• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Groups We Have Seen Live

In no particular order: Elton John, Simply Red,Celine Dion, Gloria Estephan (brilliant!) Tina Turner, the Corrs, Searchers. Hollies, Neil Sedaka, Nolan sisters. Tony Christie, Showaddywaddy, Cliff and the Shads (loads of times) Eurythmics, Michael Buble (oh my word !!!), Joe Brown, Glen Campbell, Suzi Quatro, Elkie Brooks and Liberace. Saw Brenda Lee (who was my hubbies all time favourite ) at the Night Out. She sat on his lap during her act and I thought he would die of ecstasy. Who would I like to have seen? Frank Sinatra and Queen definitely.

In Brum, mostly at The Odeon, Bingley Hall or The Carlton (Mothers)

Status Quo
The Foundations
Jimi Hendrix
The Move
The Yard Birds
Animals
Stevie Wonder
Swinging Blue Jeans
The Fortunes
The Searchers
Deep Purple
Fleetwood Mac

The Searchers in Hamburg , Papa Bue and his Viking Jazz Band in Walsrode and the wild man of British rock Wee Willie Harris at The Cresta Club Solihull (Twice) Barron Knights at The Night Out and Chas and Dave at The Night Out. The most entertaining Wee Willie Harris.

Well I have a comprehensive list to post. Those with an asterix (*) I saw with my wife. No asterix = my wife only.

Queen (in South Africa)............ Everly Brothers* ...............Marty Robbins* ...................Raymond Froggatt*
Chris De Burgh (in SA) twice .....Sam and Dave ..................Charlie Pride* ....................Jasper Carrot*
Beatles ...................................Buffy Saint Marie ...............Waylon Jennings* ...............Mike Nesmith (Monkkes)*
Eddie Cochran .........................Beach Boys .......................The Glaser Brothers* ...........Pickettywitch*
Gene Vincent ...........................Chuck Berry ......................Sonny Terry & ....................Frank Ifield*
Lonnie Donegan .......................Little Richard .........................Brownie McGee ..............Long John Baldry
Joe Brown* .............................Leo Sayer* .......................Helen Shapiro ....................The Weavers
Beverley Sisters* .....................Kenny Rogers* ..................Stones ...............................Ramblin' Jack Elliott
Bob Dylan ................................Crystal Gail* .....................Loretta Lynn* ......................The Hollies*
Roy Orbison .............................Rockin' Berries* ................Animals
Jerry Lee Lewis* ......................Emile Ford ........................Alan Price*
Smokey* ................................Tremeloes* .......................Gerry & The Pacemakers
Johnny Cash* ......................... Tommy Steele ...................Fairport Convention*
June Carter* ............................Charlie Rich* ....................Swinging Blue Jeans
Carl Perkins* ...........................Merle Haggard* .................Gerry Dorsey (Engelbert)
Don Williams* ..........................Brenda Lee* ......................Tammy Wynette*
The Gatlins* ............................George Jones* ...................Alex Campbell
Boxcar Willie* ..........................Faron Young* ....................Bread* (SA)
Bill Monroe* ............................Flatt & Scruggs* .................Jimmy C Newman*

Plus lots of Country stars most of you won't know!
That will do for now. It's turned 1.00am and we are off to bed.

Tommy Steele, Lord Rockingham X1 with Cherry Wayner ?, Nancy Whiskey, Them, Brian Auger Trinity, Small Faces, Sounds Incorporated, Jerry Lee Lewis, Gene Vinvent, The Springfields, Dusty Springfield (well her back anyway, the seat behing the artists at the Town Hall), Bobby Vee, Tornadoes with Heinz, Savoy Brown Blues Band, Spencer Davis Group, the proper Fleetwood Mac with Peter Green before they went all girlie and soft, Joe Brown,Billy Fury, Marty Wilde,

Ooooh Lordy - where to start.....??? Laugh, laugh!!!! Most of these bands I've seen numerous times over the years....

