• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

Our gang were serial scrumpers, we never ate much of our ill-gotten gains we just loved the excitement I suppose. We could no more ignore a tree laden with fruit than we could walk past a tree full of conkers without wangin' a stick at them!

My 1st wife's uncle used to refer to The Vale of Evesham as his orchards ☺

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

We had houses at "Ilmington Road County Sec/mod School, in1959 they were Stephenson, Watt, Brunel, Telford. I was in Brunel.
Beeches road houses were Barr, Beacon, Tower and Queslet. Different colour cloth bands worn for sports, Tower were yellow which often indicated you were rubbish at sports, like me.

Sash that was the word I was looking for :) thanks Jayell

Last edited:
We had a couple of houses at Soho College in Handsworth. Cavell and Joan of Arc. I was in Cavell house which had a blue sash to be worn around our brown gymslip waist! Joan of Arc had a red sash.

Cannot remember having Houses at Handsworth Kindergarten, Judy, but we certainly had them at Erdington Grammar, Phoenix, Unicorn, Dolphin and Salamander which I was in. The colours were Red, Yellow, Blue and Green and were in the form of a badge which was stitched onto our School Tunics, oh! Those were the days. Perhaps we should start a new thread for these houses. After I left Erdington two more houses were formed as I imagine the school must have grown in numbers.

Hi Katie - I wasn't talking about Handsworth Kindergarten, but Soho College having houses. Although I did also go to Handsworth Kindergarten and if I remember the uniform was green and yellow. Am I right?

Judy

Katie - What years were you at Treggies (Handsworth Kindergarten)? I think I was there from about 1945 for a couple of years. My sister also went there from about 1947 and she remembers more about it than I do. I don't remember any houses there either.

Judy

Alberta,I was there 1950 to 1955, were you on the school photo, it was taken in 1953? Judy, I would have been at Handsworth Kindergarten the same time as your sister, as I left to go to Erdington in 1950. I would think I started round about 1946, having first been to St. Michaels.

A PRETTY SPECIAL TIME. ( 1945 - 46 ). Written note.
I apologise for presenting this post as a written note but after four attempts to type this story from the IPad onto the Forum and not succeeding I'm going for it in this manner.
I thought this a typical story part of a young person growing up in this time period and worth a ' Post '.image.jpg

No problems Roy - long pieces are best copied and pasted to the forum but this way has a nice personal touch.

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Roy, a lovely note as Bernard says , adds a personal touch

Katie, I did have the photo for many years and then it got mislaid in a house move.

Told my husband about this thread, he grew up in Alum Rock 50/60s
his list of childhood memories of growing up in Brum.

Bluebells in Chelmsley
Fishing at Coleshill
Drawing cricket stumps on the neighbours front wall and breaking their windows which his Dad had to replace.
Taking an old pram to get coke from Saltley Gas works
Ward End park, rowing boats in the Summer,skating or sledging in the winter
Opal fruits and the mints made by opal fruits, lovely and chewy.

Last edited:
Thinking about ' Growing Up ' in general terms.
When would you reckon Growing Up has been accomplished and put behind us ?
We know it has a beginning ( reasonably identifiable ) but does it really have an ' achieved finishing line ' during a life time?
I guess some thoughts would run along the lines that the Growing Up period lasts through to the point were we have developed and reached maturity and become an adult.
Picked out a couple of quotes :
(1) I am convinced that most people do not grow up ...We marry and dare to have children and call that growing up.
( Maya Angelou )
(2) When we are children we seldom think of the future. This innocence leaves us free to enjoy ourselves as few adults can. The day we fret about the future is the day we leave our childhood behind.
( Patrick Rothfuss ).
For my money, I reckon that I am still growing up BUT AT A MUCH SLOWER RATE NOW.

