• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grove Lane, Harborne

Hi sorry to hear that. No worries just thought other people may also have some photos they would like to share. Take care David x

It's an age think and age consequences!
I'm looking through my old photos bit by bit.
I lost many more old photos about 10 years ago when my computer failed, I never backed them up unfortunately. I've got my Harborne photos though, and some Selly Oak too.
I'm trying to get more information on Selly Oak at moment but things have become harder to get now for some strange reason.
I used to take photos for a Selly Oak historion James Hyland, but Jim died suddenly in 2009. Jim was an encyclopedia of local knowledge, he really was.
I haven't been to Harborne much of late, I must go there soon possibly.
I used to live in Poole crescent as I've told you, the Roman history there is interesting, like Metchley Fort on the QE hospital site.
I have some out of print brochures of Metchley Fort, short but interesting.
I spent many many hours as a young boy playing on the fields where the new QE site is now, it was just open fields, no houses except those in Metchley Lane. The old reconstruction roman gatehouse posts are still there near the main entrance to the hospital, no one seems to interested nowadays, seems our history has been overlooked due to political correctness!!
Still one day people might wake up when it's to late and all is lost forever.

I was borne in Selly Oak and most of my family were. I was born in 6 Chapel Lane, my Dad was born at the bottom of Chapel Lane Opposite the Bus Garage and my Gran was born just down from the Oak cinima. My other grand parents and all my Aunts and uncles lived in Healy Rd. When I married I moved to Dawlish Rd. Mom, Dad my brother and sister worked at Cadbury. Dad worked at Elliott’s just after the war. My sister worked at the battery. Later we all moved to Harborne where I did. OST of my growing up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was borne in Selly Oak and most of my family were. I was born in 6 Chapel Lane, my Dad was born at the bottom of Chapel Lane Opposite the Bus Garage and my Gran was born just down from the Oak cinima. My other grand parents and all my Aunts and uncles lived in Healy Rd. When I married I moved to Dawlish Rd. Mom, Dad my brother and sister worked at Cadbury. Dad worked at Elliott’s just after the war. My sister worked at the battery. Later we all moved to Harborne where I did. OST of my growing up. I have 4 Harborne Groups full of old photos. Are you on Facebook?.

hi brenda perhaps you would like to share some of your photos with us on here...thanks

lyn

....Good point, Lyn....and it's worth reminding any member looking at this thread that, in contrast with other platforms, any information and images posted in the Forum become readily Googleable. Ask any of the 476 visitors (i.e. non-members) who are looking at the Forum at this moment - most of them are probably here because Google has helped them find us.....

Chris

this thread has now been re opened...could the team kindly ask members to stay on topic...

thank you

Photos I promised you.
Yes, great memories for me. I lived in Poole Crescent until 1965 or thereabouts. At Peters school until 1958.Mr Lloyd was the then headmaster there. Mr Radford my last teacher. I recall the 'prefab' style class room's that ran alongside the avenue to Harborne Park Rd. Larry and Roger the twins lived near the hillyfields pub in Quinton Rd, they were my mates then. But Grove Lane was my favourite local spot, always popped into Kenricks Park, was a private little farm then with a small orchard. A pond was in there too full of newts etc. We got chased out by a grumpy old farmer!
Very occasionally I drive through that area, my grandparents are buried in St Peters cemetery. Elsie and Harold Smith. Well nearly in 2020 now, I'll never let these memories go.
I just tried to upload the photos if St Peters school Church entrance as accidently damaged. Message says images to big to send.. I'm puzzled.

If Harborne Library wasn't closed to the public because of Covid 19................................

I was going to suggest that anyone interested in old photographs of Harborne visit Harborne Library as they have several hundred photographs of Harborne - much better collection than the Central Library and some real gems. Quite a lot of Harborne Hall including the prep school.

I too walk along Grove Lane to St Peter’s School in the 50s from where I bed on the Hillyfields Estate.I remember when I first walked along it it was a muddy lane, It was in later years the road was done. There was a fence and wall all down the side of the lane where Grove Hall stood. Sadly both Grove Hall and the fence/ walls have gone. The Convent is now a Hotel.
Yes, great memories for me. I lived in Poole Crescent until 1965 or thereabouts. At Peters school until 1958.Mr Lloyd was the then headmaster there. Mr Radford my last teacher. I recall the 'prefab' style class room's that ran alongside the avenue to Harborne Park Rd. Larry and Roger the twins lived near the hillyfields pub in Quinton Rd, they were my mates then. But Grove Lane was my favourite local spot, always popped into Kenricks Park, was a private little farm then with a small orchard. A pond was in there too full of newts etc. We got chased out by a grumpy old farmer!
Very occasionally I drive through that area, my grandparents are buried in St Peters cemetery. Elsie and Harold Smith. Well nearly in 2020 now, I'll never let these memories go.
I used to love the walk up Grove Lane to St Peter’s school. The convent was beautiful. The nuns let me in one day to pick conkers. I started St Peter’s in 1961 and lived in Quinton Road, Poole Crescent was a short distance away I used to play with Carol Stamps.
The Kenricks was great before it was a park. We used to sneak in on the way home from school. It was a super place to grow up in so many open spaces around we played on the dumps at the back of the Hillyfields.

Back