Jethro Tull
Alice Cooper
Ozzy Osbourne
Iron Maiden
Rush
Gary Moore
Dio
Metallica
Guns and Roses
Dave Lee Roth
Megadeth
Bon Jovi
Magnum
Seth Lakeman
Marillion
Motley Crue
Arch Enemy
Slade (1st concert I ever went to!! Laugh!!)
Diamond Head
Eric Bell Band
Bjork
Strapping Young Lad
Shy
Alien Sex Fiend
Queensryche
Warlock
Mammas Boys
Pendragon
Roulette

So many when I was in my teens.... I can't recall a lot off the top of my noddle.....???

All the best...

Not many...

Grumbleweeds.
Status Quo.
Shadows.
Gladys Knight and the Pips.
Beautiful South.
Jean Michel Jarre.
Kodo
Rats in the kitchen ( UB40 tribute band)
Show of Hands

I think I should have got out more. Big Gee you mentioned my favourite band - The BONZO DOG BAND. Their 40th anniversary concert is playing in the background as I write, with guests Adrian Edmonson, Stephen Fry, Paul Merton and Phil Jupitus.

All I can add are:-
AC/DC
Spencer Davies and a host of names to become famous over Burtons' Outfitters in Erdington High Street - remember ?

Oh, forgot about the Baron Knights and the Wurzels at the Dolce Vita.

The Searchers in Hamburg , Papa Bue and his Viking Jazz Band in Walsrode and the wild man of British rock Wee Willie Harris at The Cresta Club Solihull (Twice) Barron Knights at The Night Out and Chas and Dave at The Night Out. The most entertaining Wee Willie Harris.

Big Gee you mentioned my favourite band - The BONZO DOG BAND. Their 40th anniversary concert is playing in the background as I write, with guests Adrian Edmonson, Stephen Fry, Paul Merton and Phil Jupitus.

Ah the Bonzos, inspired lunacy. I think Monty Python learned a lot from them.

Vivian Stanshall was wonderful.

I remember watching them on TV when I was a teenager in the kids TV show "Do not adjust your set".

What a cast - David Jason, Denise Coffey, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin (so 3/5s of Python) PLUS the Bonzos.

I used to love it.

Ah the Bonzos, inspired lunacy. I think Monty Python learned a lot from them.
Vivian Stanshall was wonderful.
I remember watching them on TV when I was a teenager in the kids TV show "Do not adjust your set". What a cast - David Jason, Denise Coffey, Eric Idle, Terry Jones, Michael Palin (so 3/5s of Python) PLUS the Bonzos. I used to love it.

Hear! Hear! Me too Definitely the Monty Python seed was sown on this show.

I can now add Marty Wilde, Eden Kane and Mike Berry. I went to the Alex last night to see the show and what a night. Marty is now 73 and his voice was superb. Eden Kane now living in Los Angeles and looking good. John Leyton should have been on the show but had been quite ill, so Mike Berry took his place, again his voice was super. Marty's daughter Roxanne came on and sang on her own and also with her father. Her rendition of 'Who's sorry now' was fantastic. The last song that Marty did he dedicated to all those super singer of the late 50s/60s who had passed away. Elvis, Eddie Cochrane, Gene Vincent, Adam Faith, Jet Harris, Sam Cooke, Frankie Lymon, Gene Vincent, Big Bopper, Buddy Holly , to name but a few. The song was 'Are you lonesome tonight'. Boy did it turn back the years, espcially when he sang The 65 Special.

Cant believe I never noticed this page before. Now I will have to go and sit down and make a list. Be back at a later time.

My list will be short, (I joined the army in'57).

Winifred Attwell, with my parents.
The Platters.
Both times at the Hip'

My kids wanted to take me to see The Everlys in the 80s but I declined, feeling that they wouldn't sound the same as they did when I worshipped them.

