• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Grove Farm Fulford Hall Stratford Road Springfield

Vivienne14

Kentish Brummie Moderator
Staff member
This looks like an image (1897) by the Warwickshire Photographic group (possibly in the Shoothill Collection ?). According to the label it was once owned by the Greswolds of Solihull. But was it in Solihull ? Anyone know where exactly this was along the Stratford Road ? Looks more like a Manor House to me. Viv.

B49403D8-8FD1-4338-B811-685F5A9042DD.jpeg

Thanks Janice. For some reason I imagined it was near the Cole much further south but that now makes sense. Can you tell me the name of the farm on the west just off the map (#2) please ? Can just make out “... lands”. Is it Woodlands ? Viv.

Following a bit of searching, Bill Dargue says this about the farm

“...... on the Stratford Road between Grove Road and Greswolde Road was Fulford Hall later Grove Farm. This is known from a photograph of 1895 to have been a large four-bay timber-framed building probably dating back to the 14th century. An upper floor and parlour wing were added c1600, a brick-infilled timber-framed service wing half a century later and a brick scullery 19th century. The farm was a holding of Maxstoke Priory until Henry VIII's dissolution of the monasteries when it was bought by the Greswold family. The farmland was sold by a Greswolde descendant in 1896 to the Freehold Land Society, one of the earliest building societies founded in 1848. The farmhouse was demolished by 1897”.Source: https://billdargue.jimdofree.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-s/sparkhill/

What an interesting building it was. Viv.

Last edited:
Is there a connection?
Oh Viv - this is too tempting - I am supposed to be gardening on this lovely day.

To a Shirley girl Fulford Hall is a grade 2 listed building in Fulford Hall Road Tidbury Green. It is actually shown on the 1883 map. There is also a Fulford Hall Farm.

Details

FULFORD HALL ROAD 1. 5108 HOCKLEY HEATH Fulford Hall SP 07 SE 25/323 II

2. 1887-90 house in grounds. Carefully designed in Tudor style, of red brick with stone dressings. Tiled roof with lower projecting gables at either end of front. 2 storeys and attics. Lattice casement windows with stone mullions, some transoms and dripmoulds. Closed gabled porch right of centre has 2 pairs of Doric pilasters, entablature and pediment with strapwork round rectangular panel in tympanum. Elliptical arched doorway, 2 fold ribbed door. Large multi-light window right of porch has 6 segmentally arched lights.

Listing NGR: SP0966075001

1903 map
1618830868609.png

Last edited:
The Fulford Hall in Solihull is listed on 1891 census but only the gardener and his wife (the cook) are there. Similarly on 1881. I was trying to see who might have had it built but it looks as if it was a country house not permanently occupied.

Last edited:
The Birmingham Libraries, Iron Room features an article "My Route-A People’s History of Stratford Road”
This includes another picture of Grove Farm from 1897. (Actually the same as in post 1)

Last edited:
Presumably this links to the project referred to in post #1 here

Back