my dad always said if you did a hole deep enough you would end up down under...and guess what l believed him....Brenda

Re: Birmingham History

" HEY, HANG ON A BIT. THIS LOOKS PRETTY GOOD ".
Period : 1946.
One afternoon, as a group of young blokes, we were on a visit down Perry Barr, just having a general 'nose around '.
Having exhausted our interest in walking up and down the Birchfield Road we decided to make our way home. Our route back required us to pass-by the Alexander Stadium . Approaching the Stadium we began to pick up the loud sounds of unsilenced motor bikes being run.
We discovered as we came to the Stadium that some sort of building work was being carried out and that the perimeter fencing around the Stadium was missing in parts and that these sounds were coming from somewhere within.
Naturally we wandered in to find out what was going on .
What we saw was a crushed cinder racing track and leather clad helmeted men practicing and racing on these unusual motor bikes.
Looked pretty exciting to us.
We stayed on until it was obvious that all the practice racing had finished. We found someone to ask the questions. What was it all about and when would be the next racing session. We were informed that the men that had been racing would be forming the Birmingham Speedway team and that the Stadium would be opening for official Speedway racing within a few weeks.
The noise of those roaring bikes, the smell of the burnt high octane fuel, the clouds of cinder dust from the ' broadsiding ' and the exciting races was something truly gripping.
That was it for us. We lads from then on never missed that Saturday Speedway night event down there at Perry Barr.
Like most Motor Racing events the Speedway meetings were ideal, and socially safe, to take all the family without any worry.
Photo : Speedway, of the period, at the Alexander Stadium.image.jpg

Roy,

Visited Perry Barr track a couple of times. Never rated it, found it boring. Four men on motorbikes chasing each other for about two minutes. Then it was repeated about twenty times over, the same evening, with the same routine.

Stood on a corner, got covered in cinders. That was enough. Although I agree, it was safe for the spectators, and yes, it was a family sport. Still is in East Anglia.

I remember Graham Warren (an Australian). Bit of a star. Also the scarf everyone wore. Was it red and yellow?...... or something like that.

Eddie

Eddie,

That's the difference, my mates wanted me to go to the speedway, but my mother would never let me go. The thought of the excitement of it all made me want to go all the more, but I never did get to go. Having seen it several times on TV now I have come to the same conclusions as you - BORING. But it's the thought of the forbidden that makes it so intriguing.

Maurice

Speedway was never boring. Its like everything else, when you are actually there its the atmosphere and smell and noise of the machines that are exciting. We went every other Saturday night standing at the barrier until the bikes were so close us kids had to duck as sometimes you would get grit in your eyes. My mom actually won supporter of the year in the 50s.

POSITIVE THINKING. ( Always worth a try ).
Another part on the " Growing Up " curve.
Recognise any of these situations ?
THE COMPETITION " Blazes, I'm so disappointed. I only came second in the finish ". ( Hand on a bit, doesn't that mean that apart from one other, you were better than all the rest ).
THE COMING EVENT " We've got this party coming up that we've got to go to. I know that I'll not be knowing many people there. I really would rather not go " ( Steady on, you know that most times any event that you're not looking forward to generally turns out to be supprisingly enjoyable. It's called " low expectations " ).
FEELING A BIT POORLY " I've got this runny nose, sore throat and a bender of an headache, I really don't feel like doing anything ( Think on a bit. You know that you will get better, it's called the Flu. When you've recovered just remember how fortunate you are when you are enjoying your normal good health ).
JOBS TO BE DONE " I've got so much to do and I don't know where to start ". ( First move. Try and Identify the priority job and start with that, Worst thing is indecision. Just get going and appreciate the positive ).
THE HOLIDAY BROCHURES Here's a cracker that can drive you up the wall. Think you've got it clear in your mind what you're looking for ? Wait till you start into your armful of brochures. It's here again that we can be led into an ocean of indecisions, Spoilled for choice. ( As soon as this exercise becomes complicated it's time to stop. Make your one choice, go and book it and just enjoy your chosen holiday ).
HOW AM I LOOKING THESE DAYS " I've got grey hairs starting to show and I think I'm getting a bit thin on top ".
( Worry not, maturity has it's own positive journey to be explored ).
I really believe that an overall good feeling comes from pushing the negatives away and welcoming any positives that you can lay your mind to.