What a challenge, where do you start from Bill Haley to the Mothers of Invention. It is dead easy to say who I haven't seen. I never saw the Beatles (nor Elvis, of course)

Maypolebaz, I saw The Everleys at NEC in the 80s - again another great night. They had fallen out for many years before hand, and I dont think they were really happy on the night as they didnt really speak to each other. But great music. There were a couple of their songs sang last night. Let it be me was one of them

I saw Status Quo at the NEC once. We had seats four rows from the front. With 48 kilo watts of sound power coming out of the speakers, I was a trifle deaf after, so much so, that when I went out to start my car in the car park after the event, I hung on the starter wondering why it wouldn't start. It was actually running, but I couldn't hear it. So the starter was trying to catch up with a running engine. Great show though.

I saw Status Quo at the NEC once. We had seats four rows from the front. With 48 kilo watts of sound power coming out of the speakers, I was a trifle deaf after, so much so, that when I went out to start my car in the car park after the event, I hung on the starter wondering why it wouldn't start. It was actually running, but I couldn't hear it. So the starter was trying to catch up with a running engine. Great show though.

The original line up (Rossi, Parfitt, Alan Lancaster and John Coghlan ) are reforming for series of gigs next March, including Wolverhampton Civic Hall!

Used to go to The Belfry in the late 60's/early 70's. They booked bands well in advance. By happy circumstance, often, the Bands booked would have a record in the Top 10 by the date of their appearance. This way, I saw most of the 60s Bands and quite a few 70s for a cheaper price than usual. (I remember Curved Air were the support Group there on Saturday night, the preceeding Thursday, "Back Street Luv" had gone to No1! ... Very unusual night that was......!)
Later we'd go to the Railway in Curzon St, you never knew who'd be there. The Winwoods, Roy Wood. most of ELO, and others passed through.
Tamworth, in the 60s was a stop for most top groups. hence the Beatles, Stones, etc., being there.

the first group/band I saw was Xavier Cugat and Abbe Lane in a Hong Kong Cinema in 1953 or 54, South American 'brass' music which I have always been partial to, the last group I saw were the Bachelors, actually went to see Frankie Laine at some night club in Solihull and the Bachelors and Frank Carson were on the Bill. Cannot think when that was may be 70's or even 80's

Last edited:
Heavy Metal Kids(Gary Holton)
Cockney Rebel
Bebop De-luxe
One the Juggler(with Mick Ronson)
The Stranglers
The Jam
Edwin Starr
Rubber Rhino
Neon Hearts
The Kinks
The Gas
Jackson Five
The Move
Wire
Swinging Blue Jeans
Cimerons

More when I can think of them..

Carol, I saw the Everlys at the NEC in the 80's too - great show musically!!
Favourite for me is still Chris de Burgh, my first "grown-up" concert at the Odeon when I had just started training - had seen Mud, Shawaddywaddy and Leo Sayer, but all with someones parents accompanying us.
Love Bryan Adams too and the Levellers, and a new band, spin off from one of the Levellers, Simon Friends Seismic Survey.
Wosrt gig ever is a toss up between Pop will eat itself and AC/DC, both abysmal!!!
Sue

I've seen loads of the 60's groups including the Beatles (twice) - Last week I saw the Pointer Sisters and the week before I saw Boys II Men

In the 70's we used to go to the "Night Out" on the Horsefair. Its had several names since, Dome, Dome II, etc., The 2 most memorable evenings there was (a) Showaddywaddy - hundreds of 'Teds' all in the Drapes, Beetle Crushers, Bootlace Ties, dancing and singing along ......... and (b) Jim Davidson, fresh from New Faces. His "Nick-Nick" routine directed at a table of about 100 WM Police officers right next to the stage, but what had the whole room aching with laughter, including many black people, was his second half "Chalkie" routine.
We saw many top stars there, Gene Pitney, Roy Orbison, etc.,

hello big gee
as luck has it me and my two mates queued that night to see the beatles and we got in.we got drenched that night. they just recorded.. please please me....happy days........ billy regan

Back