• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Grove Vale, Great Barr

Nodrogw

knowlegable brummie
I realise that this may need to have been directed at a forum that deals with Staffordshire rather than Birmingham, but parts of Great Barr are now in Birmingham. My grandfather, Harry Robert Wynniatt lived in Grove Vale from around 1905, until about 1818. I know that he was shown as a Coachman in the 1911 Census. It would be very helpful if anyone can give me any information abouth the area at that time, and, of course, if it is possible to tell me who my grandfather was working for, that would be a huge bonus.

map2C_Grove_vale_c_1901.jpg

don't have much information, but this map c 1901 may help. Unfortunately the one below has not yet been covered by alan godfrey
mike

Thanks very much. I visited the area a few days ago, but of course it is nothing like it was in 1901.

Hi all,
I grew up in Grove Vale Avenue, it looks to me like Grove Vale Hse occupied the site later used by Handsworth Dairies as a depot. Closed in the 70's and houses were built. One large old house still remained where the cottage was, could be the same?
Chris Warr.

Hi, one of my uncle’s was a chauffeur and lived in a gate house just across the Newton Road from the entrance to Grove Vale c1950, which is just out of sight at the bottom of the map shown above. That area of Great Barr was very smart at the turn of the 20th century and there was quite a few large estates/homes - it could have been Grove Hill House shown on the map? There was and still is the Red House which is now Red House Park. A bit further away was Great Barr Hall, my maternal grandfather could remember the old Lady Scott riding round in a horse drawn carriage when he was a lad c1900. My paternal great grandmother was a servant in ”Hill House?” before she married in 1873. I personally new the area quite well before they built the housing estates.

Back