Defining periods during Growing Up. ( sketches ).
Top sketch : ( 1946 ). Finished Elementary School at 14 years old, began work as a factory trainee, worked diligently and took his opportunities as they came along, he attended ' Night School ' for Six years and ended his working career as a
' Project Engineer ' in one of Brums leading engineering companies.
Bottom sketch : ( 2014 ). Four Students celebrating their University Degree passes ( Ages 21 to 22 years old ), shortly to decide whether they will take a Sabbatical year before they look for work.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 36
Did'nt appreciate the experience at the time. ( 1948 ish ).
Had been treated to a day out to Blackpool to watch a professional dance competition at the Tower Ballroom. Part of the treat was a dinner at one of Blackpools posh hotels. During the dinner there was an obvious ' V.I.P. Entrance' into the restaurant area and in came a group of Labour Party Cabinet ministers, having just finished a session at the Labour Party Conference up there I gathered, and about to have their evening meal.
I remember spotting the ' gaffer ' Clement Atlee ( Prime Minister ) and Herbert Morrison ( with his little hair quiff on top of his head ), there was also, I believe, the rest of the Cabinet in attendance , those being Aneuran Bevan, Ernest Bevan, Hugh Dalton, Emanuel Shinwell and Sir Stafford Cripps.
The point of the story ?
At this time there was very little ' media ' coverage of leading personalities , there was no Television and the only coverage
of leading personalities was through Newspapers and Cinema News Reels.
I had very little interest in politics at the time so I paid little attention to this rather unique scene and just continued to enjoy my own meal .
It's only as time has passed that I have appreciated the memory of that experience.

Roy's delightful memoir reminds me of my own political education a year or two earlier.

One morning at school, early in the summer term of 1945, I was asked a rather testing question.

VE Day had occurred a short time previously and had been celebrated with quiet joy and relief by my parents and in a far noisier and less restrained manner by my friends and me. I was not aware at that moment that, just as the German political situation had completely changed, so our own was about to change as well: our Prime Minister, true to his democratic principles, would shortly decide to dissolve the wartime coalition and call an early General Election

Very soon afterwards I arrived one morning at my Junior School in Sutton, garbed as usual in the school uniform: black blazer, matching peaked cap pulled down over the forehead, short grey trousers and long woollen socks, at that early stage in the day pulled up tidily to just below the knee; and with my brown leather satchel firmly strapped to my back. As I approached the tall, early-Victorian building in which my classroom was located, I was immediately surrounded by a group of my contemporaries comprising both friends, and, more worryingly, others. By some earlier freak of circumstance, I had entered this school when I was at an age, and therefore of a size, which was at least a year less than the class average. The group which surrounded me was, in both respects and at the very least, definitely “average”. They were all demanding to know whether I was “Conservative” or “Labour.”

It was clear that not only was an answer required but also there was only one which would be acceptable. From time to time in life one faces a question which tends rather to put one on the back foot since there is a supposition of background knowledge which in fact does not exist: this was my first experience of such an event and I was finding it far from comfortable. In fact, I didn't have the foggiest notion what they were talking about. In the absence of any knowledge whatsoever to draw upon, I indulged in some rapid thought processes which with hindsight I view as not unimpressive for a just-about nine-year-old in some considerable social difficulty. My reasoning was that my father worked in a Birmingham metal-bashing factory. I knew that he had responsibility for a number of people who actually made things. Such people were generally described, in newspapers and elsewhere, as labour. And so I reasoned that the truthful answer, on the balance of probability, was therefore that one supported “Labour”.

Unfortunately this was not the correct answer. My response, the result of so much rapid and ingenious calculation, was greeted with howls of derision. To my surprise and considerable relief, however, this was the limit of my interrogators’ reaction to my error and no attempt was made to further my political education by physical means. Instead they rushed off excitedly to seek another political innocent with whom to pursue their enquiries. I made sure on my return home that afternoon that I would seek urgent guidance. My mother’s gentle answer to my enquiry was: “Well, dear, we support Mr. Churchill and therefore we vote Conservative”.

I returned to school the following morning, confident in being ready with the right answer to any repetition of yesterday’s enquiry. But I do not recall ever being asked that question again at school, either that morning or at any time in the future, since obviously some other enthusiasm had rapidly superseded the keen, but very temporary interest in politics in the mind of my peers: perhaps the making of paper aeroplanes or the playing of soldiers or the delights of the imminent cricket season. And so I never had the satisfaction of giving the politically correct reply. But my mother’s guidance stayed with me and comfortably outlived my time at the Junior School....and perhaps even beyond, by which time I really ought to have been making my own decisions.

Chris

Back