THE GROCERY DELIVERY BOYS.
( Around 1945+)
To be seen cycling round the district, riding their ' adapted ' bikes with the front carrier basket loaded with groceries to be delivered to the customers.
They always appeared to be cheerful types of lads. We had two of the lads in our group who took up ' Grocery Delivery ' after leaving school. Both had that easy going,cheerful attitude to things and both eventually went on to become Shop Maagers. I recall that one of them worked for one of the local ' Wrensons ' shops.
The thing was, come rain or shine, these delivery lads always appeared to have this cheerful attitude as they rode the streets and delivered their goods to the customers front doors.
Photo : The grocery boys transporter.image.jpg

I did that for Wrenson,s on the Bristol Road Northfield, could be the same bike. £1. 10.00. a day for Saturday. Rode miles around Northfield and surrounds I did. Paul

My during the 1950s mum won a goose, complete with feathers in a Christmas raffle, delivered by a kid on a bike, body in the basket, head hanging one side legs the other.
Great fun plucking it hung on a door, with the head draging on the floor.
How she ever got it in the oven I don't know.
I had forgotten the event until I read your story.

THE LITTLE LIFE SAVER.
All afternoon the kids had been roaming around the park, endlessly chasing one another, climbed a few trees, played on the swings and roundabouts and had little paddle in the pool.
Now it was time to go home.
Little legs are tired now and there is still a fair bit of walking to be done yet to reach home.
Now they realise that the most important thing for them is to try and get a drink because they now feel so dry and thirsty.
Here was the exit gate from the park and standing just inside was the loveliest sight that they could possibly ask to see.
The little ' drinking fountain '.
Photo : Oh boy, I needed that.image.jpg

Yes Paul, the ' saviour ' that I call to mind was the one situated just inside " Banners Gate ", Sutton Park.
If I recall it right, it too had a Brass delivery ' ball ' spilling trickles of drinking water into a Brass drainer bowl, all mounted on a Cast Iron stand.
Put new life into us that did.

There was one in the city somewhere , and it had an iron cup on a chain, not sure where, but Colmore Row, near the Cathedral comes to mind and when hot and sunny kid's would all stand in line to drink.Paul

The ones in Lightwoods Park had cups but I wasn't too keen on sharing, Nan was always talking about germs!
Was Polio carried in water? Maybe that's why she was wary.
rosie.

How very true Rosie, Nan was right, I lost a friend and had one in irons, during the polio epidemic in the 50's. During this time everyone worried about swimming and drinking from streams which we did as kids. Paul

Thank you Paul, she was always telling us to be careful of something or other!
She didn't like us playing near the gutter as one of her friends had damaged legs when a cart went by! Only our milkman had still got a horsedrawn cart at this time though!! She did live to 94 so it was worth being careful!!
rosie.

image.jpgThe kids having another bit of fun.
A small number of the youngsters are out on the local high street, wandering along looking at any goodies that might be on view in the shop windows.
At one stage one of the group lingering at the back calls out to his or her mates to catch their attention. They turn to look.
What they see is their friend ' suspended ' at some distance from the ground. Always good for a bit of a laugh was this one.
If you've not seen this done yourself the optical illusion was achieved by a person standing just inside a shop entrance and showing only half of his or her body beyond the edge of the entrance. Providing the shop had a reasonable sized front window anyone looking back from a short distance away would actually see half of the person and the reflection in the shop window would appear to make up a full bodied person. All the person in the shop doorway had to do was raise one leg and one arm out towards the pavement and there you had it. Looked like the person performing was fully suspended.
I wonder if the kids still have a bit of fun with this one these days.
Photo : Looked a bit like this.

