• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Growing Up In Brum - Roy Blakey Inspired.

I believe the Italians have a similar arrangement, Maurice, haven't spoken for a while, hope all's well in Crete, my very close friend, Greg Davos, a distinguished Greek Scientist, has landed a plum government job in Crete, and has invited me over when this pestilence has gone, hope I could meet you if I go. Regards Paul

That would be great, Paul, providing it is not at the western end of the island! We have no trains and anything beyond Heraklion involves a change of bus. If your friend is a scientist he'll most likely be employed by either Heraklion University or Hospital or Rethymnon University as there is not a great deal of industry on the island. We have four provinces on the island and at the moment we are not allowed to travel between provinces without a substantiated reason, i.e. job or medical.

We're still OK, but there has been an outbreak of Covid at a nursery school in Aghios Nikolas, about 15 minutes drive away, involving three teachers, 20 toddlers and 27 other adults, so the province of Lasithi has been made a red zone with a curfew from 6:00pm to 5:00am from tomorrow onwards. So far our village is clear and has always been, but I haven't left the village for several weeks now as I have no need. Please keep me posted, but I don't think that there will be much international travel for quite a while yet.

Maurice :cool:

I remember from my childhood, that society was a lot more accommodating and kinder, where in the main, good manners were used by mostly everybody. So much so that in my junior school they were in the educational curriculum, and a Kindness costs nothing", sticker on every door of the school". It seems outlawed today you have to be careful holding a door for somebody, and if you do, hardly anyone says thank you. I remember being on a tram as a child, and everyone who got on said "Morning all, and when they got off, "Ta rah a bit". I remember even "Teddy Boys", holding a pram for a mom to get on or off a bus, or helping an elderly person the same, they may very well have belted their peers at the Lacarno of a Saturday night, but they had been bought up to show some regard to the people I have mentioned, seems to have nearly all disappeared now, though in saying that during this pandemic , I have seen much kindness, sometimes. Paul

I lived, well we lived, in Reddings Lane, down the Warwick Road end from about 1960, our house was on the opposite side to the schools, Yardley and Formans Road, and we backed onto the YGS playing fields. Saw many changes in that street over the forty years plus that I lived there. A great place for kids to grow up. I don't recognise Tyseley whenever I pass through it these days, everything has gone or is changing.

Back