View attachment 98138The kids having another bit of fun.
A small number of the youngsters are out on the local high street, wandering along looking at any goodies that might be on view in the shop windows.
At one stage one of the group lingering at the back calls out to his or her mates to catch their attention. They turn to look.
What they see is their friend ' suspended ' at some distance from the ground. Always good for a bit of a laugh was this one.
If you've not seen this done yourself the optical illusion was achieved by a person standing just inside a shop entrance and showing only half of his or her body beyond the edge of the entrance. Providing the shop had a reasonable sized front window anyone looking back from a short distance away would actually see half of the person and the reflection in the shop window would appear to make up a full bodied person. All the person in the shop doorway had to do was raise one leg and one arm out towards the pavement and there you had it. Looked like the person performing was fully suspended.
I wonder if the kids still have a bit of fun with this one these days.
Photo : Looked a bit like this.
Made famous of course by Harry Worth. Dave

image.jpgHELPING MOM.
( Maybe with just a tiny bit of ulterior motive ).
I think this was one of the ' help out for moms ' that some of the kids enjoyed doing.
Fresh Peas with the Sunday lunch today. Sitting on the back yard step with your brother or your sister, a bag of unshelled peas on one side and the ' colander ' on the other.
Split the pea pod and slide the peas into the colander. Treat yourselves to a pea or two in the process, especially those little ones that tasted so sweet. Pop one into your mouth here and there, Lovely.
Watch it though, make sure that there's enough going into the colander. Mom won't be pleased if there's not enough left for the dinner.
Sketch : All set.

Roy.... Fresh peas, a real treat. Nothing frozen in those days, and yes, it was fun shelling the peas, with the odd one 'popping' into the mouth.

I sometimes wonder how we existed. Powdered eggs, milk and potatoes. Camp coffee, Cod Liver Oil, Virol, spam, almost black bread, turnips, swedes, parsnips, with an apple or pear, a real treat. Manage we did, and there was very little obese folk around in those days.

Makes one wonder who ate the healthier food. The forties child, or the 21st century child. I know who my monies on.

Eddie.

Helping Mom. I seem to remember sitting with my hands about 18-24 inches apart with both thumbs up, across which was placed a hank (hope that is the right term) of wool. My Mom would then quickly gather the wool to form a ball. Had to remember not to close my hands. Really interesting stuff! Is this still done today? Dave.

farmerdave:

Another wonderful old memory of times gone by. I often did the same thing.. I think we called it a skein, or skane, of wool. Our corner shop, at Anderton Road/Medlicott Road, was a wool shop ran by two very dear old ladies.

The last time I drove past there, some years ago, it was an Indian grocery store, with all the spices on display outside the shop. Times change

Eddie

Farmerdave & Eddie,

Here in Crete, the business of winding wool or yarn into balls is still widely carried out by the old Greek ladies, as is spinning and weaving. Which reminds me that the wife of a friend of mine here still does a lot of machine knitting and I promised to make her the wooden gadget which replaces those outstretched hands. Like lots of things, it's got put onto the back burner due to other interests, but I really must get around to it this summer whilst I still can!

Maurice

Roy, thanks for the memories shelling peas like you l would sit on the back step and shell peas into the colander...while a basin of jelly was on the windowsill setting for Sunday tea...l bet just about every house ate the same for Sunday tea...jelly blamonge and tinned fruit....happy days....Brenda

I have one of those gadgets for skeins of wool, it's a bit like trellis only round, so that it can be opened to the right size. I wish I'd had it years ago when I had to hold the wool for Mom and Nan. I do miss those homely cosy jumpers! I don't miss peeling the pickled onions or gooseberries but I did like podding the peas.

Brenda, I always think of Sunday tea with family when I open a tin of mandarins!
rosie.

Back